Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait a minute, how are you finding your ports?
Here are the correct steps of finding ports. I hope this is what you're doing, if not this is what you should do.

1. Remove X299USB.kext from your other/efi folder and also remove any USB kext (except your Bluetooth/Wifi) ones.
2. Reboot.
3. Enable latest USB Port Limit patch in config.plist.

turned out that for the BT to properly work, I must boot under windows after shutting down the machine. BT will work after that, even after reboot etc.. but not from shutdown.

I have followed the steps documented by @kgp a while back, and started from DSM2 kext.

The original steps were described there:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/

BTW, I note that you have marked *all* your HSxx entries as UsbConnector 0 ... This is not the correct way to do so. Only USB 2.0 (and only USB 2.0 ports) should be set to 0.
If they are USB 3, it should be set to UsbConnector 3.

@kgp question for you... I can see with the Intel Power Gadget that the frequency changes all the way down to 1.2GHz, yet, following "E.1) HWP (Intel SpeedShift Technology) CPU Power Management Configuration"

X86PlatformPlugin.kext isn't loaded (kextstat|grep -y x86plat returns nothing). I have plugin-type checked in Clover, and in the CP00@0, I can see that the plugin-type property was inserted.
sysctl -n machdep.xcpm.vectors_loaded_count also returns 0.

Any suggestions, or entry in the BIOS I should be looking at?

Ok, I have solved this issue... I had followed someone post a while back and installed a X299PlatformPlugin.kext which wasn't loaded as the permissions in /Library/Extensions weren't correct.

After fixing the permissions, it's all good now.

you won't get 5K resolution with this TB3 card, 2560x1440 max...

When you put the machine to slepp and wake it up, are all the LG 5K peripherals (USB hub, audio and webcam) still working?

I have a "small" display screen with 1920 x 1200 owned by my endeavour (for the moment : I 'm looking for a LG 3440 x 1440)
At wake :
- My screen is working
- Device pluged on TB3 USB 3.1 is always on.
- I have sometimes issue with USB pluged on other ports. ( I have created my own SST for USB)

I noticed that adaptive light on display is not working with TB3.

Last edited:
turned out that for the BT to properly work, I must boot under windows after shutting down the machine. BT will work after that, even after reboot etc.. but not from shutdown.

I have followed the steps documented by @kgp a while back, and started from DSM2 kext.

The original steps were described there:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/

BTW, I note that you have marked *all* your HSxx entries as UsbConnector 0 ... This is not the correct way to do so. Only USB 2.0 (and only USB 2.0 ports) should be set to 0.
If they are USB 3, it should be set to UsbConnector 3

My kext (originally from DSM2) is correct and works perfectly fine for me.

I learned how to make this with RehabMans guide.

I have individually tested EVERY port on this motherboard (excluding USB-C, have not gotten a device yet) with USB 3.0 devices and marked those ports as "3". And also each and every port with USB 2.0 devices and marked those as "0" one by one using IOReg 2.1. Yes when you plug in USB 2.0 devices into USB3.0 ports, it shows up under HSxx. The Designare EX only has 2x real USB2.0 ports (on the top side of the mobo) and they are separate and not sitting on a internal hub. The rest are all USB3.0 ports (for example the bottom 4 next to the 2x Gigabit LAN ports are sitting on an internal HUB). I have not tested USB-C yet, which is USB3.1 (I assume those 2 ports on the mobo which are also TB3, are separate and not on a hub).

All the USB connectors settings are taken from IOReg while plugging real devices in (USB2/3) I didn't make them up. 3 is NOT necessary for all HSxx ports. I actually had issues with the original DSM2 kext (even though he has same Designare EX) so I modified it and it works fine for me. With his kext drives weren't being mounted because he was using "3" on all of the HSxx ports. For example, I would connect a USB2.0 GRAID drive to the rear USB3.0 port and it would not mount for me at all. Or I had issues with the PC cases front 2 panels (which are their own individual ports and not a hub that connects to the internal motherboard connector).

HS = USB 2.0
SSP = USB 3.0

USB2.0 = 0
USB3.0 = 3
INTERNAL = 255

Remember:
HS = Hi-Speed USB2.0 which is 0.
SSP = SuperSpeed USB3.0 which is 3.

So anyway, please do your own research and learn how to do it properly with RehabMans guide before saying it doesn't work. It takes a bit of work to understand what is being done, but if you spend time doing it you will appreciate it later. It adds overall stability to the system that's worth it.

Everything works 100% here and I have spent maybe 100+ hours on proper USB implementation that works 100% for me now.

The point is, if you read RehabMan's guide, is to keep below 15 devices and NOT use the port limit patch which makes the system unstable.

You can get away with using the port limit patch and no port discovery method, but in the long run you will have issues with different devices.

So you MUST disable port limit patch so you use macOS native 15 port limit and then use an SSDT created with RehabMan's guide or use what you learned with USB port discovery creation and apply it to DSM2's X299USB.kext.

You only use the port limit patch during the creation of your USB port discovery method (either kext or ssdt) then you disable the port limit patch and use your ssdt or kext.

Last edited:
Try the Vega5KFixup kext that is linked to in the first post. That should fix it for you...
Thanks; have it working now with the 5K. However, I also found that I needed to have the Lilu.kext as well.

Thanks; have it working now with the 5K. However, I also found that I needed to have the Lilu.kext as well.

Fine : you confirm that with the 5K it is working : as I mentioned before I'm looking for a 4k and for me i's important that I can use it as well.

Hi everybody!
I need your help! I cannot perform C.7 section because I only own an old iMac that cannot support newer OSX than Sierra 10.12.6 and Xcode requires 10.13 :cry:
so would anyone provide me with a successful compilation of the TSCAdjustRest.kext?
thank you so much in advance for your precious help

View attachment 325687 Today get my TB3 fully implemented on PCi

Wow! How? I can't get my Universal Audio Arrow to work. Using Gigabyte Alpine Ridge v2.0 in the Asus MB.

Now my drivers aren't appearing at all. :( How do I get mine to look like Lolo's? :)

Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 19.17.09.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 19.17.20.png

I have a "small" display screen with 1920 x 1200 owned by my endeavour (for the moment : I 'm looking for a LG 3440 x 1440)
At wake :
- My screen is working
- Device pluged on TB3 USB 3.1 is always on.
- I have sometimes issue with USB pluged on other ports. ( I have created my own SST for USB)

I noticed that adaptive light on display is not working with TB3.

Yeah, I don't need 4k or 5k either. I just need one of those 38 inch babies at 3840x1600!

@kgp

Hi, I am working on getting my Rampage VI Extreme audio working. However I have tried all three different ways to do that, none of them are working... Do you why is that or is there any other way to do that? Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back