Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Up to my knowledge, OsxAptioFixDrv does not work... random reboots..

Use it at own risk..

Why one would like to that anyway? What is the reson for?

Do you have problems with system stability using OsxAptioFix2Drv??

I DON’T!!!!

Hey guys, I am also having problems with this driver and found a few dependencies others might also have and like to share:

10.13. USB Installer + OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi = works
10.13. System disk (after install) + OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi = works

10.13.1 USB Installer + OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi = doesn't work (had to use OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi)
10.13.1 Systems disk (after install) + OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi = doesn't work (had to use OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi)

10.13. System disk with OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi --> Update 10.13.1 = doesn't work (had to uninstall the ssd from computer, manually change the OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi in EFI folder to OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi and only then could boot again)

Remember: +++++++++++ is your friend ;-)

Good luck to you all.

It's not just a matter of system stability, my machine will not boot with OsxAptioFix2Drv, as I've previously mentioned. I get roughly the same crash that mthenders reports, to my recollection. I rather stubbornly tried to make OsxAptioFix2Drv boot and it simply doesn't. I have not tried again since before 10.13 SU and 10.13.1 releases. I'm working today, but I'll try again tonight with 10.13.1 and post results here. Recall please that I have a different video card, as well as a different processor than yourself, @kgp. I have NO random reboots at this time. Best uptime so far is just shy of 120 hours, and I just interrupted that to play some windows games with my kids.

Give it a try with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi. It might well be that you have to intent to boot view times until it works once with this latter efi-file. You might receive a memory allocation error just a the very boot before ++++++++. In this case just reboot, until you finally pass the ++++++++

Hey guys, I am also having problems with this driver and found a few dependencies others might also have and like to share:

10.13. USB Installer + OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi = works
10.13. System disk (after install) + OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi = works

10.13.1 USB Installer + OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi = doesn't work (had to use OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi)
10.13.1 Systems disk (after install) + OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi = doesn't work (had to use OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi)

10.13. System disk with OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi --> Update 10.13.1 = doesn't work (had to uninstall the ssd from computer, manually change the OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi in EFI folder to OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi and only then could boot again)

Remember: +++++++++++ is your friend ;-)

Good luck to you all.

I cannot confirm that OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi does not work with 10.13.1...

But i can confirm that OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi also results sporadically in memory allocation errors at the very boot before +++++ in case of previous system changes or especially with Lilu.kext 1.2.1 and respective plugins...

I suggest the following test (I can't do it myself as my system is broken):

Try to remove Lilu.kext 1.2.1, AppleALC.kext 1.2.1 and NvidiaGraphicsfixup.kext 1.2.1 and replace the files with Lilu.kext 1.1.7, AppleALC.kext 1.1.4 and NvidiaGraphicsfixup.kext 1.1.3 and report back if you can again successfully booth with OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi under 10.13.1.

Thanks in advance,

KGP

I got issues with apfs when I forgot to update the apfs.efi in Clover. I was using a version from 10.13 beta, and after sometime using apfs it started giving me strange errors at boot. Sometimes failing to load the kernel or the kernel cache, sometimes simply crazy apfs errors during boot. Updating the Clover apfs.efi to the one in my system fixed these problems, without need to reinstall.

I find APFS quicker to check when doing a force reboot, and also more resilient to errors. But I agree that it is a bit strange to have this extra virtual disk always mounted and to have several partitions sharing the same space on disk. I am actually considering moving my data disk (I boot from a small NVME, and most of my data is in a SSD) to APFS too.

Can you please share where are you copying the apfs after installation from? In which folder to find it on the system disk?

I just have discovered I cannot clean install on HFS+ ... this is no longer supported with High Sierra :( The HFS+ file system will be changed to apfs during install...

Can you please share where are you copying the apfs after installation from? In which folder to find it on the system disk?

I just have discovered I cannot clean install on HFS+ ... this is no longer supported with High Sierra :( The HFS+ file system will be changed to apfs during install...

Please see Section C.9) of my guide! Everything described in all necessary detail!

KGP:

I'm not arguing (or at least I'm not trying to be argumentative), I'm trying to stimulate thoughtful discussion and understanding.

Sorry if you see my attempts to understand as a debate - it's not. In one of your other posts on another one of your threads, I highly praised you and your contributions to this community! And, I will continue to do so!

I am considering a X299 system and want to understand the issues. Also, I doubt X99 systems are completely free of errors. I will consider performing the test that's been under discussion here in this thread on my X99 system (given some time), and will report back.

It appears that there may be a small inconsistency/error in the way X299 systems approach memory allocation. This could easily be an issue in High Sierra itself (after all, it's quite new). It could be mainly, if not exclusively related to USB issues. It could be just pushing the system to the very edge of its capabilities, and that causes a failure. It could be a lot of things.

I just want to try and understand these issues before I buy.

We just have to be careful not to mix things....

1.) Never use a mem-stress-test programmes in line with memory consuming system tasks or applications, especially when dedicating the entire System RAM memory to the mem-stress-test programme!

2.) The second task to be clarified might be if there are really USB2.0/USB3.0 related issues on X299 Systems and if such supposed issues also extend to USB3.1!

3.) The third task is to see if such USB errors occur on all X299-systems or depend on system build and system configuration..

4.) I would nearly totally exclude memory allocation errors during regular X299 system operation! Such memory error allocations would result in random reboots of the system as in case of X99, which is definitely not the case for X299!

Any helpful contributions to clarify these likely yet open tasks are very welcome. However, never but never try to answer these questions and tasks by combining mem-stress-test programmes with memory consuming system tasks or applications , especially when dedicating the entire System RAM memory to the mem-stress-test programme. This is definitely the wrong approach, with RAM memory allocation errors induced by the proper mem-stress-test programme in consequence!

Like KGP said, check section C9. If you are not afraid of the terminal:

Code:
# copy the apfs.efi from the installer USB to the Desktop:
$ open /Volumes/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/BaseSystem.dmg
$ cp /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/usr/standalone/i386/apfs.efi ~/Desktop/
# copy the apfs.efi from the Desktop to the Clover driver folder in the ESP.
# First mount the ESP:
$ diskutil list
# find the ESP for the USB installer disk, say disk2s1:
$ diskutil mount disk2s1
Volume EFI on disk2s1 mounted
# Now copy:
$ cp ~/Desktop/apfs.efi /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI

Unmount "OS X Base System" and "EFI".

In a running system, apfs.efi is in /usr/standalone/i386/.

Hooooly $iii.... dolar :p
1 day without looking on our forum and 25 new posts... (in this thread of course) wt...
Before I was waiting almost whole day without any answer and now.. :eek: :p
they are crazy :D :p

Hello from Newb corner! :)

I just wanted to give a big thank you to kgp for the installation guide! I can safely say I would NEVER have managed to get it up and running without it...

I made the unwise decision to get the Asus X299-A motherboard, thinking that it would be "close enough" to his configuration and save a couple of hundred dollars... <blush> The guide has mostly worked for this motherboard, but I still have some things to iron out (audio... bluetooth...).

I did also notice that it won't boot when I use the Lilu.kext v1.2.1 -- once I went back to 1.1.7 it started booting happily again.

Thanks to everyone for all your time and great information!

- Nathan

Thanks a lot @kgp and @paulotex and @mgregrs, I have checked C9 and worked it accordingly.

kgp, I have also checked your advice and have tried the old kext versions with the OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi, but I would not get to the +++++++++++++ section, so the kext's would not make that big difference anyways, I guess.

Anyways - now back to a working system. I tried Nvidia with their latest web driver version, but the system got unstable after 2 boots (boot freeze again), so there is something really wrong with the web drivers. I am back to Vega FE only in my system and everything works flawlessly. I will continue to report how stable the system is over the next couple of days and weeks, but it looks good so far.

Now I am on the dark side ^^ (AMD Vega). Nvidia Titan xP will be sold soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back