Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@DSM2,
please revise and confirm the updated Gigabyte Designare EX BIOS settings, newly implemented in Section B.3) - Gigabyte BIOS Configuration.
I had missed the changed to Thunderbolt, I disabled the security settings (otherwise a new plugged device won't show on the mac until authorised in windows)

I had missed the changed to Thunderbolt, I disabled the security settings (otherwise a new plugged device won't show on the mac until authorised in windows)

So please can you come up with the additional TB BIOS settings and tell me where to add them?

I did, I edited my post...

o.k. , done..

CPU EIST Function: Disabled

7.) /Peripheral/Thunderbolt Configuration/ (Designare EX only)
a.) Security Level : SL0 - No Security

Any additional comments?

DSM2, all settings fine with you?

Download ResExtreme and just activate your resolution with iMac Pro SMBios http://resxtreme.com/
I had already attempted that path to no available.
Resextreme only shows 2560x1440 max for this screen.
Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 11.37.22 am.png
Those 5K screen use two DP 1.2 connectors, the screen is actually made like two 2560x2880 screen for each half.

That also doesn't fix the issue that you can't plug or unplug screen once booted into macOS (though, of course I could live without that convenience)

Up to my knowledge, @DSM2 runs the VEGA with SMBIOS iMacPro,1,1 without any issue.. I rather guess that you yet miss some important ingredient. Let's wait and see about further comments and recommendations by @DSM2. I really hope, he will help you in fixing your issues. He is the expert with respect to VEGA and I don't want to interfere or take his part in this discussion.

If you would just provide a complete list of actual and optimised Gigabyte BIOS settings, I could easily include the latter list in my guide, replacing the current brief and partly incomplete Gigabyte BIOS settings instructions. I would rather prefer to remain with the current compact listing format instead of unnecessary extending the guide with a series of additional pictures. Your contribution and efforts in this direction are highly welcome and appreciated.

Cheers,

KGP
Hi I also use VEGA 64FE without any Issue on 2 4K Monitors

Attachments

• IMG_0765.JPG
    IMG_0765.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 174
  • Screen Shot 2018-02-28 alle 12.04.53.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-02-28 alle 12.04.53.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 198
  • Screen Shot 2018-02-28 alle 12.04.40.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-02-28 alle 12.04.40.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 198
Reactions: kgp
Hi I also use VEGA 64FE without any Issue on 2 4K Monitors
That's great thank you for confirming.
When you disconnect the screen set as primary, does the other one automatically reconfigure itself and the menu bar shows on it) ?

Well, NO when I disconnect and reconnect the screen, my primary screen remains black. So it does not reconnect.
BUT, I still are able to "work" normally on the second screen, and the menu bars is always visible/usable on both monitors.
Even if the 1st primary monitor does not reconnect, I'm able to use the second one as the "new" primary.

Well, NO when I disconnect and reconnect the screen, my primary screen remains black. So it does not reconnect.
BUT, I still are able to "work" normally on the second screen, and the menu bars is always visible/usable on both monitors.
Even if the 1st primary monitor does not reconnect, I'm able to use the second one as the "new" primary.

These are in my opinion basically cosmetic issues not relevant for daily use. Nobody will permanently plug/unplug his/her monitors..

Thanks for confirming full Vega multi-monitor compatibly with SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 and 10.13.3 (17D2102), @prunzi :thumbup:

Thus, the only issue left seems Rulebreaker01's 5K monitor issue, which seems to be rather a monitor specific than global VEGA issue...

All other claims about VEGA incompatibly with SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 apparently turned out to be nothing but smoke and mirrors, as expected from the very beginning ;)

Cheers,

KGP

I have the 960 Pro 1TB used for the mac in the Gigabyte Designare closest to the F_PANEL connector, On the designare it's called M2Q_32G
I have a case fan at the bottom of the case (and Fractal Design C) pushing air in, as such there's nothing between the case fan and this nvme drive.
I didn't choose this location because of better cooling, just that the one next to the CPU that I use for windows/linux is already taken :)
Having said that, this seems to be the perfect location cooling wise.
On the Asus Prime board I had put it on the vertical connector, right in front of the front fan.

After running Blackmagic Disk Speed Test for over 10 minutes, the temperature of this SSD reached 54C, the speed in blackmagic are staying consistent, when I stopped it: 2000MB/s write and 2439MB/s read
View attachment 316480
(after finishing writing this post, the temperature of the SSD is down to 48C)

Interesting.. although your NVMe load temps are even higher than in my case, you do not seem to face any NVMe performance loss due to a likely thermal throttling.

NVMe load temps of 54 deg C however rather contradict your conclusion that you found the perfect location cooling wise.. ;)

Thus maybe the occasional performance loss with the 960 EVO might not be either related with thermal throttling, but might be the consequence of basic differences between the EVO 960 and the EVO 960 Pro?

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back