Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, because we have the X299 crowd here, and apparently a lot of video editors - how's your experience with RAID cards? Is there anything out there that works on higher-than-X1 speeds and doesn't break the bank?

I'm still struggling to get Thunderbolt to work, so finding a solution that lets me connect 4-6 drives and use them at reasonable speed at Raid 0/10/JBOD would be really awesome. Even better if the controller can somehow be installed in the drive bay - not to obstruct cooling for the GPUs. Any recommendations?

Are you aware that there is a "Synology" RAID Clone forum and an entire group dedicated to creating an "open systems" version of the synology (RAID) software? Essentially, you can "build" your own Synology clone RAID.........https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/9392-general-faq/. Depending on the drives you use for your RAID, your throughput can approach a real Synology RAID (which is one of the very best)......

Regarding Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 56 8GB NITRO+
None of my 2 display ports is working under MacOs (2 HDMI ports are working fine). Any hints?

Regarding Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 56 8GB NITRO+
None of my 2 display ports is working under MacOs (2 HDMI ports are working fine). Any hints?

Are you using a properly adopted version of my SSDT-X299-iMacPro-Vega.aml?

BTW - you still did not update your profile or signature to provide your Skylake-X/X299 system specs! o_O

No further support without adding/providing this information!

Cheers,

KGP

Hey guys, because we have the X299 crowd here, and apparently a lot of video editors - how's your experience with RAID cards? Is there anything out there that works on higher-than-X1 speeds and doesn't break the bank?

I'm still struggling to get Thunderbolt to work, so finding a solution that lets me connect 4-6 drives and use them at reasonable speed at Raid 0/10/JBOD would be really awesome. Even better if the controller can somehow be installed in the drive bay - not to obstruct cooling for the GPUs. Any recommendations?

Hi @4min, I'm using an Asus Hyper M.2 16x card that allows you to work with up to 4 M.2 disks, the Raid you do from the Apple disks utility, you have a performance test in post # 5879 this can reduce your potential in PCI lanes, but it is the best option that exists in terms of speed.

I'm also trying to create an SLI of 2x 1080ti and the Thunderbolt card in slot 6, I would appreciate it if you publish your EFI folder because there are details that I do not understand and I suppose you have been able to do. Thank you very much in advance and if you need something, you just have to ask for it, regards.

Hi @kgp,

just a short question:
You also have the problem that after wake from sleep, you get the message that your USB drives were not ejected properly?

Thanks, mate

Hi @kgp,

just a short question:
You also have the problem that after wake from sleep, you get the message that your USB drives were not ejected properly?

Thanks, mate

Yes.. but if I correctly remember, @izo1 knows the solution..

@izo1, can you remind us how to solve the issue?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks in advance!

@izo1 , my brown twin mate, suggested to exclude the USB drives in SPOtlights privacy tab in system preferences in order to prevent indexing or so. Unfortunately this didnt work for me. Does it work for you?

In other forums I found some people saying that
disabling BIOS Setting ´Internal CPU PLL Overvoltage'
solved the issue for them.

They didnt refer to our ASUS mobo,
hence I have no idea what could be the equivalent in our BIOS, unfortunately.

@izo1 Re: BT and the broadcom chipset. Turned out it's just as bad under Windows for some reasons now... Even pairing/connecting my headset require that I place it very closely. Everything else works perfectly otherwise...

For now I've ordered a Logilink BT0015 Adaptater
Class 1 with a CSR8510 chipset (https://www.qualcomm.com/products/csr8510) appears to be natively supported under OS X and comes with a AptX BT stack on Windows...
Did you make any progress with your box otherwise?

Thanks in advance!

What worked for me, and the only solution I found was to add ALL external USB drives to Spotlight Privacy tab so it doesn't get indexed. I stopped having this issue after I did that.

You can't search the external USB drives anymore with Spotlight, but you can use something like EasyFind to search it and it works well.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to fix this issue, but I have tried various USB inject methods and none of them fixed it so I went back to the one I was using previously (a custom USB kext).

Also personally I haven't tested an external USB SSD, only external Hard Drives. I get a lot of them here, sometimes G-Raid, Lacie, Western Digital, etc etc. All HDDs had the same issues for me, but the Spotlight workaround fixed it for me.

Losing Spotlight on external drives is not a big deal for me, I have external HDDs connected all the time and leave them in there for weeks to sometimes months, and I would get that error after a while.

This never happened to me on a real Mac.

@izo1 , my brown twin mate, suggested to exclude the USB drives in SPOtlights privacy tab in system preferences in order to prevent indexing or so. Unfortunately this didnt work for me. Does it work for you?

In other forums I found some people saying that
disabling BIOS Setting ´Internal CPU PLL Overvoltage'
solved the issue for them.

They didnt refer to our ASUS mobo,
hence I have no idea what could be the equivalent in our BIOS, unfortunately.

It's odd it didn't work for you. Are you sure you added ALL external USB drives? Including Flash drives? (I haven't tested or noticed this issue on Flash drives, can't confirm).

The Spotlight workaround works perfect for me even after restarts. My machine's been on for weeks and drives connected for weeks. I come back and click on the drive and it "wakes up" fine and no eject issues. If I want to keep the drive running forever with no sleep (ie you come back even after a day, it will be instantly available) I use Keep Drive Spinning and it works wonderfully. Its a simple script and I sometimes use it.

It's definitely related to something with the USB injection, but I haven't figured it out yet (or I just gave up haha). My Gigabyte BIOS isn't as deep as an Asus board, so I don't see an "Internal CPU PLL Overvoltage" anywhere in the Designare EX.

@izo1 Re: BT and the broadcom chipset. Turned out it's just as bad under Windows for some reasons now... Even pairing/connecting my headset require that I place it very closely. Everything else works perfectly otherwise...

For now I've ordered a Logilink BT0015 Adaptater
Class 1 with a CSR8510 chipset (https://www.qualcomm.com/products/csr8510) appears to be natively supported under OS X and comes with a AptX BT stack on Windows...
Did you make any progress with your box otherwise?

Thank you for keeping track of this, I know we both had trouble. I think I have given up and learned to live with it. I put the 2 antennas outside of the case and as far as possible from the rear of the computer which has a lot of USB 3.0 drives connected so there's less interference. (I'll post a pic soon).

For now, I have removed the kexts for the Broadcom chip that's on the Designare EX and I am using an older OSXWifi card from a couple of years ago. I had recently ordered the OSXWifi BT 4.1 module but returned it (Not sure if you remember this)...it didn't really help a lot maybe by 10%.

I also am sticking with OSXWifi for now because I'll probably get the space gray Apple wireless keyboard so I need to have it available during BIOS too (which the onboard modded module wouldn't allow).

Surprisingly those small USB adapters work well, but the range is pretty average, so that's why I stopped using it. I have one hanging around but I remember I didn't have audio stutters with those, just the range was bad.

Maybe use a USB cable extension and tuck the USB adapter underneath your monitor? Or somewhere closer to your headphone so you have less interference since they don't have larger antennas.

As far as Windows, with the limited amount of time I use it nowadays (last time I booted into it was more than a month ago) the OSXWifi card seems to work OK as long as you extract the drivers from a Bootcamp installer....and then it works ok. I don't remember if I had similar stuttering issues with those.

This is all related to interference/bad shielding coupled with USB injector in macOS I think. If you remember, I posted a whitepaper about USB interference. Real Macs and even real PCs have good shielding on the BT/Wifi modules all around, so maybe that will be the best solution possible.

Hi @4min, I'm using an Asus Hyper M.2 16x card that allows you to work with up to 4 M.2 disks, the Raid you do from the Apple disks utility, you have a performance test in post # 5879 this can reduce your potential in PCI lanes, but it is the best option that exists in terms of speed.

I'm also trying to create an SLI of 2x 1080ti and the Thunderbolt card in slot 6, I would appreciate it if you publish your EFI folder because there are details that I do not understand and I suppose you have been able to do. Thank you very much in advance and if you need something, you just have to ask for it, regards.
It's awesome to know that the ASUS card works, something to look into. I hope that Apple implements Intel's RST and/or vROC when creating the new Mac Pro, so that we could get these speeds at drives that are accessible from multiple OS'es. I constantly switch between Windows and Mac, and having my main storage locked up in OS-specific implementation is not acceptable.

I just shared my current setup, BUT note that the Thunderbolt port still doesn't work, and I'm stuck until somebody will be willing to help. I'm likely not going to be implementing SLI - just dual graphics cards, and most likely different ones until I can afford 2x 1180 Ti. Right now I haven't implemented the GPUs at all - I already bricked my system once with NVidea, so I'll wait until Nvidia releases a driver update. ATI is working out of the box pretty well. What are you going to use SLI for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back