Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who know the Asus X299 Prime Deluxe inside and out, perhaps you can help me: I was helping a friend tweak his 7800x/X299 Prime Deluxe build. He’s got a GTX1070 in slot 1 and the ThunderboltEX3 in slot 4 (PCIEX16_3). He also has 2 M.2 NMVe drives. In theory that’s 28 lanes. However his bootlog doesn’t show the thunderbolt addin card, and in Ioreg it comes in at a fairly high PCiaddr of 35:0:0. (I was expecting under 8:0:0 or so). Is it possible/likely that the thunderbolt card is on PCH lanes instead of CPU lanes? Is there anything I should double check?

Thanks!

Hi Guys, I finally figured out my issue with sleep!

After lots of testing I figured that the OSXWifi BCM94360CD USB cable has to be plugged into a port that is identified as 'Built in' by MacOS, otherwise the system wakes up shortly after being put to sleep.

The issue arose when I connect the BCM94360CD to a NZXT Internal USB 2.0 hub that in turn is connected to the USB 2.0 MB header. For some reason the BCM94360CD no longer appears as 'Built in" when connected to the NZXT hub, although the NZXT Hub is connected to a port which is recognised as 'Built in'.

Also this now results in 'Wake for network access' working perfectly with version 2.4.0 of IntelMasuiEthernet.

For those who know the Asus X299 Prime Deluxe inside and out, perhaps you can help me: I was helping a friend tweak his 7800x/X299 Prime Deluxe build. He’s got a GTX1070 in slot 1 and the ThunderboltEX3 in slot 4 (PCIEX16_3). He also has 2 M.2 NMVe drives. In theory that’s 28 lanes. However his bootlog doesn’t show the thunderbolt addin card, and in Ioreg it comes in at a fairly high PCiaddr of 35:0:0. (I was expecting under 8:0:0 or so). Is it possible/likely that the thunderbolt card is on PCH lanes instead of CPU lanes? Is there anything I should double check?

Thanks!

In IOReg, check the the NHI/Thunderbolt device is attached. The path will give you clue on where it's fitted. If it's BRxx (like BR1A), then it's CPU lanes. If it's PCI0.RPxx then it's PCH

I'd be more than surprised if it could attach to the PCH, it would mean a very sophisticated hardware layout.

Hi Guys, I finally figured out my issue with sleep!

After lots of testing I figured that the OSXWifi BCM94360CD USB cable has to be plugged into a port that is identified as 'Built in' by MacOS, otherwise the system wakes up shortly after being put to sleep.

The issue arose when I connect the BCM94360CD to a NZXT Internal USB 2.0 hub that in turn is connected to the USB 2.0 MB header. For some reason the BCM94360CD no longer appears as 'Built in" when connected to the NZXT hub, although the NZXT Hub is connected to a port which is recognised as 'Built in'.

Defining a USB port as "built in" is done by setting the UsbConnector type to 255. You'll find earlier people who have posted a custom kext that helps define which USB ports are in use and their type. Check also the guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/

BCM
I have to reconnect the wireless Apple (non iMac Pro space gray) keyboard in Windows by holding down the power button every time. I just went ahead and ordered a new Apple wired keyboard for $85 off ebay (cheapest I could find for new). I don't want to deal with this issue :thumbup:

OSXWifi will work fine I think since it's a MacBook Air card and requires no kexts. At least you'll have less issues...

So I got the broadcom PCI card (BCM943602CS) installed (I put it in a PCI slot for now, and not in the original wifi M.2 slot as I don't have antennas to fit yet, I've ordered them on alibaba)
As expected. card is recognised without any fuss and no need for kext.
Best of all, all my issues with sleep and the machine requiring a reboot under windows for the Apple trackpad to work again are gone. It sleeps perfectly now and the BT keyboard and trackpad are available right after booting.
Wierdest of all, TB hotplug works after sleep now (it didn't before) \o/

The BCM943602CS is half the price as the DW1560 (BCM94352Z), it's a bit bigger and requires a M.2 adapter, but even with the adapter it's still cheaper.

BCM

So I got the broadcom PCI card (BCM943602CS) installed (I put it in a PCI slot for now, and not in the original wifi M.2 slot as I don't have antennas to fit yet, I've ordered them on alibaba)
Can you share the link to antennas that you ordered on Alibaba? Also is your keyboard available at clover menu with BCM943602CS card?

BCM

As expected. card is recognised without any fuss and no need for kext.
Best of all, all my issues with sleep and the machine requiring a reboot under windows for the Apple trackpad to work again are gone. It sleeps perfectly now and the BT keyboard and trackpad are available right after booting.
Wierdest of all, TB hotplug works after sleep now (it didn't before) \o/

The BCM943602CS is half the price as the DW1560 (BCM94352Z), it's a bit bigger and requires a M.2 adapter, but even with the adapter it's still cheaper.

Yep, that's what I figured would happen.

However, me personally, I was looking for a cleaner setup and didn't want a Wifi/BT card taking up a PCIe slot.

I have an OSXWifi card (which uses a MacBook Air card) and I can always pop that into the system and remove the BCM94352Z.

Overall I am happy right now and once my wired keyboard gets here, I don't have to worry about this issue anymore.

There may be some type of solution to this, but I think for expediency you're better off getting an OSXWifi card or something.

Before buying this crap better buy this: https://matias.store/products/fk418btlb

Apple makes some of the best keyboards and trackpads in the industry (not mice)....so I don't know how you can call them "crap."

I don't like "clone" products. For me always a Hackintosh should be the only "clone."

If I spent this much money on a Hackintosh, I don't mind spending another $150 for a keyboard that makes my desk look good.

I am still using Apple LED Cinema Displays as my monitors so it fits my setup.

I'll most likely be getting the Space Gray keyboard later this year, but that means I have to use my OSXWifi card instead of what I have now.

Hi All,
Since I upgraded to 10.13.4 (and therefore added the VegaFixup.kext) I have been experiencing a lot of full system crashes (complete lockup requiring a hard reset). It seems to happen in graphics intensive applications (final cut pro, quicktime, xplane 11). Anyone have any thoughts at all? Anyone else have Vega, use 2 DP monitors therefore requiring the fixup.kext, and use FCPX experiencing anything similar? Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Peter

@kgp, could you help me, please?

You should avoid to enable CSM.. CSM is only required in case that your GPU does not support UEFI...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back