Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello KGP
I created a High Sierra disc
I put the disk in the pc, I get to have the Clover page, I select the boot disk.
He shows me the Apple then reboot, then the screen Clover returns so on.
Thanks for your feedback.

I created a High Sierra installation USB with an EFI partition, and I formatted my destination disk in HFS +i.I created the EFI folder and copied EFI-X299-10.13.2-Release-161217.
At the moment High Sierra is being installed.

@nachosband, provided your hardware list it seems that you aim at a "low-cost" implementation, which is totally fine with me. Nevertheless, I would go for the i9-7900X, due to it's 44 PCIe lane implementation. In any case, your choice ;)

Also be aware that the LOGIC problem yet might not have been be solved in 100%. Thus, if your machine is going to be mainly dedicated to Logic operation, I would rather wait with the purchase. In any case, also your decision.. ;)

Good luck,

KGP

You're right, I chose the i7-7820X for budget reasons, but thinking about future system improvement (HDX cards, UAD cards, M.2 drives, etc...) I'll follow your advice and go with the i9-7900X. Thanks!!

Last edited:
I may need a tad help. Absolutely everything is working now except for audio. Kudos for the easy writeup.

I have a Asus Prim X299-A instead of the deluxe so maybe that is the reason.

I tried the AppleALC part of the equation. I already had Lilu so I just added the AppleALC kext into the "Other" part of the Clover in my EFI folder, enabled the CAVS -> HDEF and made sure my mode was 7 in Devices. But nothing shows in Preferences -> Sound except my JBL USB Speakers (which I want to move elsewhere).

I assume that my settings should be the same as the X299 Deluxe in the audio department but I'm not quite sure.

anybody with an nvidia card having shutdown restart issues? seems to only be an issue with the web driver enabled... during shutdown in verbose without the driver loaded the last step is "waiting for intel mausi" and then black screen and machine powers off..

with the driver loaded installed i dont see the "waiting for intel mausi" text and it never powers off the machine, just get a black screen.

not sure if this is somehow related to the driver or what. but anyone else with this issue or with a fix?

@0herbert0 : Yes, Vega’s 64 working out of the box, same for the Vega Frontier. HDMI/DisplayPort Audio, Sleep etc works like it should be with an native card.

I have two of Sapphire Vega 64’s - 21275-02-20G .
MacOS doesn’t support Crossfire but if you use Software which can handle 2 Cards you definitely will see the difference performance wise.

I have a full custom loop for CPU (which I Delided) and also my GPUs.

Components:

Alphacool Eisblock CPU Header

Alphacool VPP755

Alphacool Eisbecher 250ml

Alphacool NexXxos ST30 360mm - 2x

Alphacool NexXxos ST 280mm

6x 120mm EKWB Vardar

2 x 140mm Noiseblocker B14-1

May I ask you another advice? How much power supply do you have for the 2 GPUs + 7900x ? and which case did you choose?

@paulotex
Hey man, can you pls upload your EFI folder and BIOS setup for your build?
My buddy has extract the same build, as 7820X and the MSI X299 SLI Plus and I am trying to help him out setup his machine,
His Video card is Nvidia 1080,
With latest kgp folder, I got stuck at +++++++++ and I did disable CFG Lock in BIOS already, not sure what other setup might need to be changed?

Many thanks in advance, :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I may need a tad help. Absolutely everything is working now except for audio. Kudos for the easy writeup.

I have a Asus Prim X299-A instead of the deluxe so maybe that is the reason.

I tried the AppleALC part of the equation. I already had Lilu so I just added the AppleALC kext into the "Other" part of the Clover in my EFI folder, enabled the CAVS -> HDEF and made sure my mode was 7 in Devices. But nothing shows in Preferences -> Sound except my JBL USB Speakers (which I want to move elsewhere).

I assume that my settings should be the same as the X299 Deluxe in the audio department but I'm not quite sure.

Which version of AppleALC.kext and Lilu.kext are you using?

anybody with an nvidia card having shutdown restart issues? seems to only be an issue with the web driver enabled... during shutdown in verbose without the driver loaded the last step is "waiting for intel mausi" and then black screen and machine powers off..

with the driver loaded installed i dont see the "waiting for intel mausi" text and it never powers off the machine, just get a black screen.

not sure if this is somehow related to the driver or what. but anyone else with this issue or with a fix?

It seems to be a problem of your system configuration and has nothing to do with the Nvidia Web Driver.

Here everything is working absolutely flawless.

Please improve your system configuration.

@paulotex
Hey man, can you pls upload your EFI folder and BIOS setup for your build?
My buddy has extract the same build, as 7820X and the MSI X299 SLI Plus and I am trying to help him out setup his machine,
His Video card is Nvidia 1080,
With latest kgp folder, I got stuck at +++++++++ and I did disable CFG Lock in BIOS already, not sure what other setup might need to be changed?

Many thanks in advance, :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Hi @RuleBreaker01

My Clover is here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1knlWP5Pm1TkqvLASDtz30DRnDlNGnVlG

You'll find there the config I used for installation (late September, 10.13.0) and the config I'm using for running the system now (10.13.2). Note that I removed all UUID and serials from the SMBios part. Continuity is working fine and I don't want to risk it.

About the BIOS:

I don't have physical access to my machine now, only remote access, so I can't do a BIOS dump. I checked my notes for installation, and just disabling "CFG lock" was enough to pass the ++++ problem.

But also note the need for fixed core voltage for stability. I already posted about that a few times here. I use 1.12V for standard speed and 1.21V for 4.4GHz. I have the best air cooler (Noctua D15), and at 4.4GHz I'm in the limit (95C when running prime95). I also tried 4.5GHz and 1.22V, but the throttling was too much, and performance was worse than 4.4GHz.

Finally, I advise you to disable CSM (compatibility). This saved me lots of headaches when debugging boot problems.

You can also check my installation guide here:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...20x-installation-and-post-installation-steps/

This is a very short guide, you can't compare it to the guide here. For example, the PCI entry in the System Information is empty in my case.

Also note that I use SMBios 18,3, not 17,1. I found that 17,1 gave me problems with the NVIDIA. But this means you need ssdprgen to have good power management, even under 10.13.2. My guide above explains that.

I also avoid lilu+nvidia fix, by using NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext. I think this is not the way to go in the future, because lilu+nvidia fix is better, but I have left it for now.

If you have specific problems, contact me at the thread above. I don't want to bring unnecessary noise here, since I am using a different SMBios than KGP.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back