Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
HFS+ - 16sec boot time (after ++++ and before background loaded)
APFS - 1min10sec boot time (after ++++ and before background loaded)
Yes, I understand. 16s vs 70s is a big difference. I would also not be happy with this.

After FIPSPOST things get really slow. I wonder why that is...

Good luck with debugging!

HFS+ - 16sec boot time (after ++++ and before background loaded)

https://thireus.com/HACKINTOSH/HFS+_Boot_2TB_NVME_SAMSUNG_PRO_10.13.3_(17D2047)_CLOVER_r4392.mp4

APFS - 1min10sec boot time (after ++++ and before background loaded)

https://thireus.com/HACKINTOSH/APFS_Boot_2TB_NVME_SAMSUNG_PRO_10.13.3_(17D2047)_CLOVER_r4392.mp4

You can notice the slow down when the messages "FIPSPOST_USER" are displayed, but not only, the whole boot process is slow.

Both tests were conducted on the same NVME:

- 960 PRO 2TB NVMe M.2
- Same MacOS 10.13.3 (17D2047)
- Same CLOVER bootloader r4392

The only differences are that I did a fresh install on HFS+ today and migrated all my data with Apple's migration assistant. I've been having these slow boots since the beginning on APFS, so I thought it was normal...

Now to complete the test and see if this is due to a fresh install or to APFS, I'd have to perform a clean install again this time selecting APFS instead of HFS.

So, either the slow boot is due to the fact I did a fresh install directly on builds that support iMacPro1,1. Or it is because of the filesystem. Or both.

Maybe someone will be able to test these scenarios and check what's slowing down the system.

I don't think this is an outdated discussion, I believe many are using APFS with NVME here and are probably not realising that their system is a bit slow.

Do what you want. My APFS system boots in within 8 sec. @paulotex ‘s APFS system within 35 sec vs. 25 sec with HFS+.

If you are content that you need more than 1 min to boot your APFS system please continue with the discussion. Don‘t you see that something on your system or APFS system configuration seems tremondously wrong?

Good night..

Second that.
The faster boot with APFS in the latest HS is a new thing and the discussion will help everyone have another go with it.

Today I formatted my 960 evo to HFS and cloned from my backup SSD, then formatted APFS and tried again.
The boot times were exactly the same.
When formatting APFS it's important to format the container via terminal and not use disk utility.

Thanks Pete for the important confirmation of my statements and findings :thumbup: ... This will hopefully and finally stop @Thireus in his endeavour to further discredit APFS along this thread.

@Thireus , happy debugging :thumbup::wave:

Edit: Did not do anything special with my APFS System Disk. It was on HFS+ before the 10.13.3 (27D2047) clean install and on APFS after.. Adding all my programs and data did not significantly change the boot time..

Last edited:
Do what you want. My APFS system boots in within 8 sec. @paulotex ‘s APFS system within 35 sec vs. 25 sec with HFS+.

If you are content that you need more than 1 min to boot your APFS system please continue with the discussion. Don‘t you see that something on your system or APFS system configuration seems tremondously wrong?

Good night..

@kgp you really need to get some help. There is something wrong happening in your head, really... If that's all you need to say, then don't say anything seriously. Can't you see that people are trying to have a constructive discussion and are trying to help each other rather than stating that we have a big ego and a flawless system?

I'm glad for you that your system is working very well. Now, instead of imagining things that I haven't said or making the wrong assumptions and still claiming that you're right to feed your ego, why don't you have a good night sleep and relax a little. Ok?

I’m not stupid, I’m not going to use APFS now that I’ve noticed that it doesn’t fit well with my configuration… I’m gonna stay with HFS+ until we debunk the issue that’s causing APFS to misbehave. And if this issue is related to my system only, then I’m perfectly fine with that and I’m still happy that others don’t face the same troubles.

What I was trying to do was just to provide my input as it might help others or give them ideas about what to try to fix their slow boot problems. Nothing else.

Last edited:
Thank you!

Tell that to @kgp. He doesn't get it.

And @paulotex does not get it and @pete1959 either... @DSM2, did you even try to use APFS under 10.3.3 (17D2047)?

@Thireus, I don't know what is up with you.. Why you have to repeatedly bring everything to a personal level. See posts #4389 and #4451...

I have nothing against you and I really want to maintain peace along this thread and support you where ever possible and as much time allows. Please just let's keep a professional level of conversation, o.k.?

All the best man and really nothing for bad! Let's keep on rocking together..

KGP

I have to say that this was the behaviour from the start with High Sierra until 10.13.2 ! I never tried it with 10.13.3 - Why ? In my personal opinion it’s just crap and I don’t have any benefits from APFS.

Then try first and comment later on, once you a are familiar with the actual status.

All the best,

KGP

@Thireus, maybe the problem is that you implement both APFS and HFS+ disks in your system? I do solely use APFS disks.

Can you try to remove any HFS+ disk and see if your APFS boot time improves?

That would be an interesting test to do and it would be great to know about your results.

I have nothing against you and I really want to maintain peace along this thread and support you where ever possible and as much time allows. Please just let's keep a professional level of conversation, o.k.?

I'm doing my best to keep the conversation constructive but you don't realise how rude you are. And yes I lost my temper because I know that what I'm saying on this thread is constructive and can help others, and you are constantly trying to sabotage what I'm saying, diminish me or state that what I'm saying is outdated and that everything works flawlessly. This has to stop.

You need to accept the fact that we are on a forum and you are not a dictator here. Messages posted on this thread are not directed to you necessarily. So instead of insisting on the fact that you’re the best and everything is working, allow others to attempt resolving their issues.

I'm doing my best to keep the conversation constructive but you don't realise how rude you are. And yes I lost my temper because I know that what I'm saying on this thread is constructive and can help others, and you are constantly trying to sabotage what I'm saying, diminish me or state that what I'm saying is outdated and that everything works flawlessly. This has to stop.

You need to accept the fact that we are on a forum and you are not a dictator here. Messages posted on this thread are not directed to you necessarily. So instead of insisting on the fact that you’re the best and everything is working, allow others to attempt resolving their issues.

Alright, can you please do the test I propose in post #4457?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back