Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
finally, the new web driver runs smooth on maxwell cards. no ptaching anymore! but now have to user fixup and lilu

I'm currently deciding if I should go Z370 or X299 (see my thread here).

The X299 guide in the 1st post is excellent and it makes me think, given I consider myself technically competent, that with the guide to work from that X299 would actually be a better option.

I'd like bang up to date answers for:

Once its setup: Does everything work like it would do if it was an actual iMac Pro?

My next question would be: What about software updates?

X299 gives an upgrade path from the 7800X/7820X to the 79XX series, which Z370 does not...

Thanks!

I suggest a x299 build.

However some big things are happening in the cpu world. Who knows maybe intel is going to release that water chilled 28core Xeon in a x299 factor.

Amd is releasing 32 core CPUs soon which is ridiculously crazy. Intel has to answer somehow.

If you go the Z line I’d say wait because 8 core is imminent and Intel may be releasing new chipsets for that so Z370 might not work.

Best thing is to wait or jump on x299.

And also yes this has been the best Hackintosh I’ve ever built and updates work perfectly. I’ve built maybe 5-8 Hackintoshes over the years.

I just have some minor issues here and there but tweaking those as weeks go by.

Hey guys, finally ready to install MacOs on my system.

Running into an issue when selecting to boot from the USB, it brings me back to the bios screen instantly. I've performed the bios patch, checked my bios settings twice, and have also followed the instructions of creating the usb properly. Any insight?

Last edited:
Hey guys, finally ready to install MacOs on my system.

Running into an issue when selecting to boot from the USB, it brings me back to the bios screen instantly. I've performed the bios patch, checked my bios settings twice, and have also followed the instructions of creating the usb properly. Any insight?

boot.efi?

Hi @xerox24 I use a X299 Mark 2 and I haven't got the PCI implementation right. Could you share yours or teach me how to do it right?

Has anyone had this problem with USB 3.0 external drives?
I think I Mentioned this a while ago but didn't find a proper solution.

Basically if I leave a USB3.0 drive connected for a day (it doesn't go to sleep and sleep is disabled on drives and overall system) the drive will show the contents but I can't write anything to it (but can read).
Trying to eject is a pain because it asks for every app to close and sometimes requires a restart.

I have one USB drive connected to the mac, used for time machine. Every once in a while, I get the message that it wasn't safely ejected.
But I was getting the same with my mac pro 2013 so it has never worried me, plus the backup continues anyway

Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 7.51.31 AM.png
boot.efi?
the USB is listed as UEFI: Sandisk Partition 1 when trying to boot

Yup everything is there.View attachment 335037

Last edited:
CSM: disabled
Fast boot: off
4g decode: disabled
OS type: other os

No idea what is the reason for your issue then...

Can you try to use

Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB  --nointeraction

instead of

Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app --nointeraction

?

Remember that USB in the command above is a place holder for the real name of your USB Drive. Preferentially you can name the latter also "USB".

Does this fix your problem?

You do have my EFI-Folder in the EFI-Partition of your USB Flash Driver Installer, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back