Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I downloaded and compiled the new source distribution...

from.. all i can find is 3468...not that it matters now

Maybe I've missed something, but I've had no luck so far with iMacPro1,1 as it seems to stay suck on:

Code:
Using reloc bloc: no, hibernate wake:no

Only iMac17,1 can pass this stage successfully (and it's been happening since yesterday on any Clover release I've tested).

Maybe I've missed something, but I've had no luck so far with iMacPro1,1 as it seems to stay suck on:

Code:
Using reloc bloc: no, hibernate wake:no

Only iMac17,1 can pass this stage successfully (and it's been happening since yesterday on any Clover release I've tested).

You cannot currently use SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 on a 10.13.2 USB Flash Drive Installer... Your system simply won't boot...
You have to install 10.13.2 with SMBIOS iMac17,1 on both USB Flash Drive Installer and 10.13 System Disk and subsequently switch to SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 in the frame of the post-installation process.

My detailed instructions for the subsequent SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 implementation can be found at the beginning of Section E.)..

You cannot currently use SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 on a 10.13.2 USB Flash Drive Installer... Your system simply won't boot...
You have to install 10.13.2 with SMBIOS iMac17,1 on both USB Flash Drive Installer and 10.13 System Disk and subsequently switch to SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 in the frame of the post-installation process.

My detailed instructions for the subsequent SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 implementation can be found at the beginning of Section E.)..

Got it! Thank you :)

I have a question, could you please mention where you got the fakesmc.kext from please? The one I use to get was located there: https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-fakesmc-kozlek/downloads/ but it seems the one you're using is quite different. Has it been patched or anything?

Hi @kgp

Have you thought of creating a beta thread, where we could try and discuss the latest implementations? In the current case it would be the latest Clover and iMacPro SMBIOS?

The reason I'm asking is that doing these changes here in the main thread might even cause more work for you, because of all the help you have to give when some new implementation doesn't work as expected.

In such a gigantic thread like this, with so many users participating, trying some new configuration might just bring lots of noise, with lots of users reporting issues that in the end are simply fixed in a later release (of clover or of SMBIOS).

Since the configuration of Clover 4356 and SMBIOS 17,1 is quite stable, I think the main thread could stay like this, and then we would have a "beta" thread where we would be discussing all the new possible improvements.

Perhaps managing two threads, a big and stable one, and a smaller with beta configurations, would be easier for you?

It is just a suggestion. In my case, I prefer to wait for the official releases (10.13.3 plus NVIDIA web drivers plus clover) before moving to iMacPro1,1, since my system has been very stable so far.

OTOH, perhaps it's because you like to implement the latest stuff and research problems and give support for people that are stuck that this thread is so successful.

Anyway, just an idea for you to consider.

Thanks for all the help!

Hey man, thanks for your help testing that project,
Forgot to tell ya, I have that setup at 96 Khz, and buffering 2048.

View attachment 304210

Also the music wave file is stereo. Could you pls redo the test, thanks.
You can get Reaper for 60 days trial,

https://www.reaper.fm/download.php

Thanks again.

Hi I made a test with Reaper with your settings, and the limit is pretty much the same as yours (9 plugin instances). BUT again, you should not stack all plugins on a single track, because those are processed sequentially by a single core/thread - with that track setup you would get a slightly better result from an 8700k, which has a single core performance higher than a 7900x.

As far as I know, in order to test your CPU load, you should scale horizontally by adding more tracks, i.e. I would create a lot of tracks with n<9 instances of the plugin, or use BUS routing techniques... In this way you SHOULD be able to reach a MUCH higher plugin count (I'm not sure about Reaper, though)

Again, have you tried removing FakeCPUID? It made the difference on the overall number of tracks/plugins manageable, for me at least, as you can see from my previous post.

@kgp: I wanted to share these findings with you. If you look at Apple default catalog URLs (https://swscan.apple.com/content/ca...ion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog.gz) you can see, searching for the "a0p216ukywyxia77i36ujq0bq91ghcyyaf" key, the download links for 10.13.2 iMacPro1,1 specific build. Resulting installer allows installation for iMacPro1,1 board-id only.

By installing that build (17C2120) - you are then allowed to download and install the 10.13.3 beta 3 update from Appstore, again a different build (17D2029A) from "standard" beta3.

Behaviour seems exactly the same as "standard" beta3, that is:
- several (additional) USB errors on startup
- USB limited @USB2 speed (480 Mb/sec instead of 5Gb in 10.13.2)
I'm using your very same configuration except for FakeCPUID.

That is, I cannot see any improvement for X299, even though I'm using the iMacPro specific builds... Furthermore in 10.13.3 betas the situation is worse than 10.13.2 for both "standard" and iMacPro releases, regarding USB.
If you need me to check something specific... Let me know.

Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 10.56.13.png

@kgp,

I cannot find where you got the SmallTree-Intel-211-AT-PCIe-GBE.kext from, would you mind providing the source? Thank you.

Also, some mistakes/concerns about the guide:

Code:
#ISSUE08 - IntelMausiEthernet.kext?
---------
The guide doesn't mention the IntelMausiEthernet.kext present in the kext/Others folder of Clover EFI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back