Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a really good kext from insanelymac from user wyhtc for Vega FE to take care of the fast fan speed on idle (unless you open and run an H264 video in Quicktime.)

Personally the idle fan speed doesn't bug me since the case is closed, but it would be nice to have the fan turn off if it goes idle (just like it does under Windows).

This kext helps with this problem with the Vega FE (and most likely other Vega cards) however when you run something like Valley Benchmark or any other GPU intensive application (like the Hitman game from 2017), the fans kick up to 4,000 RPM+ and it sounds like a jet engine. On idle it runs at 700~ RPM which is fair and better than without the kext for idle speeds.

For now I have removed the kext.

If anyone is able to edit this, that would be awesome. Or has another solution.

Terminal command to check your fan speeds & gpu temp:
Code:
ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan'

Attachments

• RadeonVegaLowFansSpeed.kext.zip
    3.5 KB · Views: 74
with your awesome manual I got it running. 10.13.4 (17E202) on intel i7 7820x with Nvidia 1050ti.
However I have problems with the Nvidia web drivers. installed WebDriver-387.10.10.10.30.107 but when web driver use is activated in clover the system won't boot and hangs before normally the apple logo appears. disabling web driver lets me boot normally (however the accerleration is missing).

as I understood no patching is necessary? I tried copying Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext in /libraries/extensions and in the kexts other efi folder but that doesn't help either.

Hi RuleBreaker01, Hi everyone !

I have the same issue as Xevin.
I tried the EFI RuleBreaker01 sent to him.
It didn't work.

I don't know what I'm missing.

RuleBreaker01, I have the same build as yours, except for the GPU which is a RX VEGA 64.
Can you send your EFI ?
Don't worry I will change the Serial, but I just don't understand what I'm missing.

Or if anyone else knows why the install get stuck at the beginning? Just right after this :

Thank you very much.

The EFI I attached for Xevin with adopt of VoodooTSCSync.kext for his 7980XE as 18 core
With your i9-7900X 10 core, try this ones,

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    17.4 MB · Views: 76
Hey yall!

First off, thank you so much KGP for putting the effort and time into making this guide! Your generosity and helpfulness is amazing and I never could have figured this out without your guide! You're awesome!

I'm very new to hackintosh machines, but fairly well versed in building PCs. Our studio is in the process of upgrading to machines that are nearly identical to the one present in this guide:

Mainboard: Asus Prime X299 Deluxe
CPU: i9-7980XE
RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 128GB (8 x 16GB) DDR4 3466 F4-3466C16Q2128GTZKK
GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3
HDD: EVO 960 NVMe M.2 1TB
PSU: SeaSonic Prime Titanium 1000W
Wireless: PC/HACKINTOSH - APPLE BROADCOM BCM94360CD - 802.11 A/B/G/N/AC + BLUETOOTH 4.0

NIC: ASUS XG-C100C AQC107 PCIe x4 10GBit Ethernet Adapter
Case: Define R6
HSF: EK Custom Water Cooling

I'm having some trouble though. I've done everything to the letter in this guide but I'm stumped on something and can't get past it. When booting into the Installer from USB drive, it hangs on this:

Code:
End InitBootStruct
Start LoadRAMDisk
End LoadRAMDisk
Start FinalizeBootStruct
Start RandomSeed
End RandomSeed
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++_

What I've done so far:
I've completely remade the USB Installer drive twice.
Tried various other USB ports on the machine.
Read over the guide multiple times.

I think I must be missing something and I have a hunch it's something in the Clover configuration or a missing kext, but being so new to this I don't have the faintest idea where to begin. Any pointers, ideas, or help would be most appreciated!

Also I'm a little foggy on how I am supposed to get the EFI partition onto the system drive. I was going to try to do it inside the macOS Installer once it booted into there. Maybe using terminal. But if I can't get into the installer, that's not going to work.

Thank you for your time and any help you guys can offer me!

@Xevin , @fickerr , @framandyard ,

what about using my EFI + adopted TSCResetAdjust.kext or VoodooTSCSync.kext?

If that does not work, you have to improve your BIOS settings.

Good luck!

P.S.: @fickerr, please provide your system specs (mobo, CPU, GPU) in either your profile or signature! Getting tired of permanently remembering you guys about the board rules and basic info required for participating in this tread.

Last edited:
@kgp, sorry... changed it.

here is what I did:
- install high sierra installer on macbook air
- copying your current efi on it EFI-X299-10.13.4-SU-Release-iMacPro1,1-120518.zip
- adding boot argument npci=0x2000 (this is important with my MSI x299, otherwise it gets stuck at "pci configuration")
- adding VoodooTSCSync.kex with
<key>IOCPUNumber</key>
<integer>15</integer>

- put in blank ssd in my hackintosh
- boot from SSD
- format SSD, install MacOS
- Copy EFI to SDD
- Update MacOS to 10.13.4 (17E202)
- Everything works so far, except for the graphcis accerleraction
- Installing Nvidia Webdriver 387.10.10.10.30.107 (directly from here https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/387/WebDriver-387.10.10.10.30.107.pkg)
- reboot, hackintosh gets stuck before the apple logo
- disabling the webdriver lets me start normally and everything works again.
- BIOS is the current one
- don't know about Graphic Card bios settings

@kgp, sorry... changed it.

here is what I did:
- install high sierra installer on macbook air
- copying your current efi on it EFI-X299-10.13.4-SU-Release-iMacPro1,1-120518.zip
- adding boot argument npci=0x2000 (this is important with my MSI x299, otherwise it gets stuck at "pci configuration")
- adding VoodooTSCSync.kex with
<key>IOCPUNumber</key>
<integer>15</integer>

- put in blank ssd in my hackintosh
- boot from SSD
- format SSD, install MacOS
- Copy EFI to SDD
- Update MacOS to 10.13.4 (17E202)
- Everything works so far, except for the graphcis accerleraction
- Installing Nvidia Webdriver 387.10.10.10.30.107 (directly from here https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/387/WebDriver-387.10.10.10.30.107.pkg)
- reboot, hackintosh gets stuck before the apple logo
- disabling the webdriver lets me start normally and everything works again.
- BIOS is the current one
- don't know about Graphic Card bios settings

You can try to check WebDriver in your config.plist. Are you using NvdidaGraphicsfixup.kext with Lilu.kext? In fact not required with SMBIOS iMacPro1,1

OK, I deleted the Nvidiagraphicsfixup and lily.kext. Now I found out what the issue is:
I have 2 monitors connected to my 1050ti. one @ hdmi and one @ DisplayPort.
If both are connected and I activate the web driver, I get the black screen when the apple logo should come while booting. when I remove the second HMDI monitor. The web drivers work.
So now the only thing to fix is the second monitor. any ideas here?

OK, I deleted the Nvidiagraphicsfixup and lily.kext. Now I found out what the issue is:
I have 2 monitors connected to my 1050ti. one @ hdmi and one @ DisplayPort.
If both are connected and I activate the web driver, I get the black screen when the apple logo should come while booting. when I remove the second HMDI monitor. The web drivers work.
So now the only thing to fix is the second monitor. any ideas here?

Yup.. the firmware of your GPU is not fully UEFI compatible. The only way to solve your issue is to do one thing I don't like and I do not recommend at all: Enable CSM in your BIOS.

Good luck,

KGP

what I just found out: when I connect the second monitor via HDMI after booting it works correctly.
only when I reboot or turn the hackintosh off and on again the black screen is there again.
what is the disadvantage of enabling CSM?

what I just found out: when I connect the second monitor via HDMI after booting it works correctly.
only when I reboot or turn the hackintosh off and on again the black screen is there again.
what is the disadvantage of enabling CSM?

You will rapitely witness the drawbacks of CSM.. I prefer to keep my system exclusively UEFI.

Anyway, if you want to use your GPU with several monitors, you have no other choice.

I guess, I commented on this issue already more than 20x along my threads. It is a well known problem and there is a well known solution.

Enough is enough...;)

Good luck :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back