CPU
i7-7700K - 5Ghz
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I wonder why Nvidia is still providing drivers for OS X.
It is great and I hope they will continue to do so but Apple is not using any of the cards (if I'm correct).
Hacintosh users are a small group, Mac Pro's are not suitable for the new cards because the other hardware is the bottleneck on those machines. A fast card won't do much.

So, why do they continue to update there drivers for such a small market?
To be ready for the day that Apple is switching to Nvidia?

I wonder why Nvidia is still providing drivers for OS X.
It is great and I hope they will continue to do so but Apple is not using any of the cards (if I'm correct).
Hacintosh users are a small group, Mac Pro's are not suitable for the new cards because the other hardware is the bottleneck on those machines. A fast card won't do much.

So, why do they continue to update there drivers for such a small market?
To be ready for the day that Apple is switching to Nvidia?

The rumors of a more modular Mac Pro gives me hope. Hopefully part of that design accommodates Nvidia options.

Who is actually developing these drivers?
I received an answer from NVIDIA but it is only confusing me more...
"Coming to GTX 1080 Ti - I'd like to inform you that it's not officially a MAC ready GPU henceforth the drivers aren't developed and released by NVIDIA for MAC platform. If you are still getting the compatible web drivers for this from Apple then it will purely from MAC and we can't really say for long they'll support this. Sorry for that."

Support knows almost nothing about the mac stuff, take nothing you get out of them with any authority. They'll just point at the published specs and give you some ********.

I mean, look at that answer. Not even aware there was an official announcement from Nvidia regarding Pascal drivers.

The answer to your original question is "no one knows" or "however long nvidia wants to"

Well, as long as they do update the drivers I'm happy :)
The answer from support was indeed terrible, sad for there colleagues working on the drivers...
My GTX 1080 Ti is performing very well and hope it will do for a few years to come...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back