Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @kgp! After 3 days no kernel panic! I hope not to talk too soon though :shh:

There is only one thing that does not convince me...
When working with Logic pro X I often get the famous "System Overload" error.
With Cubase instead, Average Audio-Processing Load random spikes, and audio skips.

This often happens lately, and suspicious, I checked with Intel Power Gadget. Note that the CPU frequency (i7 8700K @ 4.8Ghz) has continuous spikes, and this could be the cause of some problems during the work.
View attachment 372951

This can be seen from the Istat Menu bars, even if it does not show last hour statistics, but only from 24 hours onwards.
View attachment 372953

Currently I use "PluginType" in Clover for Power Management, and running the tests everything is up and running.
What do you think about it?

I do not see anything suspicious in your results. For Logix X choose adequate buffer size? I am neither expert in Logic X nor Cubase, sorry.

Intel Speedshift and Hyperthreading enabled? EIST disabled?

Last edited:
I do not see anything suspicious in your results. For Logix X choose adequate buffer size? I am neither expert in Logic X nor Cubase, sorry.
The problem is with all the buffer sizes, unfortunately.
If I restart the computer the problem seems to disappear or at least for a while.

But is it normal for the idle CPU to have all these spikes? Some reach the 4.8Ghz

Intel Speedshift and Hyperthreading enabled? EIST disabled?
Now check, but I do not know if the Gigabyte MB has all these settings

But is it normal for the idle CPU to have all these spikes? Some reach the 4.8Ghz.

I am sure that stronger spikes vanish when you give your CPU time to settle to IDLE after system boot or after running applications..

Anyway.. please check and confirm BIOS CPU power management settings suggested above.

hi guys
i have issue with my hack (it recognized only 16 of 32 gb of ram) so I just updated bios version to 1604 (latest) on my x299-a
the issue is that now my usb are not working.
on windows they work.
is it possible that the new bios corrupted my USB Configuration on Mac OS?

Try reverting to the older 15xx BIOS. My TUF1 board with BIOS 1602 is not compatible, no USB on OSx. After reverted back to 1503 and zap the 2 pins for default, following the steps to the 'T', the installation went smoothly. I think my posts were in pg 1160.

Good luck!

Try reverting to the older 15xx BIOS. My TUF1 board with BIOS 1602 is not compatible, no USB on OSx. After reverted back to 1503 and zap the 2 pins for default, following the steps to the 'T', the installation went smoothly. I think my posts were in pg 1160.

Good luck!
I tried 15xx and 16xx... no way to let usb work! Reverted to 1401 and it’s ok. Any explanation?

I tried 15xx and 16xx... no way to let usb work! Reverted to 1401 and it’s ok. Any explanation?

There have never been issues with 1503! Also not USB related! Perform a CMOS reset, in case you have not been successful with 1603 and reflash 1503 subsequently. Everything should work as expected using BIOS firmware 1503!

I am sure that stronger spikes vanish when you give your CPU time to settle to IDLE after system boot or after running applications..

Anyway.. please check and confirm BIOS CPU power management settings suggested above.
I used the settings you suggested, before they were set to auto.
The CPU is in IDLE for one hour, with no open applications, but the frequency never drops to 1 Ghz. Continue to have spikes
IPG.png

I used the settings you suggested, before they were set to auto.
The CPU is in IDLE for one hour, with no open applications, but the frequency never drops to 1 Ghz. Continue to have spikes
View attachment 373134

Well try to perform a cmos and nvram reset. Anyway, looking to your CPU power consumption, CPU temps and CPU utilization everything looks fine also under Idle and the entire discussion obsolete or at least without significance. Don’t get sticked to the frequencies displayed by IPG. It is totally unclear how they are calculated and what they actually represent. Remember that you use more than one core of your CPU. A simple explanation of your current IPG frequency behaviour could be that you do not use the ASUS Sync All Cores BIOS feature, which does not exist on GB mobos. You can generate a similar CPU setting also on GB mainboards, however I really do not want to rewarm something that has been extensively discussed along this thread nearly one year ago. Just read the respective posts.

Good luck,

KGP

Well try to perform a cmos and nvram reset. Anyway, looking to your CPU power consumption, CPU temps and CPU utilization everything looks fine also under Idle and the entire discussion obsolete or at least without significance. Don’t get sticked to the frequencies displayed by IPG. It is totally unclear how they are calculated and what they actually represent. Remember that you use more than one core of your CPU. A simple explanation of your current IPG frequency behaviour could be that you do not use the ASUS Sync All Cores BIOS feature, which does not exist on GB mobos. You can generate a similar CPU setting also on GB mainboards, however I really do not want to rewarm something that has been extensively discussed along this thread nearly one year ago. Just read the respective posts.

Good luck,

KGP
Do not worry, I tried to look in the threads, but I did not find solutions.
Until recently this did not happen, perhaps, the problem is the latest sycurity update of HS (17G4015).

The last time I forgot to ask you: the FakeSMC you sent me, where do they come from? That version is not there in the official repository :)

Do not worry, I tried to look in the threads, but I did not find solutions.
Until recently this did not happen, perhaps, the problem is the latest sycurity update of HS (17G4015).

The last time I forgot to ask you: the FakeSMC you sent me, where do they come from? That version is not there in the official repository :)

1.) Just search along this thread, however the posts are Skylake-X and X299 related and date back several months. I don't think that the "peaks" are macOS dependent. Maybe you rather recently changed something in your CPU BIOS settings? You anyway have to simulate the ASUS only "Sync All Cores" BIOS feature on your GB mobo, to get a smoother IPG frequency behaviour. As your CPU power consumption and CPU utilisation in IDLE is practically zero and also all CPU temps are as expected, I would not worry too much about something that seems rather cosmetic.

2.) The FakeSMC and HWSensor distribution is the one of Kozlek after my own modifications to also display CPU core Frequencies and CPU core Multiplier values for all cores with iStatMenus. I am currently also fixing the erroneous GPU Temp sensor values for some of the Vegas. Users facing this latter issue should provide their Vega Device-ID, which likely yet has not been considered in the current coding. The resulting FakeSMC and HWSensor distribution is actually also hardwired in my current EFI-Folder distributions.

Cheers,

KGP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back