Graphics
GTX 980 (Gigabyte)
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi, I am looking into making my pc into a dual boot system. I am just wondering if you could give my pc a quick look to see if it is plausible.

Unfortunately I built this computer with raw windows power in mind, and not dual boot power... I fear some of the parts may make things very difficult to work with.

Also I realize that ElCapitan is pretty new, and perhaps the geniuses haven't figured out all the workarounds to produce a stable build yet. Perhaps I should go for yoesmite? Or is this good? Are any of the parts on my build more compatible in el capitan then they were in yosemite?

Anyway here are the details, hopefully everything you need to know is here:
Graphics Card: GTX 980 (Gigabyte)
CPU: Intel i7 5820k (haswell)
Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI Plus (MSI X99S chipset)
Wifi: AR93xx Wireless Adapter (Qualocum atheros) (Rosewill N900PCE)
Ram: Crucial DDR4-2133

I realize that my graphics card might be a huge issue. However I do have open slots on my motherboard. Would it perhaps be possible to have my PC graphics car in one of the slots, and my Mac one in another? or is that too complicated/not worth it?

Thankyou so much!

Only thing I see that may not work is the WiFi card. Everything else is possible using Clover for boot loader. OSXAptioFix may give you some boot problems. The GPU will need the nVidia Alternate web drivers using nv_disable=1 boot-arg to boot/install then use nvda_drv=1 boot-arg once OS X installed and the web drivers installed.

Only thing I see that may not work is the WiFi card. Everything else is possible using Clover for boot loader. OSXAptioFix may give you some boot problems. The GPU will need the nVidia Alternate web drivers using nv_disable=1 boot-arg to boot/install then use nvda_drv=1 boot-arg once OS X installed and the web drivers installed.
Ok so two follow up questons:
1. Considering I have two internal hard drives, one I plan to use for hackintosh, one for windows. Does clover go on one of those? Or on a flashdrive?
2. How will I know if the wifi card isnt working? Will I just not have wifi or would their be certification issues?

Thanks so much this makes me happy!

Ok so two follow up questons:
1. Considering I have two internal hard drives, one I plan to use for hackintosh, one for windows. Does clover go on one of those? Or on a flashdrive?
2. How will I know if the wifi card isnt working? Will I just not have wifi or would their be certification issues?

Thanks so much this makes me happy!

Have you already installed Windows? Did you install it Legacy mode or UEFI mode? Makes a difference in how you install Clover.

For the Windows drive, just disconnect it from the board while installing OS X and Clover boot loader.
Once you have OS X working and booting from HDD, shutdown, reconnect the Windows drive, boot to BIOS and set the OS X drive first in BBS boot order.

Yes I allready have Windows installed. I followed a tutorial that lead me to find this line of text (I couldnt find it in my bios, but in a text file in Windows/Panther.
2015-04-08 06:25:09, Info IBS Callback_BootEnvironmentDetect: Detected boot environment: BIOS
So I think I am in BIOS. How does this change things, Does this make things harder?

I could easily upgrade my windows from windows 8.1 to windows 10 if necessary. Would this allow me to change the settings?

Anyway I have been searching and I found some threads that seem to have similar builds, One in particular offers a really nice tutorial and their build is not too far off mine. So as soon as I know if BIOS mode is ok I shall begin following it.

With Windows on a separate hard drive, yes it's technically possible (though you might be stuck using the BIOS boot menu to select an OS). However, as long as you're interested in going to Windows 10, might as well make it a fresh install on a GPT disk, so you can switch to UEFI. It will make your dual boot setup much easier.

If you have your Windows 8.1 product key, you can install a Windows 10 trial, then update it to the 1511 release, and after the update it will accept that product key, from the older Windows version, for activation. I did this recently. Just make sure to download the OEM or retail image of Windows 10, depending on whether your current product key is for OEM or retail Windows.

Edited to add: Oh, and if you don't know your current product key: use ProduKey - great little utility!

With Windows on a separate hard drive, yes it's technically possible (though you might be stuck using the BIOS boot menu to select an OS). However, as long as you're interested in going to Windows 10, might as well make it a fresh install on a GPT disk, so you can switch to UEFI. It will make your dual boot setup much easier.

If you have your Windows 8.1 product key, you can install a Windows 10 trial, then update it to the 1511 release, and after the update it will accept that product key, from the older Windows version, for activation. I did this recently. Just make sure to download the OEM or retail image of Windows 10, depending on whether your current product key is for OEM or retail Windows.

Edited to add: Oh, and if you don't know your current product key: use ProduKey - great little utility!
Ok so as I understand this....
Before everything: Get mac loaded onto the other SSD, and ignore setting up dual booting for now. Once that is working move on to windows.
1. Backup programs and files from windows 8 I want to have move over. Do this onto an external hard drive.
2. Clear the drive. The new partition should be GPT.
3. Create a flash-drive with the windows 10 boot loader
4. On the windows boot-loader it will accept my windows 8.1 key
5. Update windows 10 to a later version?
6. Windows 10 will now accept my 8.1 key and give me the full upgrade.
7. Reinstall programs and files moved over from the old system.
8. Now when the BIOS opens up my hackintosh SSD it will see clover, and clover will see and be able to boot into either my hackintosh, or Windows 10 on separate drive.

Missing anything? How do I make sure I have formatted the drive properly for it to be Legacy mode, and GPT?

I currently have a HDD that I just store data on but no os' ... is this a problem? Or does that not need to be reformatted?

My hackintosh is off to a bad start. I have made a thread for getting help specefically with that here.

Ok so as I understand this....
Before everything: Get mac loaded onto the other SSD, and ignore setting up dual booting for now. Once that is working move on to windows.
1. Backup programs and files from windows 8 I want to have move over. Do this onto an external hard drive.
2. Clear the drive. The new partition should be GPT.
3. Create a flash-drive with the windows 10 boot loader
4. On the windows boot-loader it will accept my windows 8.1 key
5. Update windows 10 to a later version?
6. Windows 10 will now accept my 8.1 key and give me the full upgrade.
7. Reinstall programs and files moved over from the old system.
8. Now when the BIOS opens up my hackintosh SSD it will see clover, and clover will see and be able to boot into either my hackintosh, or Windows 10 on separate drive.

Missing anything? How do I make sure I have formatted the drive properly for it to be Legacy mode, and GPT?

I currently have a HDD that I just store data on but no os' ... is this a problem? Or does that not need to be reformatted?

2. You can do this later when you're in the Windows installer. To answer your question how to ensure GPT, make sure that you boot the Windows installer in UEFI and it will do the right thing.

4-6. You install (can skip the key), then update, then activate with W8.1 key.

8. Yes! But technically, not BIOS anymore, you will have two EFI bootable drives, one of which has the ability to load the other from a menu. (On legacy systems, this was called chain loading. Not sure if that's still what it is with UEFI, but you get the idea.)

And yeah you can leave your data-only drive alone.

Good luck with the hack side. kduvernay posted some good advice for you -- and I tend to setup Clover manually as was suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back