Contribute
Register

How to boot with Clover UEFI instead of 'windows boot manager'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
[Resolved] How to boot with Clover UEFI instead of 'windows boot manager'?

(I am not sure why editing a post will break all text format in Chrome, oh, my god. And I can't insert my newly uploaded screenshots. I had to try to use Microsoft Edge to edit the post. It can work)

This is the disks' information of my computer.
disk_en.jpg

Currently, I am using disk 0. Now I want to use disk 2, and have installed a new windows and mac OSX Yosemite in it.

Firstly, I installed OSX Yosemite and Clover, it can work fine when I choose UEFI boot from disk 2 in boot menu.

Then, I used a UEFI GPT USB windows 10 iso to install a windows 10 Pro. A new menu item "windows boot manager" occurred in both my motherboard bios and boot menu. And the menu item like "UEFI: disk 2..." disappeared.
Now, I can only boot into the newly installed windows Pro if I chose disk 2 in boot menu (press F12 when starting computer), I can never enter my Clover option and Yosemite.
But the EFI partition in disk 2 is still there and the Colver and Mac boot files exist. I just want to boot to Clover menu and choose "windows" or "Mac OSX".

Can anybody help me? how can I get my clover boot option back? thx a lot.

My computer hardware:
Intel i5 3470
Giga Z77m-d3h
16GB memory
Crucial 2 SSDs + 2 HDDs
ASUS GTX 960

Boot menu when starting screenshot:
Boot_menu.jpg

Boot option in bios:
Bios_boot_option.jpg

DISKPART> select disk 2
Disk 2 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> list part
Partition ### Type Size Offset
------------- ---------------- ------- -------
Partition 1 Reserved 128 MB 17 KB
Partition 2 System 300 MB 129 MB
Partition 3 Primary 378 GB 429 MB
Partition 4 Unknown 67 GB 379 GB
Partition 5 Unknown 619 MB 446 GB

assign letter of part 2 to X:

X:\>cd efi

X:\EFI>dir
Volume in drive X has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 7A4F-13AC

Directory of X:\EFI

12/14/2014 07:11 AM <DIR> .
12/13/2014 02:31 PM <DIR> ..
10/10/2014 01:08 PM <DIR> CLOVER
12/14/2014 07:11 AM <DIR> APPLE
12/19/2015 12:28 PM <DIR> Microsoft
12/26/2015 01:45 PM <DIR> BOOT
0 File(s) 0 bytes
6 Dir(s) 245,334,016 bytes free

10/26 Updates more information I investigated:

1. I can get back my clover boot option by "refresh BIOS of motherboard", after restarting machine, and press F12, I can see UEFI: crucial_ct480. If I selected this option, I can see the clover.
refresh_bios.jpg

2. when I saw the clover again, I had 2 choices, win or osx
clover.jpg

if I choose osx, I can enter Yosemite successfully (for many times)
if I choose win, I can also enter win10 successfully. (and at this time, it will fix the windows boot manager and add to bios again)
clover_mac.jpgclover_win10.jpg

Then when I rebooted machine, the F12 menu item had been changed. A "windows boot manager" was added, and "UEFI: cruical_ct480" disappeared.
Boot_menu.jpg

If I choose "windows boot manager", I will enter newly win10,
if I choose "P4: crucial_ct480", it will *NOT* enter clover, it will fail and then enter old win10 system.

I can't understand why the "windows boot manager" will "kill" clover. I must refresh bios to get anything back. but I don't want to refresh bios again.

Last edited:
I can't find the root cause, but I resolved this problem by moving folder "{EFI drive}\EFI\Microsoft" to "{my newly installed win10 drive}\EFI\Microsoft".

Normally, there is no folder named EFI under your windows 10 system drive. Please create one, and move the Microsoft folder.

Then, when I boot my machine, "windows boot manager" disappear and the Clover is shown. There are 2 options, one is windows 10 and the other is Yosemite. Selecting either can work fine.

Hope my experience could help you guys.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back