Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@kgp

Any reason to think that the X299-A motherboard wouldn't work with your X299 efi? Any known issues or problems with that board that you know of? I'm working on a new build and I have a really good deal on the X299-A, and I don't really need the dual ethernet (and some of the other stuff) that comes with the X299 Prime Deluxe.

Well you know that the X299-A also has a reduced amount of PCIe slots and USB ports?

E.g. it just has one PCIe x1 slot, which is usually covered by a Slot-1 GPU.

The OLED display in my opinion is another important and very useful add-on, while I clearly prefer the Alpine Ridge when compared with the TBEX 3 shipped with the board.

Else, I would not see any X299-A incompatibilities with my guide.. There are several users with the X299-A following this thread. Maybe they also can provide you some feedback? I would appreciate the latter..

Kind regards,

KGP

@kgp

Any reason to think that the X299-A motherboard wouldn't work with your X299 efi? Any known issues or problems with that board that you know of? I'm working on a new build and I have a really good deal on the X299-A, and I don't really need the dual ethernet (and some of the other stuff) that comes with the X299 Prime Deluxe.

I have no problems with X299-A with macOS High Sierra. This is a 4K video edit system and is working wonderfully.

View attachment View attachment View attachment View attachment View attachment

Reactions: kgp
Well you know that the X299-A also has a reduced amount of PCIe slots and USB ports?

E.g. it just has one PCIe x1 slot, which is usually covered by a Slot-1 GPU.

The OLED display in my opinion is another important and very useful add-on, while I clearly prefer the Alpine Ridge when compared with the TBEX 3 shipped with the board.

Else, I would not see any X299-A incompatibilities with my guide.. There are several users with the X299-A following this thread. Maybe they also can provide you some feedback? I would appreciate the latter..

Kind regards,

KGP

So, the number of USB ports or the number/type of PCIe slots are not an issue for me. After all, my X99-A has a similar configuration, and I have TB cards (too many, actually). My concern would be compatibility with some of the customizations in the EFI you've posted and the AML files. In particular the USB aml would have to be adjusted, but there might be others. So, I'm just doing some basic research....

I have no problems with X299-A with macOS High Sierra. This is a 4K video edit system and is working wonderfully.

View attachment 345440 View attachment 345441 View attachment 345442 View attachment 345443 View attachment 345444

As a fellow Video Editor, you wouldn't possibly consider posting your EFI (with AML files)? Maybe?

(And, of course, you could just blank out the SMBIOS section, or set it for some other mac besides an Imac Pro so that it's changed....)

Another adapter card (+ includes the WiFi module) is priced about the same as the linked item (which omits the required WiFi module), but also includes Bluetooth 4.2 instead of 4.0:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0713RRZMB/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
Then there's a similar type of WiFi + Bluetooth 5.0 adapter card, but uses an Intel WiFi module, which currently has no working drivers for macOS.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DMDZ888/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

An Amazon commenter also lists these additional:

Can i use this for a hackintosh build?
Answer:
For hackintosh Apple OS-X the following are known to work Vanilla out of the box.
No additional software or kexts to install.
1) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product//B00P0QAU36
2) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DMDZ888/?tag=tonymacx86com-20/B00TQEX7AQ
3) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DMDZ888/?tag=tonymacx86com-20/B007GMPZ0A
4) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DMDZ888/?tag=tonymacx86com-20/B00BXAXO7C
December 2, 2015

#4 is a USB 3.0 module that doesn't require a PCIe slot.

So, the number of USB ports or the number/type of PCIe slots are not an issue for me. After all, my X99-A has a similar configuration, and I have TB cards (too many, actually). My concern would be compatibility with some of the customizations in the EFI you've posted and the AML files. In particular the USB aml would have to be adjusted, but there might be others. So, I'm just doing some basic research....

True.. my XHC USB kext won't work with the X299-A. The same states for the system SSDT and TB_SSDT.. in both cases, a few modifications might be necessary.. The distributed starter EFI should be fully valid though...

As a fellow Video Editor, you wouldn't possibly consider posting your EFI (with AML files)? Maybe?

(And, of course, you could just blank out the SMBIOS section, or set it for some other mac besides an Imac Pro so that it's changed....)

Of course. Consider me just an enthusiast and not an expert like @kgp, who is making a wonderful job for us to make possible these rigs. So, maybe my files contains little errors or omissions, but like I said, the hackintosh is working without any issues. (Sorry for my English).

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 114
  • 0 bytes · Views: 31
Reactions: kgp
Of course. Consider me just an enthusiast and not an expert like @kgp, who is making a wonderful job for us to make possible these rigs. So, maybe my files contains little errors or omissions, but like I said, the hackintosh is working without any issues. (Sorry for my English).

Can you please upload an IOREG.save and a "PCI" screen shot? Just for curiosity and to see if everything is properly implemented.. ;)

Danka! Thanks! Gracias!

Can you please upload an IOREG.save and a "PCI" screen shot? Just for curiosity and to see if everything is properly implemented.. ;)

I would like to, but the rig is with his owner right now, sorry :). I build Hackintosh computers for video editors and such, and this machine was delivered yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back