Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't remember which one of you had the issues with the USB sound card but I did some tests with two USB sound cards.

So, as you all now, I test every USB device using Rember ;) and by the way: Neither am i bombing my ports while running this tool nor am I running any memory extensive applications.

Test setup: watching a simple video with a stereo sound stream. My third Christmas recorded by my father. 1989. PAL.

1. Test: USB Compliant Sound Card (Behringer UCA202, doesn't need driver)
Video paused: Rember OK Video Playing: Rember Fails
2. Test: Motu MicroBook I (needs driver)
Video paused: Rember OK Video Playing: Rember Fails
3. Test: Built in SoundCard (AppleALC)
Video paused: Rember OK Video playing: Rember OK

At the moment im trying to figure out what causes the memory allocation error with certain USB devices. Maybe some of you have an idea where I could look at? My first idea was to look for certain patterns in IORegistryExplorer.

For those of you being new here: There are some hints that certain USB devices cause errors while being simply attached or used. At the moment it seems to be a X299 exclusive problem as the same tests do not fail on older platforms but happen on different X299 motherboards, doesn't matter if Asus Gigabyte MSI etc... Tests also turn out the same with different Aptio Fixes.
Also certain card readers make Rember fail, even while not being used.

However, this is not an attack against you KGP. Your guide is a big help for many users. This thread has just the highest agglomeration of X299 users. Im highly motivated to find the issue but as long I can not point directly on it, developers won't look at it which is totally understandable. I will keep you updated with my findings, if any of you have any ideas, please share. In comparison to my predecessor on page 100 of this thread, im not running any heavy applications while doing my tests. Attaching those devices is mostly enough to make Rember fail. In the case of the soundcard, it simply fails while its doing what its mean for: playing sound.

As stated before at boot I'm confronted with this possible boot options... How is the "showed graphic" (missing immage from HDD) to correct?
Any suggestions?
IMG_3055.JPG
IMG_9367.JPG
IMG_5534.JPG
IMG_8039.JPG

Any suggestions?
I think its a clover bug at the moment. I have this too with my NVME drive. So either you wait, or you just setup a standard boot drive in clover and skip the clover GUI. That way you come much faster to our all beloved Boot apple... ;) However, you can enter clover GUI by pressing any key while the boot loader is being loaded.

Edit: You could try to change the theme. Maybe this theme in particular doesn't have an icon for NVME drives.

Edit 2: Try to be bit more efficient / careful when uploading many screenshot. Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi, to all, I herewith confirm that thank's to the guide and gentle help from KGP and his EFI 13.1 01112017 also Gigabyte X299 Aorus game 9 is one successful build on MacOs 13.1View attachment 292833 View attachment 292834 View attachment 292835 View attachment 292836 View attachment 292837 View attachment 292838 View attachment 292833 View attachment 292834 View attachment 292835 View attachment 292836 View attachment 292837 View attachment 292838 View attachment 292841 View attachment 292843 .
The system is perfectly stable, Audio (through Displayport on my monitors), Ethernet, Wifi, Bluetooth and TB3 works perfectly. Icloud and airdrop tested and functional.
I also installed one Parallels desktop pro 13 VM with windows pro64 and runned Altium Designer 18 (electronic cad) with one big PCB without any problem or stabilty issue.
All USB ports works, albeit having tested the speed with Blackmagic Disk speed test, it is not top notch.
Here attached the benchmarks I have done, the numbers are not great, but I can live with them.
Most important had basically only to follow the instruction from KGP o this post and all worked oob without big hassle.
I still do not understand why the i7940x is running at 3.1GHz and does not reach the 4.4GHZ it should run, and why the memory is quoted @ 2133MHz and not 3200MHz as it should be...
One more remark Bluethoot works natively in my motherboard, but I had to buy TPLink Archer T9E to have native support for wifi.
I'll not post the EFI (unless you specifically ask for), because as stated before I used the "vanilla" KGP EFI 13.1 01112017, I added only the modified VoodooTSCSync.kext according to his guide modified for i9-7940x processor; and modified the plist according the procedure described as an "idiot guide..." in point 4 c) for SMUUID and SMBIOS modification.
Only one caveat at boot I see int Clover some "garbage" (see the attached screens), that will need to be "polished", and for this I'll appreciate some help.
If someone needs the BIOS setup information, just ask and I'll post also the photos, but there is nothing special KGP allready indicated at the beginning of this Guide the correct one to use.

Hmm you should have 5400-5700 single core Geekbench performance score and 43-45000 Multi score so
it's great to hear about great stability but that performance :/ .. we have to find some solution...
I will put my 7900x on the old X299 Aorus Ultra Gaming MB and I'm very interested which performance I will have...
Today and tomorrow I will make a lot of test so maybe I will try some solution for you too... :)

As stated before at boot I'm confronted with this possible boot options... How is the "showed graphic" (missing immage from HDD) to correct?
Any suggestions?...
I think its a clover bug at the moment. I have this too with my NVME drive. So either you wait, or you just setup a standard boot drive in clover and skip the clover GUI. That way you come much faster to our all beloved Boot apple... ;) However, you can enter clover GUI by pressing any key while the boot loader is being loaded.
Edit: You could try to change the theme. Maybe this theme in particular doesn't have an icon for NVME drives.

I have the same bug with my NVME 960 Samsung, all different HDD/SSD are OK, it's not so important for me, but...
if you find some solution - you can share it :p :D

Hi, to all, I herewith confirm that thank's to the guide and gentle help from KGP and his EFI 13.1 01112017 also Gigabyte X299 Aorus game 9 is one successful build on MacOs 13.1View attachment 292833 View attachment 292834 View attachment 292835 View attachment 292836 View attachment 292837 View attachment 292838 View attachment 292833 View attachment 292834 View attachment 292835 View attachment 292836 View attachment 292837 View attachment 292838 View attachment 292841 View attachment 292843 .
The system is perfectly stable, Audio (through Displayport on my monitors), Ethernet, Wifi, Bluetooth and TB3 works perfectly. Icloud and airdrop tested and functional.
I also installed one Parallels desktop pro 13 VM with windows pro64 and runned Altium Designer 18 (electronic cad) with one big PCB without any problem or stabilty issue.
All USB ports works, albeit having tested the speed with Blackmagic Disk speed test, it is not top notch.
Here attached the benchmarks I have done, the numbers are not great, but I can live with them.
Most important had basically only to follow the instruction from KGP o this post and all worked oob without big hassle.
I still do not understand why the i7940x is running at 3.1GHz and does not reach the 4.4GHZ it should run, and why the memory is quoted @ 2133MHz and not 3200MHz as it should be...
One more remark Bluethoot works natively in my motherboard, but I had to buy TPLink Archer T9E to have native support for wifi.
I'll not post the EFI (unless you specifically ask for), because as stated before I used the "vanilla" KGP EFI 13.1 01112017, I added only the modified VoodooTSCSync.kext according to his guide modified for i9-7940x processor; and modified the plist according the procedure described as an "idiot guide..." in point 4 c) for SMUUID and SMBIOS modification.
Only one caveat at boot I see int Clover some "garbage" (see the attached screens), that will need to be "polished", and for this I'll appreciate some help.
If someone needs the BIOS setup information, just ask and I'll post also the photos, but there is nothing special KGP allready indicated at the beginning of this Guide the correct one to use.

XCPM CPU performance looks terrible.. something goes wrong..

All work ok , I hope to get the turbo and fix the internal USB 3.0 with the KGP manual.
I'm going to try to make some screens to the BIOS
mgregrs thanks for you help.

Few little differences with your cfg and mine:
1) I never used Scan / and your selected options, but it's depend of your choice and cfg :p
Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 19.29.17.png
2) I don't need anymore AppleRTC, KernelPM checked etc..
Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 19.29.50.png
3) No caches - I never used before, and NvidiaWeb is not for me because I have AMD card :)
Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 19.30.24.png

and about my bios differences:

1st screen: CPU Core Ratio: Sync All Cores

Last screen: I have: Intel® VT for Directed I/O (VT-d) [Enabled]

:)

PS: Have you and Do you use TB3 card?

1) I never used Scan / and your selected options, but it's depend of your choice and cfg :p
View attachment 292867
View attachment 292870
3) No caches - I never used before, and NvidiaWeb is not for me because I have AMD card :)
View attachment 292871

I no use TB card

ok change , unckeck appleRTC and Nocaches

Scan Entries is for see hdds and select windows or mac ( in ssd diferents ) ... once I deactivated them and did not show me any disc .. I really do not know which option is what caused it.

View attachment 292867
View attachment 292870
View attachment 292871

change 2 options in clover and sync all cores with Asus enhanced in auto and no reboot for the moment , wow , bench and no reboot , temp 60-61ºc in load max ( is ok the temp ?)

Attachments

• 23698592_1521834507908298_1176130138_o.png
    23698592_1521834507908298_1176130138_o.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 135
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back