Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I built them from source so they should be up to date (I read there was an issue on 1.2.1). The only plugin I'm using is the NvidiaGraphicsFixup one.

I just rebooted and started to get the random reboots again :(

There have been issues with 1.2.0.... Now, 1.2.1 is the good one. I don't know, where your random reboots come from. Never faced any....

By the way... can you please add your Skylake-X/X299 system specs (mobo, cpu, gpu) to your profile or signature?

Well, I played 3 hours with lucatze EFI...
It boots, 30 sec slower then KGP EFI. It boots even removing all the fixes and patches and USB inject, AddClock, Fixownership, AppleRTC, and, and, and....BUT...when I run Geekbench it seems to let the processor run higher (more near 4,7GHZ then with KGP EFI -see last immage-View attachment 298932 View attachment 298933 View attachment 298934 ), but it crashes every time, no matter what I do!!!
I also confirm that without ssdtprgen skylake X seems to be supported (AppleInfoMaster gives similar result even without having installed ssdtPRGEN...
Tomorrow I'll trie to lower the overclocking freq. and see if I have the same results as with KGP on 4,7GHZ...until now KGP efi for me is number ONE even on Gigabyte X299 Aorus Gaming 9!!!.
...But having ruined Geekbench with KGP I confirm that the CPU maintains the same benchmark results as in 10.13.1 BUT there is a better support of AMD VEGA FE in MacOS 10.13.2 Geekbench is higher and now 2 monitors are natively supported and the Geekbench looks this like.

@prunzi your CPU OC is not finished, so it can be very very difficult to be stable, when you should add few very important changes :) I will send you more info after sleep... I had last day and night very very busy...
I'm happy if you have better performance! (but it must be stable too :) )
XMP - stay with profile 1, it's not time to touch it....

BTW:
for ALL people which don't know about some bug after login - Apple logo and that load line which load very slow.. for few seconds:
here (below) is a Clover patch for that: tested on my PC 1h ago, and after 5-6 boot tests I can confirm
on my PC at this moment problem is gone.. :D * patch for new Clover
PS1: of course I use -v always so it's 1s after that and before login screen :p
PS2: (last few days I use my 850Pro for OSX so, that's is the reason why I felt that, because with NVME
it can be (maybe) very difficult to see/feel...)

PS3: Apple has released for download macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 Beta 1 - they go fast :D :crazy::beachball:

Time to sleep, see you later :) :p
Have a nice day!! :D

Attachments

• Clover_patch_vit9696.zip
    671 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Update of EFI-Folder in originating post/guide

EFI-Folder related changes:
  • Implementation of Clover Boot Loader Clover_v2.4k_r4334

Enjoy and have fun :thumbup:

kgp.png

Attachments

• EFI-X299-10.13.2-Release-121217.zip
    19.3 MB · Views: 156
I'm also running the 7820x ...By the way, just until now, I was getting random reboots .
Run some stability tests under Windows and under macOS. If they cause random reboots, then perhaps you'll have to fix the core voltage of the CPU in the BIOS. This happened to me:

After installation my system was very unstable. It would randomly reboot without any warning. I got a suggestion that the default core voltage in BIOS might not be adequate, and that solved the issue. I set the core voltage to 1.12V with no overclocking and to 1.21V with some mild overclocking, and the system is solid. I am able to run Prime95 for 8 hours with no crashes.

Before adjusting any voltage, I advise you to do some stability tests. Perhaps my problems are related with bad luck in the silicon lottery, and not some specific fault of the motherboard.

Download Prime95 and Geekbench 4, both for Windows and for macOS, and run them both with standard BIOS settings. In my case, Prime95 crashed the system in macOS but ran fine in Windows 10, and Geekbench 4 was the opposite: it ran fine under macOS but crashed under Windows 10. If you find that both programs run fine, perhaps there is no need to set the voltage and your problem might be somewhere else.

To run these tests, keep Intel Power Gadget running in the background, so you can check the CPU's power consumption, temperature, and frequency.

In Prime95, go to the Options menu and choose "Torture Test". Press OK and let it run for some time. The test goes over some different configurations over a period of several minutes. If after say 15min you have no crashes, then you can stop the test (in the Test menu) and try Geekbench. Geekbench CPU test only lasts a few minutes. If you system passes both tests (10-15 min of Prime95 and the CPU test in Geekbench), then you might consider a full torture test of Prime95. In my case it lasted for about 8 hours (I let it run during the night).

If your system crashes during one of these tests, then consider booting into the UEFI and changing the Core Voltage. Set it at 1.2V, reboot and redo the tests again. Keep lowering the voltage until they fail, and use the last known good voltage to do the full Prime95 torture test. In my case, the system is stable at stock speed with 1.12V core voltage.

I was able even to do a very minimal overclocking to 4.4GHz with core voltage at 1.21V. The system is fine.

I just feel like maybe im not getting a minor detail or two. Im having Trouble even getting the usb installer to boot into

This is not helpful, no idea what problem you might have. Does it reboot all the time? Does it get stuck somewhere? Before or after the +++++ line? Is it Clover getting stuck or is it the kernel? All of these issues are important.

If your system gets stuck at boot, post a pic of the stuck screen. Remember to boot with -v so some info is there.

If your system reboots, then film it and post the last frame before restart, so we can see the message.

Remember that Clover can load in verbose mode too. This is different than "-v", and it makes Clover output more messages while it is loading the kernel and applying the patches and load the kexts in Other. The option to boot in verbose mode is somewhere in the Clover options, I don't remember now where.

So more info from you is needed before we can even start debugging your system.

Reactions: kgp
Update of EFI-Folder in originating post/guide

EFI-Folder related changes:
  • Implementation of Clover Boot Loader Clover_v2.4k_r4334

Enjoy and have fun :thumbup:

View attachment 299076

Clover -> :thumbup:

but... did you tried new BIOS for our MB? :)

I updated mine 10 minutes ago...
like always I had black screen on first X boot-s
(I think it's Vega cards problem ...)
so then I had to boot few times, clear cmos again, reset X times and then
I could reconfigure my BIOS completely,
at this moment with basic configuration for OS X, everything seems to work well..

I will do more tests, and let you know if I find something interesting :)

Last edited:

at this moment with basic configuration for OS X, everything seems to work well..

Yup, I performed the BIOS update and BIOS reconfiguration this morning without any issues and just flawless.

Although I have to confess that so far I did not witness any major changes or improvements.

Run some stability tests under Windows and under macOS. If they cause random reboots, then perhaps you'll have to fix the core voltage of the CPU in the BIOS. This happened to me:

After installation my system was very unstable. It would randomly reboot without any warning. I got a suggestion that the default core voltage in BIOS might not be adequate, and that solved the issue. I set the core voltage to 1.12V with no overclocking and to 1.21V with some mild overclocking, and the system is solid. I am able to run Prime95 for 8 hours with no crashes.

Before adjusting any voltage, I advise you to do some stability tests. Perhaps my problems are related with bad luck in the silicon lottery, and not some specific fault of the motherboard.

Download Prime95 and Geekbench 4, both for Windows and for macOS, and run them both with standard BIOS settings. In my case, Prime95 crashed the system in macOS but ran fine in Windows 10, and Geekbench 4 was the opposite: it ran fine under macOS but crashed under Windows 10. If you find that both programs run fine, perhaps there is no need to set the voltage and your problem might be somewhere else.

To run these tests, keep Intel Power Gadget running in the background, so you can check the CPU's power consumption, temperature, and frequency.

In Prime95, go to the Options menu and choose "Torture Test". Press OK and let it run for some time. The test goes over some different configurations over a period of several minutes. If after say 15min you have no crashes, then you can stop the test (in the Test menu) and try Geekbench. Geekbench CPU test only lasts a few minutes. If you system passes both tests (10-15 min of Prime95 and the CPU test in Geekbench), then you might consider a full torture test of Prime95. In my case it lasted for about 8 hours (I let it run during the night).

If your system crashes during one of these tests, then consider booting into the UEFI and changing the Core Voltage. Set it at 1.2V, reboot and redo the tests again. Keep lowering the voltage until they fail, and use the last known good voltage to do the full Prime95 torture test. In my case, the system is stable at stock speed with 1.12V core voltage.

I was able even to do a very minimal overclocking to 4.4GHz with core voltage at 1.21V. The system is fine.
I find GA X299 ud4 PRO,gaming3 ,gaming9, cause random reboots, under Mac OS ,my x299 ud4 pro work great under windows 10,but the Mac os the pc will cause random reboots,I must have to fix the core voltage of the CPU in the BIOS. then Mac os will be work good

I had no problems with the BIOS update on my setup, normal boot...of course I forgot to save new configuration with new processor to USB, so had to re-enter all the BIOS settings again....I also have AMD Vega. My multi-core Geekbench score is up about 20% after BIOS update, can't explain that readily based on the info ASUS published. I wouldn't exclude the possibility that I had a mistake in my previous BIOS settings as the root cause of that.

I had no problems with the BIOS update on my setup, normal boot...of course I forgot to save new configuration with new processor to USB, so had to re-enter all the BIOS settings again....I also have AMD Vega. My multi-core Geekbench score is up about 20% after BIOS update, can't explain that readily based on the info ASUS published. I wouldn't exclude the possibility that I had a mistake in my previous BIOS settings as the root cause of that.

You have to reconfigure the BIOS after each BIOS update anyway. Settings cannot be restored within different BIOS versions! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back