Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you see if you can measure the performance with this tool and supply your findings?
http://www.evan.se/logicprobenchmark/Logic_Multicore_Benchmark_Test.html
(As a reference, my dual-core MacBook Pro 13-inch, 2016 with TouchBar, manages 37 tracks of this benchmark in Logic Pro X)
(In this thread you can see a lot of results from different machines, including hackintoshes, 5960x does 468 tracks!)

@olofd Thank you i will try it at the moment, install sierra on the nvme. i will install high sierra on second harddrive and will benchmarking.

i sold my old system an i7 this past weekend and Dumped a fortune into This set up hah... i have had Zero luck Getting anything to work at all.. this guide is awesome and full of information but im having a hard time following it..
I have to get my computer working before Tuesday for work. i cant seem to get it to boot from the usb to do a fresh install of high Sierra, same Asus deluxe motherboard as here . 32gb of Ram and a gtx 1080 with a i9 7940X

You should not have sold the old system before running the new one ;) Tuesday is tomorrow... Seeing your problems, I am afraid that you will not make it with your new system within the next hours ..

Well let's try to make this thread interesting again.

Can anybody else of @ALL report boot success without FakeCPUID for a Skylake-X processor different from the i7-7820X?

We know that at least the i7-7800X, i7-7820X or i7-7900X do not require a ssdt.aml anymore since 10.13.1.

Latest news by @interferenc about boot success with the i7-7820X without any FakeCPUID and CPU Type under 10.13.2 are indeed surprising.

@interferenc, after successfully booting your i7-7820X system without any FakeCPUID, CPU Type or ssdt.aml, can you tell us about the apparent CPU details for your i7-7820X processor under "About This Mac" or "Hardware" in the OS X System Report?

Is the processor really properly recognised by OS X?

My new build is a bit different:
Xeon W-2155
Supermicro X11SRA
AMD Vega FE

Got everything running thanks to your guide.

At the moment I also cannot boot without FakeCPUID.
Just injecting plugin type via SSDT, PM seems ok but not perfect.
Seems like one last piece is missing.

And I found this: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/5333497
Who did this benchmark? Someone at Apple?
Look at the build number: macOS 10.13.2 (Build 17C2111)

My new build is a bit different:
Xeon W-2155
Supermicro X11SRA
AMD Vega FE

Got everything running thanks to your guide.

At the moment I also cannot boot without FakeCPUID.
Just injecting plugin type via SSDT, PM seems ok but not perfect.
Seems like one last piece is missing.

And I found this: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/5333497
Who did this benchmark? Someone at Apple?
Look at the build number: macOS 10.13.2 (Build 17C2111)

Very interesting find! Found an article about the geekbench score here:
https://wccftech.com/apple-imac-pro-geekbench-listing-more/

This might be the platform to go with instead of the x299.

How does Supermicro X11SRA work? Planing on doing a guide on it?

Still burned after a bad experience with x99 back in the day when Apple stopped updating their pro-lineup.

This looks good to: http://b2b.gigabyte.com/Server-Motherboard/MW51-HP0-rev-10#ov

Last edited:
You should not have sold the old system before running the new one ;) Tuesday is tomorrow... Seeing your problems, I am afraid that you will not make it with your new system within the next hours ..

no i meant next week Tuesday lol

I just feel like maybe im not getting a minor detail or two. Im having Trouble even getting the usb installer to boot into The installer.

I have pretty much the same set up as you down to the Video card and so on.. I would be willing to pay someone for their time To help me with this, i am Grateful for everything thus far

Very interesting find! Found an article about the geekbench score here:
https://wccftech.com/apple-imac-pro-geekbench-listing-more/

This might be the platform to go with instead of the x299.

How does Supermicro X11SRA work? Planing on doing a guide on it?

Still burned after a bad experience with x99 back in the day when Apple stopped updating their pro-lineup.

This looks good to: http://b2b.gigabyte.com/Server-Motherboard/MW51-HP0-rev-10#ov

The Supermicro boards are solid and stable mainboards.
No onboard fancy RGB LEDs and all that useless stuff ;)

I'm building machines for heavy production use, so I recommend Xeons and ECC RAM.
There is a reason why Apple always used these components in their pro workstations.

Installation is mostly the same as for the X299 boards.
Will share some files when I finalized everything.

KGP , question ..?

for me imei appears as a driver not loaded, is normal ?

what e reviewed in ioreg and I see no error? any ideas

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 130
  • 2.png
    2.png
    101.3 KB · Views: 133
  • 3.png
    3.png
    65.1 KB · Views: 118
I mean ACPI fixes, patches, generate options.. USB inject, AddClock,FixOwnership :eek:
and AppleRTC and first time I see 0x3E7 at the place of 0x67 but it less important than other things ...
which I see rarely (especially almost all fixes checked) :D :p
PS: If everything works correctly for you - it's most important :) :thumbup:
Well, I played 3 hours with lucatze EFI...
It boots, 30 sec slower then KGP EFI. It boots even removing all the fixes and patches and USB inject, AddClock, Fixownership, AppleRTC, and, and, and....BUT...when I run Geekbench it seems to let the processor run higher (more near 4,7GHZ then with KGP EFI -see last immage-
Screen Shot 2017-12-11 alle 19.25.57.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-12-11 alle 19.25.45.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-12-11 alle 16.45.15.jpg
), but it crashes every time, no matter what I do!!!
I also confirm that without ssdtprgen skylake X seems to be supported (AppleInfoMaster gives similar result even without having installed ssdtPRGEN...
Tomorrow I'll trie to lower the overclocking freq. and see if I have the same results as with KGP on 4,7GHZ...until now KGP efi for me is number ONE even on Gigabyte X299 Aorus Gaming 9!!!.
...But having ruined Geekbench with KGP I confirm that the CPU maintains the same benchmark results as in 10.13.1 BUT there is a better support of AMD VEGA FE in MacOS 10.13.2 Geekbench is higher and now 2 monitors are natively supported and the Geekbench looks this like.

I switched it on. The timings are still the same at 16-16-16-36. the volts go up to 1.35 and the frequency is now 3600, but os-x still shows 2133.
I do have XMP 1 switched on in the EFI boot tab. Is there something else I need to do in the EFI?
Well, my DRAM is 3200MHz, but manually overriding the frequency @ 3600 does bring some bump... all the other settings are on AUTO.
I don't know if it can help you, but I guess +10%freq on stock freq. is handled without any effort by each DRAM or component.
Also the stability will not be degraded ... I'm running this setup since many days now and I can only support it.

Another Issue solved the "missing" ICON in clover for my 960EVO NVMe with APFS is solved...
Choose in the theme/icons folder whatever ICON You like (I choosed the "vol_internal_hfs.icns", duplicate the file and rename the new copy as "os_mac.icns"... on the next boot this will become your new "before-missing" 960EVO drive icon.
For me it works perfectly on APFS and iclover theme.
I guess it will work on all themes that natively do not have one "os_mac.icns" you choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back