Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to put pea sized paste not a lot. Very small amount. Then have the heatsink spread it around the surface area once you push it down.

I would reset your OC if you have it and start from there again. Try to see your temps on default while on full load.

OC isn’t alwyas recommended anyway.
I am getting slightly above 100C with auto settings for frequency and CPU voltage. The results on cinebench around 3700.

Having trouble with the web drivers on 17D2104. I ran the repackager and everything seemed to work but when I try to switch to the web driver from the Nvidia icon (or system preferences) both the default graphics and the web driver are greyed out. The link for the repackager in the guide is broken, but I found it and downloaded it from github. Any news regarding the official web drivers for 17D2104?
I have the same issue. I tried to repackage two different versions of web driver, but in both cases have the same result.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 23.17.26.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 23.17.26.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 140
I did it about three times now and it is still giving me this:
RDMSR e2 returns value 0x402

I will get another USB drive and try again.

By the way, I just checked it today and now I am getting correct value:
RDMSR e2 returns value 0x7e000003
No idea why

I don't know, as I have no idea what the "working" behaviour should be.
Like am I supposed to see new entry in the System Information PCI entry?
Or is it just supposed to allow hot plugging TB devices? Because if that's so, no, it doesn't work with that clover patch using pciaddr 0a:00,00
I don’t think you see it in System Profiler>PCI, I think it just enables hotplug? I’ll try it tonight.

I am getting slightly above 100C with auto settings for frequency and CPU voltage. The results on cinebench around 3700.

That is way too high for any CPU. you want to not even hit 85c especially in full PC cases. The real iMac constantly 90c+ above on full load, which shortens the life span for CPUs. But Apple, as you know, cares more about aesthetics/low noise level than keeping a CPU cool. This is why the real iMac throttles. And that is what most likely will happen to your CPU especially at those insane temp levels.

You need to take a look at your cooler and follow proper instructions for applying pea sized thermal paste and make sure the CPU cooler surface is properly contacting your CPU. I would get rubbing alcohol and clean both the CPU surface and CPU cooler surface and let it dry then start over again.

There are a lot of guides out there for proper thermal application with a cpu cooler. I don't know what CPU cooler you're using, but if it's an AIO you should be hovering around high 70c's max and lower on full load without an OC. Skylake-X runs hot especially OC'd, but it shouldn't be that hot.

Look at my CPU (I use BeQuiet! Silent Loop 240mm) and on full load in CineBench I only hit around ~67c (no overclock) on a 7900x.

You need to make sure you have proper fan intake/exhaust so you bring in clean cool air from the front and exhaust from the rear (and top if you'd like).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 6.59.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 6.59.21 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 142
Last edited:
In

1. In DPCIManager find your TB3 Device ID.
2. In boot.log find where is your device and copy adres to clover arbitrary.

Been trying to figure this out on my MB (GA-Z170X-UD5 TH) and my thunderbolt controller shows up in ioreg and DPCIManager (1578) but NOT in the boot.log. Is it because of PXSX?

Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 10.42.59 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 10.40.50 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 10.37.57 PM.png

That is way too high for any CPU. you want to not even hit 85c especially in full PC cases. The real iMac constantly 90c+ above on full load, which shortens the life span for CPUs. But Apple, as you know, cares more about aesthetics/low noise level than keeping a CPU cool. This is why the real iMac throttles. And that is what most likely will happen to your CPU especially at those insane temp levels.

You need to take a look at your cooler and follow proper instructions for applying pea sized thermal paste and make sure the CPU cooler surface is properly contacting your CPU. I would get rubbing alcohol and clean both the CPU surface and CPU cooler surface and let it dry then start over again.

There are a lot of guides out there for proper thermal application with a cpu cooler. I don't know what CPU cooler you're using, but if it's an AIO you should be hovering around high 70c's max and lower on full load without an OC. Skylake-X runs hot especially OC'd, but it shouldn't be that hot.

Look at my CPU (I use BeQuiet! Silent Loop 240mm) and on full load in CineBench I only hit around ~67c (no overclock) on a 7900x.

You need to make sure you have proper fan intake/exhaust so you bring in clean cool air from the front and exhaust from the rear (and top if you'd like).

izo1, thank you for your feedback!

I have Kraken x62 and prior to that I had Corsair 150i Pro. I had similar temps with both of them and I believe that 360mm fans performed a bit better than 280mm of Kraken x62. I also have 7960x which gets hotter faster than 7900x.

I did try different techniques for thermal paste application and maybe there is still some room for improvement, but I think that at the end I am hitting this temp level due to limitations of my coolers.

Check what KGP was getting on his 7980xe, mine is pretty similar to his (both screenshots are attached here). I am not saying it is safe, I was just too busy with other things I have ongoing with my build to concentrate on temperature readings. I should also admit that I didn't see temperature going that high during normal operation like photo editing.

I had so many little issues here and there and didn't really have time to enjoy it yet. Hopefully soon I will sit and relax when I fix all outstanding problems.

Attachments

• xcpm-new-i9-7980XE-4.6GHz.png
    xcpm-new-i9-7980XE-4.6GHz.png
    247.4 KB · Views: 134
  • Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 09.07.45.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 09.07.45.png
    203.6 KB · Views: 149
izo1, thank you for your feedback!

I have Kraken x62 and prior to that I had Corsair 150i Pro. I had similar temps with both of them and I believe that 360mm fans performed a bit better than 280mm of Kraken x62. I also have 7960x which gets hotter faster than 7900x.

I did try different techniques for thermal paste application and maybe there is still some room for improvement, but I think that at the end I am hitting this temp level due to limitations of my coolers.

Check what KGP was getting on his 7980xe, mine is pretty similar to his (both screenshots are attached here). I am not saying it is safe, I was just too busy with other things I have ongoing with my build to concentrate on temperature readings. I should also admit that I didn't see temperature going that high during normal operation like photo editing.

I had so many little issues here and there and didn't really have time to enjoy it yet. Hopefully soon I will sit and relax when I fix all outstanding problems.

I don’t understand why you would want to push your cpu to melting point. That temperature is scary and it’s not even showing what the poor vrm mos fets are suffering. I would be more conservative and if you are really into overclocking get a ekwb monobloc as the guide points out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back