Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@TheOfficialGypsy ,

I reached full forced system sleep/wake functionality with the ThunderboltEx 3 PCIe Adapter and without your SSDT-X299.aml but by considering the following settings:

-----

Application of full ACPI Table but disabling the PC0x -> PCIx DSDT Replacement patches for unpopulated PCIe slots, thus with respect to the PC0x -> PCIx replacements, just enabling:

Code:
Comment:            Find*[Hex]     Replace [Hex]
PC00 -> PCI0        50433030       50434930
PC02 -> PCI2        50433032       50434932
PC03 -> PCI3        50433033       50434933

----

BIOS Settings:

/Advanced/Platform Misc Configuration/

a.) PCI Express Native Power Management: Enabled
b.) Native ASPM: Enabled
c.) PCH DMI ASPM: Enabled
d.) ASPM: L1
e.) DMI Link ASPM Control: L1
f.) PEG - ASMP: ASPM L1​

/Advanced/ Thunderbolt(TM) Configuration/

Code:
TBT Root por Selector                               PCIE16_3
Thunderbolt USB Support                             Enabled
Thunderbolt Boot Support                            Enabled
Wake From Thunderbolt(TM Devices)                   Off
Thunderbolt(TM) PCIe Cache-line Size                128
GPIO3 Force Pwr                                     On
Wait time in ms after applying Force Pwr            200
Skip PCI OptionRom                                  Enabled
Security Level                                      SL1-No Security
Reserve mem per phy slot                            32
Reserve P mem per phy slot                          32
Reserve IO per phy slot                             20
Delay before SX Exit                                300
GPIO Filter                                         Enabled
Enable CLK REQ                                      Disabled
Enable ASPM                                         Enabled
Enable LTR                                          Disabled
Extra Bus Reserved                                  65
Reserved Memory                                     386
Memory Alignment                                    26
Reserved PMemory                                    960
PMemory Alignment                                   28
Reserved I/O                                        0
Alpine Ridge XHCI WA                                Disabled

/Boot/

Code:
Above 4G Decoding              On

-----

With the Lacie Thunderbolt HDD connected, the system sleeps after 1:30 min when applying forced sleep and returns without any noticeable delay on "bC" instead of "30" after performing a forced wake by mouse or keyboard.

So far, no sudden wakes from sleep or sudden reboots during sleep. Everything seems to work as expected.

Can you give it a try? If you can confirm successful system sleep/wake functionality, we should see about the system sleep/wake behaviour when implementing your actual SSDT-X299.aml.

Hope to receive your response as soon as possible...

Cheers,

KGP
I tried this, enabling all the APCI patches except for PCI slots not being used (IOReg to find) and not using the aml. I also set the BIOS settings to as above, but I still can't get my system to sleep. Hit forced sleep and screens turn off, but fans keep running & power draw from the wall is same as when idle. Is there anything else I need to do ?

Thanks

I tried this, enabling all the APCI patches except for PCI slots not being used (IOReg to find) and not using the aml. I also set the BIOS settings to as above, but I still can't get my system to sleep. Hit forced sleep and screens turn off, but fans keep running & power draw from the wall is same as when idle. Is there anything else I need to do ?

Thanks

Did you verify with IOREG, that you you use the correct replacement patches for your mainboard and build? See post #802, E.10.1)!

Also note, that the entire approach is still under @TheOfficialGypsy 's and my investigation and has not been officially released yet! Thus, please note that if you already try to implement what we are discussing and exchanging above, you do the latter a your own risk!

Did you verify with IOREG, that you you use the correct replacement patches for your mainboard and build? See post #802, E.10.1)!

Also note, that the entire approach is still under @TheOfficialGypsy 's and my investigation and has not been officially released yet! Thus, please note that if you already try to implement what we are discussing and exchanging above, you do the latter a your own risk!
Thanks for the reply.

Yes I used IOreg to confirm the patches, I have multi NVME, RAID card etc & checked all PCI slots to see what was in use and not. I am also using the same motherboard as you.

I understand the risk and will not put blame on anyone except myself if I break something :) I have multi backups of both Sierra and High Sierra, so can normally fix a change that went bad. Am happy to also help beta test things

I would love to get sleep working & then everything is perfect.

I really appreciate what you have done with this guide and also others contributions like @TheOfficialGypsy 's. This is turning into a very nice hackintosh !! I think when they release the update for iMac Pro - we are really going to be happy.

Thanks again !

Reactions: kgp
I seem to be stuck at the first hurdle on this one.

I have prepared the USB stick as described and have an SSD in the machine on the first SATA controller, formatted HFS+ as described, but after booting from the USB clover appears, showing just the one device to boot from. I press enter and get a black screen. The monitor doesn't go to sleep but there is no display.
I have tried a different USB stick with an indicator light on it, and the light flashes as if data is transferring all the time I have the black screen, but having left it for around 20 minutes with nothing else happening I get the impression something is wrong!

I have the ASUS X299 Deluxe Motherboard - BIOS configured as described, apart from I cannot find the following setting:
/Advanced/CPU Configuration/CPU Power Management Configuration/MFC Mode Override : OS Native
The option just does not appear to be there.

My processor is an i9-7960X

I have an OCX SSD drive on SATA port 1, which is detected by the BIOS OK.

I am using an Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 from my previous build though as I couldn't afford a new 1080 yet! Could this be my problem?

Any help to get this up and running would be really appreciated.

Rob

I seem to be stuck at the first hurdle on this one.

I have prepared the USB stick as described and have an SSD in the machine on the first SATA controller, formatted HFS+ as described, but after booting from the USB clover appears, showing just the one device to boot from. I press enter and get a black screen. The monitor doesn't go to sleep but there is no display.
I have tried a different USB stick with an indicator light on it, and the light flashes as if data is transferring all the time I have the black screen, but having left it for around 20 minutes with nothing else happening I get the impression something is wrong!

I have the ASUS X299 Deluxe Motherboard - BIOS configured as described, apart from I cannot find the following setting:
/Advanced/CPU Configuration/CPU Power Management Configuration/MFC Mode Override : OS Native
The option just does not appear to be there.

My processor is an i9-7960X

I have an OCX SSD drive on SATA port 1, which is detected by the BIOS OK.

I am using an Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 from my previous build though as I couldn't afford a new 1080 yet! Could this be my problem?

Any help to get this up and running would be really appreciated.

Rob

Do your macOS USB Flash Drive Installer and System Disk do have EFI-Folders in their EFI-partitions at all?

Do your macOS USB Flash Drive Installer and System Disk do have EFI-Folders in their EFI-partitions at all?
Yes - I appear to have everything on there twice - I have just found that. I have mounted the EFI Partition, but in that I also have an EFI folder too. How have I done that!?

Yes - I appear to have everything on there twice - I have just found that. I have mounted the EFI Partition, but in that I also have an EFI folder too. How have I done that!?

:lol: of you don't know...;)

Please carefully read my guide!

:lol: of you don't know...;)

Please carefully read my guide!
Yes - thank you for the help. I have cleared both drives and started again. Also been through all of my BIOS settings once more just in case I made any mistakes there. I am getting much further now, but with verbose on, it stops after a hardware exception.

Attachments

• IMG_8713.JPG
    IMG_8713.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 139
Yes - thank you for the help. I have cleared both drives and started again. Also been through all of my BIOS settings once more just in case I made any mistakes there. I am getting much further now, but with verbose on, it stops after a hardware exception.

What about VoodooTSCSync? Please, I told you carefully read my guide. It is impossible to do the latter in 5 min!

What about VoodooTSCSync? Please, I told you carefully read my guide. It is impossible to do the latter in 5 min!
I have the 7960X CPU so I have changed the <key>IOCPUNumber</key> to 31 which I think is correct as that CPU has 32 threads, the file is in the CLOVER/kexts/other folder on the SSD and the USB.
I am not super quick by the way, I had already found my EFI folder issue and had started rebuilding the media before I saw your first reply. You are right, it takes more than five minutes!

Am I right in thinking though, that is is correct that there is a folder called EFI in the EFI partition? I had everything in the root folder to begin with, but now I have an EFI folder with CLOVER and BOOT in that?

I think the problem maybe that I am doing the SSD part wrong somehow, but I cannot work out what I am doing wrong.

I have the SSD drive in a USB adaptor and have formatted it using 'diskutil eraseDisk JHFS+ SSD /dev/disk2' from my MAC laptop as I did with the USB, but when I come to run clover and choose the SSD as the destination the options are different to when preparing my USB.

It allows me to select Install for UEFI booting only and Install Clover in the ESP, the relevant drivers and the theme OK, but Install RC Scripts on the target volume is greyed out. It says the target volume must be a bootable OSX system volume.
I have continued anyway, and the SSD does seem to boot if I choose it as a boot device, but I am now stuck at:

OsxAptioFix2Drv: Starting overrides for \.IABootFiles\boot.efi
Using relic block: no, hibernate wake: no
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back