Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to have figured out what is causing the reboots with TB EX 3 being enabled
No Platform Misc Configuration changes this time. Although I do have ERP set to S4 & S5

There are 4 changes in Advanced\Thunderbolt Configuration:
Thunderbolt Usb Support: Disabled
Thunderbolt Boot Support: Disabled
Wake From Thunderbolt Devices: Off
Security level: SL0- No Security

This should resolve the sleep reboots with TB being enabled, however the system does take between 2-4 minutes to sleep now
@kgp could you please test this?

You are asking me much! :lol::lol: I am risking once more to totally f.. u.. my system ;)

I already implemented the "Platform Misc Configuration" related BIOS changes in my guide...

Are you sure that we have to change them once more?

No way to get rig of the 4-5 min sleep delay before doing further tests at my side ? :lol:;)

Edit: more testing is required, don'y chance anything just yet

Last edited:
Edit: more testing is required, don'y chance anything just yet

thought so :lol: just witnessed a reboot during sleep with TB EX 3 enabled...

I used this BIOS settings

Advanced\Platform Misc Configuration
-PCI Express Native Power Management: Enabled
-Native ASPM: Enabled
-PCH DMI ASPM: Enabled
-ASPM: L1
-DMI Link ASPM Control: L1
-PEG - ASMP: ASPM L1

-Thunderbolt Usb Support: Disabled
-Thunderbolt Boot Support: Disabled
-Wake From Thunderbolt Devices: Off

Id did not change to Security level: SL0- No Security as following my experience TB devices connected to the TB EX 3 will stop working in this case...

My rig now already comes up with "cB" after boot instead of "AA"

Update: one Question - in the SSDT-X299.aml I have available, thunderbolt is not part of yet? Don't I need the latest SSDT-X299.aml including the TB integration to perform any tests?

Do you also have NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext v1.0.0 in your EFI-Folder apart from NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext v1.2.0 and + Lilu.kext v1.2.0 when applying Method b.)?

You know that when performing Method a.) not even NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext v1.2.0 should be in your EFI-Folder?
Hi KGP, before each attempt I started from a completely clean install (carbon copy cloner clone and I made sure the EFI didn't have the unnecessary / wrong kexts). I'll try again today in case I made a mistake yesterday. If you can get it to work along with other users I should too!

Reactions: kgp
Hi KGP, before each attempt I started from a completely clean install (carbon copy cloner clone and I made sure the EFI didn't have the unnecessary / wrong kexts). I'll try again today in case I made a mistake yesterday. If you can get it to work along with other users I should too!

exactly! :thumbup:

thought so :lol: just witnessed a reboot during sleep with TB EX 3 enabled...

I used this BIOS settings

Advanced\Platform Misc Configuration
-PCI Express Native Power Management: Enabled
-Native ASPM: Enabled
-PCH DMI ASPM: Enabled
-ASPM: L1
-DMI Link ASPM Control: L1
-PEG - ASMP: ASPM L1

-Thunderbolt Usb Support: Disabled
-Thunderbolt Boot Support: Disabled
-Wake From Thunderbolt Devices: Off

Id did not change to Security level: SL0- No Security as following my experience TB devices connected to the TB EX 3 will stop working in this case...

My rig now already comes up with "cB" after boot instead of "AA"

Update: one Question - in the SSDT-X299.aml I have available, thunderbolt is not part of yet? Don't I need the latest SSDT-X299.aml including the TB integration to perform any tests?
I am still doing extensive testing so will report once I have once I have the issue resolved :)
No TB is not yet implemented in the SSDT as I am still have plenty of testing left to do, the SSDT for TB would be nothing more than cosmetic for the time being
However, I would like to get my hands on an IOReg dump of a iMac 17,1 or 18,3 and MacPro 6,1 to examine

Good news! The system now successfully booted into OSX with working drivers.
I followed your step A for error prevention (AGDPFix). Initially it didn't work and I cursed loudly into the room.

What did I do different this time?
In Clover Configurator I did the following change to get it working:
Under Boot I checked nvda_drv=1
Under System Parameters I checked NvidiaWeb

Maybe, only one of these checks are required for me. I want to figure out which of them makes the difference and why.
Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 13.43.04.png

Good news! The system now successfully booted into OSX with working drivers.
I followed your step A for error prevention (AGDPFix). Initially it didn't work and I cursed loudly into the room.

What did I do different this time?
In Clover Configurator I did the following change to get it working:
Under Boot I checked nvda_drv=1
Under System Parameters I checked NvidiaWeb

Maybe, only one of these checks are required for me. I want to figure out which of them makes the difference and why.View attachment 287450

You see it works :thumbup: Seems that you had to manually inject the web driver in addition.

The important step was to check NvidiaWeb !

nvda_drv=1 has no effect in the last clover version and is obsolete...

Got a question,

When I connect my external portable drive (USB 3.0) to any of USB ports, its showing as the internal drive instead of external drive on the Finder,

Internal HD.png

However, I could still eject the HD,

Fun thing is when I connect the HD to the USB 3.1 Type A on the Thunderbolt card, its showing as the external drive and gives me the eject option

Internal HD TB.png

Does anyone has the same issue? Or know how to fix it?
Thanks in advance,

Got a question,

When I connect my external portable drive (USB 3.0) to any of USB ports, its showing as the internal drive instead of external drive on the Finder,

View attachment 287525

However, I could still eject the HD,

Fun thing is when I connect the HD to the USB 3.1 Type A on the Thunderbolt card, its showing as the external drive and gives me the eject option

View attachment 287526

Does anyone has the same issue? Or know how to fix it?
Thanks in advance,

The USB 3.1 ports are native now, so it is probably able to detect what is being put in properly. I would imagine there is a KEXT to fix the USB 2.0/3.0 issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back