Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
In clover boot screen you gotta go to option then in boot argument write UseKernelCache=0 then try to boot again

I can't type anything on the boot args. How do you do that? I double click on it and the thing just hang.

I can double click on configs, gui tuning, etc but just not the boot args.

I can't type anything on the boot args. How do you do that? I double click on it and the thing just hang.
I can double click on configs, gui tuning, etc but just not the boot args.
Use the keyboard's up/down arrows to navigate; the "enter" key to select/de-select.

Tried that. Didn't work. Not sure what is wrong with my version. Will download kgp clover and start over again.

Thank you very much for the help

In clover boot screen you gotta go to option then in boot argument write UseKernelCache=0 then try to boot again

The UseKernelCache=0 didn't work. I tried using KGP clover and also tried using Unibeast clover method with the boot args. Both stuck at the boot with same error:

Error allocating 0x1229a pages at 0x000000000c8e8000 alloc type 2
Couldn't allocate runtime area

What could be the problem?

Edit: KGP clover has error 0x0000000009c7c000 alloc type 2

No idea what the numbers mean. I made 2 usb drives, one with KGP and the other unibeast.

Last edited:

I would therefore strongly advise to go the route of serious liquid cooling (EKWB) if you want to overclock as much as possible.
I would also suggest to stay away from basic AIO solutions as these do not result in (significant) better results than using a Noctua NH-D15.

That’s not really true. AIO is significantly better than air cooling, even good ones like the Noctua you mentioned.

Just don’t get a single 120mm AIO for a hot cpu like Skylake-X and you will see major temp drops with an AIO. A minimum of dual 240mm is recommended.

The UseKernelCache=0 didn't work. I tried using KGP clover and also tried using Unibeast clover method with the boot args. Both stuck at the boot with same error:

No idea what the numbers mean. I made 2 usb drives, one with KGP and the other unibeast.

Try to enable "above 4G Decoding" in BIOS or try to use OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi instead of AptioMemoryFix.efi.

Good luck,

KGP

Clearing Bios by a jumper and re-setting the same options as before helped me in a similar situation.

I like AIO’s. Custom water cooling takes too much work imo although you can make it look nicer compared to an AIO with tubes dangling around.

I use a BeQuiet! 240mm AIO ans has to get it shipped to USA from Germany since apparently they got sued for copyright infringement and can’t sell this in the states. Anyway I love it. The 7900x has a very very light OC and it never hits above 71-73c on full load. Case is a Meshify C and the rad is mounted in the front as intake so a lot of cool air is coming in.

The Noctua NH-D15 will keep your delidded CPU at reasonable temps in stock clock settings (no sync all cores or overclock).
I am using an Noctua NH-C14S because of case size limitations for the cooler. This cooler keeps my delidded i7-7820X at temps up to 75°C in stock form when tasking it with prime95.
When applying even slight overclock or sync all cores the temps go up to 95°C and more. Although in spec i am not comfortable with these thermals inside my small case (NCASE M1). ;-)

I would therefore strongly advise to go the route of serious liquid cooling (EKWB) if you want to overclock as much as possible.
I would also suggest to stay away from basic AIO solutions as these do not result in (significant) better results than using a Noctua NH-D15.

Thank you @izo1 and @kubusikan. I think I will go with the EK to be able to overclock as much as possible. Will consider delidding and potentially doing Direct Die cooling as well.

I moved my computer across the room today and unplugged the cables. When I moved it back, it had trouble booting into OSX, but eventually did. Then after one restart, it won't go past the "Please press DEL or F2 to enter UEFI BIOS" screen - it just stays stuck on that. Before that, I got that BIOS screen that said it started in Safe Mode and that my graphics wasn't UEFI (but my GTX 1060 is UEFI). On the Asus LCD it says "Test NVRAM." I tried unplugging my graphics card, SSDs, and reseating my RAM, but still getting the same. Any suggestions? Is my only option to reflash KGP's X299D.CAP Bios?

Any suggestions? Is my only option to reflash KGP's X299D.CAP Bios?

Reset BIOS, if there is a jumper setting to do so, do it. Then add memory, graphics, SSD. Try to boot again.
Mcity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back