Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@garbage914, just curious to know your experience with EKWB P280. What was your previous cooler?. What difference did this one made to you?. I am struggling with i9 7940X, Asrock taichi XE, Corsair H115i.
I can't run my system even @ base clock speed (3.1 ghz) because I am getting very high temperature above 105c. Now I limited the Temp @ 80c by offsetting TJ-Max offset in BIOS. Please report.
Mcity

I'm not sure where that male symbol (♂️) came from - it was supposed to be a face palm. Ha.

Previously I was using the Corsair H100i v2 (I had been using it with an i7 6950 CPU and it did fine with that) - but with the 7940x it wasn't enough, especially if I wanted to do any overclocking. The EK280 seems to be running well - it's a little hard to tell because it's been 95-100 degrees in LA and I don't have much air conditioning at my place. One of my radiator fans on the p280 isn't working but for now I've got one of my case fans replacing it. My CPU seems to be around 32 (it's night now so it's cooler - maybe 75 degrees), and under workload goes up into the 50s. I want to get the new fan to really tell where things are at and then I'll decide whether to get the EK Monoblock for the x299 - I heard the VRMs run hot on the x299 Asus prime deluxe motherboard so it night be a good idea. Also strongly considering delidding - EK warns that you can't use a monoblock with a delidded CPU but Silicon Lottery says they delid and then replace the IHS so that the CPU has specs identical to its original size. I'll keep you posted.

Before I changed my BIOS settings to 3 and 2 (AVX offsets) and "Sync all cores," OSX was freezing a lot. It seems to be very stable now.

It still sounds surprising that you'd get temps around 105 at base clock speed. Maybe something else is off? I'm kind of a newbie with all this stuff but it sounds very hot for not overclocking.

I hope that all helps.

Last edited:
Hi again,
I get build errors when I try to build Whatevergreen. This is the output (sorry for posting all the output first, here it is reduced):

$ xcodebuild

clang: error: no such file or directory: '/Users/jon/Downloads/WhateverGreen-master/Lilu.kext/Contents/Resources/Library/plugin_start.cpp'

clang: error: no input files

** BUILD FAILED **

The following build commands failed:

CompileC build/WhateverGreen.build/Release/WhateverGreen.build/Objects-normal/x86_64/plugin_start.o Lilu.kext/Contents/Resources/Library/plugin_start.cpp normal x86_64 c++ com.apple.compilers.llvm.clang.1_0.compiler

(1 failure)

Last edited:
super unnecessary long post removed

did you really have to post the whole thing? can't you at least read the message you're posting?

clang: error: no such file or directory: '/Users/jon/Downloads/WhateverGreen-master/Lilu.kext/Contents/Resources/Library/plugin_start.cpp'

Pretty self-explanatory....

You have to download the Debug Lilu.kext (from the release page) and install it in /Users/jon/Downloads/WhateverGreen-master/

In anycase, why do you even bother to compile it when there are already pre-compiled version in the project's release...

did you really have to post the whole thing? can't you at least read the message you're posting?

Pretty self-explanatory....

You have to download the Debug Lilu.kext (from the release page) and install it in /Users/jon/Downloads/WhateverGreen-master/

In anycase, why do you even bother to compile it when there are already pre-compiled version in the project's release...

Sorry. Maybe that can be mentioned in the guide that we shall use the already pre-compiled version (and the location of those kexts), to save time? I don't see any kext files in the files here https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen
Where are the pre-built kexts?

Shall those kexts be placed in the EFI directory being prepared? Where shall they be placed exactly?

Last edited:
Sorry. Maybe that can be mentioned in the guide that we shall use the already pre-compiled version (and the location of those kexts), to save time? I don't see any kext files in the files here https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen
Where are the pre-built kexts?

Shall those kexts be placed in the EFI directory being prepared? Where shall they be placed exactly?

The releases tab has precompiled versions https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/releases

Place kexts in efi/clover/kexts/other

Provided that you use the EFI-Folder contained in EFI-X299-10.14-PB3-Release-iMacPro1,1-280718.zip, you need to open the config.plist in the /EFI/CLOVER/ directory of your System Disk with the Clover Configurator and add the CAVS -> HDEF ACPI replacement patch in Clover Configurator Section "ACPI" under "DSDT Patches".

I am not seeing the CAVS -> HDEF ACPI replacement patch in Clover Config. under "ACPI/DSDT". Did I miss something?

Also, System seems to be randomly freezing up. Sorry if this is covered somewhere else in the thread. I didn't see it.

I am not seeing the CAVS -> HDEF ACPI replacement patch in Clover Config. under "ACPI/DSDT". Did I miss something?
Yes, those replacements are no longer done via clover patches, but directly in the SSDT SSDT-X299-iMacPro-{Vega|Nvidia}.aml

it's done like:
Code:
        Scope (CAVS)
        {
            Name (_STA, Zero)  // _STA: Status
        }

Device (HDEF)
        {

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back