Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, I've been able to unlock MSR on Prime X299-A using your patches (and later simplified it to just one patch, see https://github.com/danielstuart14/ASUS_BIOS_REPO/issues/12#issuecomment-352155244 ) and got rid of FakeCPUID.

However, there is still something wrong with cpu power management, I think: the machine reboots instead of waking up from sleep if I disable _xcpm_core_scope_msrs kernel patch. 0xE2 is still unlocked after sleep (at least in AppleIntelInfo.kext output), so it seems to be a different problem

Also, I'm currently using FrequencyVectors from iMac Pro (injected by CPUFriend.kext). At least I think so. Found iMac Pro boardid here https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2017/06/07/2017-imac-pro-smbios-data/ and in geekbench results http://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/5384582. So I took FrequencyVectors from /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/X86PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources/Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94.plist Though I didn't notice any performance improvements

Questions:

1.) Can you upload the complete patch you used for the Prime X299-A? Would this patch also be valid for the Prime X299 Deluxe?

2.) How did you get the rest of SMBIOS details for SMBIOS iMacPro1,1? The SMBIOS details of Pike are not complete...

3.) Can you upload your config.plist or EFI-Folder?

Questions:

1.) Can you upload the complete patch you used for the Prime X299-A? Would this patch also be valid for the Prime X299 Deluxe?

Please follow the link to github, the patch is there, and the discussion regarding X299 Deluxe is there too.

2.) How did you get the rest of SMBIOS details for SMBIOS iMacPro1,1? The SMBIOS details of Pike are not complete...

SMBIOS in Clover is set to MacPro6,1. As you probably know, it has no FrequencyVectors in IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext (so "by default" it has machdep.xcpm.vectors_loaded_count: 0).

I installed CPUFriend.kext, enabled PluginType in SSDT "Generate Options" in Clover (PluginType=1 of course), and generated CPUFriendDataProvider.kext from Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94.plist. Now I have machdep.xcpm.vectors_loaded_count: 1

What CPUFriend is and how to use it is described here https://github.com/PMheart/CPUFriend/blob/master/Instructions.md

3.) Can you upload your config.plist or EFI-Folder?

Yes, I'll do it soon

Please follow the link to github, the patch is there, and the discussion regarding X299 Deluxe is there too.

SMBIOS in Clover is set to MacPro6,1. As you probably know, it has no FrequencyVectors in IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext (so "by default" it has machdep.xcpm.vectors_loaded_count: 0).

I installed CPUFriend.kext, enabled PluginType in SSDT "Generate Options" in Clover (PluginType=1 of course), and generated CPUFriendDataProvider.kext from Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94.plist. Now I have machdep.xcpm.vectors_loaded_count: 1

What CPUFriend is and how to use it is described here https://github.com/PMheart/CPUFriend/blob/master/Instructions.md

Yes, I'll do it soon

1.) Alright, as you certainly know I am not particularly interested in SMBIOS macPRO6,1. I definitely prefer iMac17,1. In fact from your post above I thought that you already implemented SMBIOS iMacPro1,1, which however apparently is not the case...

2.) I was following your link to the thread in the other forum. But you say that you added something to the Prime X299-A patch, although you don't know if that is really necessary. Also you did not answer in the other thread if your patch also works with the X299 Deluxe. It is also not clear to me how the entire patch you applied finally looks like. Thus, can you please upload patches.txt you applied?

Cheers,

KGP

1.) Alright, as you certainly know I am not particularly interested in SMBIOS macPRO6,1. I definitely prefer iMac17,1. In fact from your post above I thought that you already implemented SMBIOS iMacPro1,1, which however apparently is not the case...

You can still replace FrequencyVectors though

2.) I was following your link to the thread in the other forum. But you say that you added something to the Prime X299-A patch, although you don't know if that is really necessary.

Yes, I am not sure if MSR can be already locked when that code executes. So to be sure I extended the patch to try to unlock MSR in that case.

Also you did not answer in the other thread if your patch also works with the X299 Deluxe.

Because I didn't try it myself (because I have no X299 Deluxe board). People are complaining that current UEFIPatch doesn't work with X299 Deluxe image at all. So if you want to apply the patch to X299 Deluxe image, you have to use UEFITool + hex editor.

It is also not clear to me how the entire patch you applied finally looks like. Thus, can you please upload patches.txt you applied?

Entire patch was in the linked comment. Though no problem, attaching the file here.

And also my clover configuration (config.plist + kexts + drivers64UEFI + ACPI)

Attachments

• patches.txt
    2.2 KB · Views: 214
  • CLOVER.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 93
Hi kgp,

I'm almost near the end of your excellent guide but got a small problem.
  • XCPM part went fine and all the checks you mentioned came back ok.
  • Did the ssdtPRGen.sh and put in place the SSDT.aml
  • I put in place: KGP-ASUSPrimeX299Deluxe-USB.kext, worked perfect.

However: I'm not sure about: SSDT-X299.aml should I copy that to the ACPI/patched as well (so next to the ssdt.aml?)

I did this, the system booted but graphics were low res, and not stable.

What I'm trying to realise is getting SLEEP working. When I do SLEEP now, it seems to sleep half (gpu fans turn off, but fans of the case don't), and it doesn't wake again. What could be the cause of this?

Im using Corsair AX860. But before buying new PSU, you should try any other PSU with enough wattage, just to see, if that is the actual problem.
As kgp mentioned, it could be something else.

I did try the Corsair Rm 850x, still error 00,
AF14D289-C19A-41E2-831E-010AF4AB93A6.jpeg
2E455A23-F8EB-4DF3-ADBE-E29009B56D15.jpeg

I don’t know what else I could try.. Probably the 1000W or the “Corsair AX860”.. It’s bugging me, :banghead::banghead:

Hi kgp,

I'm almost near the end of your excellent guide but got a small problem.
  • XCPM part went fine and all the checks you mentioned came back ok.
  • Did the ssdtPRGen.sh and put in place the SSDT.aml
  • I put in place: KGP-ASUSPrimeX299Deluxe-USB.kext, worked perfect.

However: I'm not sure about: SSDT-X299.aml should I copy that to the ACPI/patched as well (so next to the ssdt.aml?)

I did this, the system booted but graphics were low res, and not stable.

What I'm trying to realise is getting SLEEP working. When I do SLEEP now, it seems to sleep half (gpu fans turn off, but fans of the case don't), and it doesn't wake again. What could be the cause of this?

You probably cannot use SSDT-X299.aml without adaptation. The same states for the DSDT Replacement patches. IOREGExplorer is your fiend ;)

You can still replace FrequencyVectors though

Yes, I am not sure if MSR can be already locked when that code executes. So to be sure I extended the patch to try to unlock MSR in that case.

Because I didn't try it myself (because I have no X299 Deluxe board). People are complaining that current UEFIPatch doesn't work with X299 Deluxe image at all. So if you want to apply the patch to X299 Deluxe image, you have to use UEFITool + hex editor.

Entire patch was in the linked comment. Though no problem, attaching the file here.

And also my clover configuration (config.plist + kexts + drivers64UEFI + ACPI)

Thanks, man! I gave it a try. Your patches.txt applies the Kabylake patch instead of the Skyalke-X patch for the Prime X299 Deluxe.

@interferenc , I also tried to apply your 3 step patch procedure from post #1914. In the last step, I also get as it was already mentioned in post #1916:

Code:
parseImageFile: Aptio capsule signature may become invalid after image modifications
parseVolume: unknown file system 5473C07A-3DCB-4DCA-BD6F-1E9689E7349A
parseFile: non-empty pad-file contents will be destroyed after volume modifications
parseFile: non-empty pad-file contents will be destroyed after volume modifications
No patches can be applied to input file

Any news?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back