Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a RAM list for 6 core and above processor and an additional RAM list for the pointless 4 core processors on the Prime -X299-Deluxe/Helpdesk_QVL link.

This is the link for the 6 core and above:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb...6.1606601132.1509594795-1322414504.1464609757
Well, I'm currently using the G Skill TridentZ RGB 64GB DDR4 F4-3600C17Q-64GTZR CL17-19-19-39 1.35V (which is NOT on the list). The only RAM that is the same is the G Skill TridentZ RGB 128GB DDR4 F4-3600C17Q-128GTZR CL17-19-19-39 1.35V. Of course it's 64GB of more RAM. Hope that doesn't affect anything. I'll have to see what happens when I install it this coming Friday or Saturday. Let's hope it continues to work without giving me any issues. Also, I'm not going to OC it on a permanent basis (as I'm only going to enable Multicore just to test get some GB scores and then disable) so hopefully at stock speeds it'll hold up (as the timings will be slightly different) with no issues. Plus, I've had other builds where the RAM that wasn't on the "suggested" or "tested" list still worked on other company's boards. Can't return or exchange this RAM anyway as I've had it for over month now. Again, we'll see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm currently using the G Skill TridentZ RGB 64GB DDR4 F4-3600C17Q-64GTZR CL17-19-19-39 1.35V (which is NOT on the list). The only RAM that is the same is the G Skill TridentZ RGB 128GB DDR4 F4-3600C17Q-128GTZR CL17-19-19-39 1.35V. Of course it's 64GB of more RAM. Hope that doesn't affect anything. I'll have to see what happens when I install it this coming Friday or Saturday. Let's hope it continues to work without giving me any issues. Also, I'm not going to OC it on a permanent basis (as I'm only going to enable Multicore just to test get some GB scores and then disable) so hopefully at stock speeds it'll hold up (as the timings will be slightly different) with no issues. Plus, I've had other builds where the RAM that wasn't on the "suggested" or "tested" list still worked on other company's boards. Can't return or exchange this RAM anyway as I've had it for over month now. Again, we'll see what happens.

Well, if everything works fine you have not to worry. However, if you still face random reboots you know where to search for.. ;)

Up and successfully running Skylake-X/X299 with macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 !

View attachment 289415

Important Notification for @ALL:

New EFI-Folder attached at the end of the originating post/guide and here below:

EFI-X299-10.13.1-Release-011117.zip

EFI-Folder related modifications:
  • New apfs.efi in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/
  • Boot-flag "ncpi=0x2000" again added to config.plist under "Arguments" in Section "Boot" of the Clover Configurator. Otherwise the MacOS 10.13.1 installation would fail during the third boot...
Guide related modifications:
  • Don't forget to uninstall the Web Driver before upgrading to 10.13.1!
  • Directly apply Black Screen Prevention Method B! Note that Black Screen Prevention Method A (AGDPFix.app) apparently fails under 10.13.1!
  • Minor revision of the entire Guide
Good luck and enjoy! :thumbup:

View attachment 289420
"New apfs.efi in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other" I think you meant "/EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI".

Hello, can you share your EFI?

So.... like always .. I finished a new (clean) 10.13.1 install :D
BTW: My name should be GregCleanInstall with so many clean tests etc :p

1-) FakeCPUID still needed,
AMD Vega cards still have the same bug with Chrome, build in graphic editor, electron apps etc :p
(we have to wait December)

2-) and my iMessage stil doesn't work :banghead:
If someone with Skylake X (without KGP which have magic powers)
tell me: - Yes, My iMessage work, in my opinion it will be not true or he is a very big lucky :p
because last few days I created 2 HackMacs for my best friends and everything works fine with 18,3 -7700K etc
but after 30 reinstallation's, 10 guides, and weeks of tests, MY own "old" or new iMessage account never work.. (17,1 X299 build) so... hmm .. maybe something will change in December or I will meet some magic MacCopperfield :p
PS: Every comments like, "you missed something" without details were/and still are not helpful :]
BTW: I tried some other MacPro 6,1, 14,2 18,3 etc SMBIOS versions, add or change last 5 letters or MB numbers,
every time SN checked on 2 websites, always new generated smUUID, and rtvariables options checked...
so .... if you know some abracadabra trick :D let me know :p
PS2: even when I called Apple in Canada, 2 weeks ago, and they registered my new "perfect Mac" :p...
the problem still existed :banghead:

3-) Graphic Problem :beachball:
I've stared one LuxMark test --> GPU fans 100% in 1 sec. -> BLACK screen --> PC restart:crazy:
and 2hour of test to reboot system... because I couldn't boot my PC with any image
or it was BIG (even Clover) graphic BUG... - even with my backup SSD with old OS X version ETC.

Now I know: it was some of BIOS changes ...
some of NEW bios implementations (changes for sleep/wake)!

It's too late and I couldn't try more, but first few test was
- with and without ASUS Multi ...enhancement
and especially WITHOUT
new Platform Misc Config ..changes
- PCI Express Native Power Management etc etc...
I'm not sure but maybe it was that...

Later.. I will try to find which of "today-Installation" BIOS changes causes that horrible bug...

4-) Other things like:
- Both LAN - works perfect (IntelMausi + SmallTree...kext)
- Integrated Audio - OK (AppleALC 1.2.0) ** old or new version always works perfect for me :)
- Ext. Audio USB - Scarlett 2i4 (works great oob) - OK
- VGA - Vega 64 (with old bios settings) - OK
I use lilu 1.2.0 and whatevergreen 1.1.2

Have a nice day! :)

Is the gui lag still there? Or is that better now?

So.... like always .. I finished a new (clean) 10.13.1 install :D
BTW: My name should be GregCleanInstall with so many clean tests etc :p

1-) FakeCPUID still needed,
AMD Vega cards still have the same bug with Chrome, build in graphic editor, electron apps etc :p
(we have to wait December)

2-) and my iMessage stil doesn't work :banghead:
If someone with Skylake X (without KGP which have magic powers)
tell me: - Yes, My iMessage work, in my opinion it will be not true or he is a very big lucky :p
because last few days I created 2 HackMacs for my best friends and everything works fine with 18,3 -7700K etc
but after 30 reinstallation's, 10 guides, and weeks of tests, MY own "old" or new iMessage account never work.. (17,1 X299 build) so... hmm .. maybe something will change in December or I will meet some magic MacCopperfield :p
PS: Every comments like, "you missed something" without details were/and still are not helpful :]
BTW: I tried some other MacPro 6,1, 14,2 18,3 etc SMBIOS versions, add or change last 5 letters or MB numbers,
every time SN checked on 2 websites, always new generated smUUID, and rtvariables options checked...
so .... if you know some abracadabra trick :D let me know :p
PS2: even when I called Apple in Canada, 2 weeks ago, and they registered my new "perfect Mac" :p...
the problem still existed :banghead:

3-) Graphic Problem :beachball:
I've stared one LuxMark test --> GPU fans 100% in 1 sec. -> BLACK screen --> PC restart:crazy:
and 2hour of test to reboot system... because I couldn't boot my PC with any image
or it was BIG (even Clover) graphic BUG... - even with my backup SSD with old OS X version ETC.

Now I know: it was some of BIOS changes ...
some of NEW bios implementations (changes for sleep/wake)!

It's too late and I couldn't try more, but first few test was
- with and without ASUS Multi ...enhancement
and especially WITHOUT
new Platform Misc Config ..changes
- PCI Express Native Power Management etc etc...
I'm not sure but maybe it was that...

Later.. I will try to find which of "today-Installation" BIOS changes causes that horrible bug...

4-) Other things like:
- Both LAN - works perfect (IntelMausi + SmallTree...kext)
- Integrated Audio - OK (AppleALC 1.2.0) ** old or new version always works perfect for me :)
- Ext. Audio USB - Scarlett 2i4 (works great oob) - OK
- VGA - Vega 64 (with old bios settings) - OK
I use lilu 1.2.0 and whatevergreen 1.1.2

Have a nice day! :)

Concerning your infinite iMessage issues, I ask you once more and certainly the last time the following simple question :lol:

Do you have EmuVariableUefi-64.efi in the /EF/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ directory of your System Disk? Please answer at least once on this very simple question :!:

Did you perform and successfully pass the iMessageDebug test after configuring your SMBIOS Credentials :?:

Correction of my former statements concerning ASUS "MultiCore Enhancement" and ASUS "Sync All Cores" BIOS Functionality, certainly important for @ALL!

Please note that in contradiction to my previous statements, the Geekbench performance boost is not related to the "ASUS Multi Core Enhancement" but rather to the ASUS only "Sync All Cores" BIOS Functionality. These are still excellent news for all ASUS boarders but very bad news for all users of mainboard brands different from ASUS, which lack the latter ASUS only BIOS functionality in their mainboard BIOS. The performance boost by the "ASUS Multi Core Functionality" appears in contrary to former statements however just marginal.

Unfortunately I still did not clarify yet if both "Multi Core Enhancement" (auto) and "Sync All Cores" (enabled) BIOS implementations cause the random reboots with the i9-7980 XE, which are unfortunately also persistent under 10.13.1. But it rather looks like that unfortunately the random reboots are rather solely caused by "Sync All Cores" when "enabled" instead of set to "auto". Which further means, that for now we have to live with significantly reduced i9-7980XE CPU performance, until the problem is hopefully fixed by ASUS. I am also in contact with the ASUS support hotline concerning this issue and I am currently awaiting detailed response.

Section B.1) of my guide in the originating post has been modified accordingly.

New 10.13.1 i9-7980XE "Sync All Cores" Geekbench results have been added in Section F.1) and are once more summarised below.

Geekbench.png

An here is the additional "ASUS Multi Core Enhancement" i9-7980XE Geekbench result with a marginal difference of just 300 scores.

Geekbench-MultiCoreEnhancement.png

Good luck and enjoy :thumbup:

kgp.png

Last edited:
Important news for @ALL Nvidia users!

Apparently, Nvidia removed the flag for SIP Security in the new Nvidia 10.13.1 Web Driver Package. Therefore, the new Web Driver apparently can be also installed with SIP disabled (CsrActiveConfig = 0x67). Note once more that Black Screen Prevention Method A. (AGDPFix.app) apparently does not work anymore under 10.13.1 and might leave your system unbeatable. Thus directly apply Black Screen Prevention Method B.), which works just fine also with SMBIOS iMac17,1.

I will await your user estimated user feedback and subsequently modify my guide accordingly.

Good luck and enjoy :thumbup:

kgp.png

Is the gui lag still there? Or is that better now?
Yesterday I didn't saw nothing, today... not yet :p

Concerning your infinite iMessage issues, I ask you once more and certainly the last time the following simple question :lol:

Do you have EmuVariableUefi-64.efi in the /EF/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ directory of your System Disk? Please answer at least once on this very simple question :!:

Did you perform and successfully pass the iMessageDebug test after configuring your SMBIOS Credentials :?:
Dear @kgp EmuVariableUefi-64.efi - Yes - it was the most important and basic thing :)
I was always very careful in with this part of your guide, and I think I you asked me that 600 pages ago :p

Did you perform and successfully pass the iMessageDebug test after configuring your SMBIOS Credentials
Not today... it was too late, but Yes, last 20 reinstallation I tried iMessageDebug which was OK every time
but at the end it was always the same (CallSupport number....) :/
// I will try in few minutes :)

I'm not sure, but maybe this is problem of my new accounts (1 week on iPad or few days on iPhone which I sold with iPad)
I lost my old great account so now I use the new one...
Maybe we have to use some account more than few months for iMessage activation?
It was weird because when I configured 2 other PCiMacs for my friends, few days ago, that was really easy
and without any problems (but with their old Apple accounts)

Thank you for helping anyway...
next month I will sold my S7Edge and buy new iPhone so maybe with new account it will be better :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back