Contribute
Register

How I got a RX 580 working on a Haswell (i5-4440) based system incl. dual 4K Monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon
CPU
i5-7600K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I was looking for a way to get a RX580 working on my Haswell based Intel Core i5-4440. Because I couldn't find a working tutorial/solution I startet playing around and found a solution that seems to work extremely well. I have 4 Years of experience with hackintoshing but I'm absolutely not an expert. I hope my solution can help other "normal Hackintoshers" and maybe the Experts can develop a better way to do this. So without further ado ...

TL:DR (too long; didn't read)
In case you don't want to read the whole Thread... That's what's working for me...
  • Intel iGPU (HD4600) + dGPU (RX 580) both are enabled and working together.
  • Final Cut X Pro (BruceX 5K Test) rendering time reduced from "1min. 28sec". to "0min. 22sec." (4x Faster)
  • Bruce 5K Export is clean (has no graphical artifact or other issues).
  • Triple Monitor Setup (2x 4K + 1x 1080p)
  • Two 4K Monitors (connected via DisplayPort) running in max. resolution @60hz & scaling options are working perfectly fine (connected via HDMI only worked with 4K@30hz and I had no proper scaling options. I didn't check the DVI Port because I don't need it)
  • A third 1080p Monitor (connected via HDMI) working perfectly fine as well
  • No rendering issues in Google Chrome
  • I'm able to watch trailers in iTunes without any problems
  • You can find the working Post-Install Configuration at "3.1"
1.0 - My Hardware Configuration:
  1. Intel Core i5-4440 "Haswell"
  2. Gigabyte Z87X-D3H
  3. MSI Radeon RX 580 ARMOR 8G OC (2x DisplayPorts + 2x HDMI)
  4. Samsung 850 EVO SSD
  1. Monitor No. 1: LG 27UD58-B (Ultra HD 4K IPS)
  2. Monitor No. 2: LG 27UD58-B (Ultra HD 4K IPS)
  3. Monitor No. 3: LG IPS234V-PN (1080p IPS)
1.1 - Software that I used (Install/Post-Install):
  • MacOS 10.13.5 High Sierra (from the AppStore)
  • UniBeast 8.3.2
  • MultiBeast 10.3.0
  • Clover Configurator 5.1.3.0
I did not use any other Kexts. (I played around with WhateverGreen.kext, Lilu.kext, IntelGraphicsFixup.kext, Shiki.kext and some other but nothing worked so I deleted everything.)

1.2 - Software that I used (Testing/Benchmarking):
  • Final Cut Pro X Trial (10.4.3) + BruceX 5K Test
  • Geekbench 4
  • Novabench 4.0.1
  • Unigine Heaven 4.0
  • Watching an iTunes Movie Trailer
2.0 - Bios Settings for Post-Installation

For the installation I followed the normal TonyMac recommendations. Because I wanted to use the iGPU in conjunction with my new RX 580 I made sure to have following Settings in my Bios:
  • Peripherals > Device Config > Intel Processor Graphic > [enable]
  • Peripherals > Device Config > Intel Processor Graphic Memory A > [128M]
  • Peripherals > Device Config > Initial Display Output > [PCIe 1 Slot]
3.0 - Method No. 1: Normal Post-Installation Steps [DID NOT WORK]

As usual I tried a post-installation with MultiBeast which did not work. I tried the settings that I always used before I bought the RX 580:
  • QuickStart > [UEFI Boot Mode]
  • Drivers > Audio > [ALC 892]
  • Drivers > Misc > [FakeSMC]
  • Drivers > Network > [Intel Mausi v2.4.0]
  • Drivers > USB > [7/8/9 Series USB Support]
  • Boot Loaders > [Clover UEFI Boot Mode]
  • Customize > System Definitions > [iMac 14,2]
This causes a lot of issues in the FCPX "BruceX 5K Test". It takes 10 seconds longer than without an installed RX 580 ("1 min. 38 sec"). And the exported video-file is completely useless do to major graphical artifacts. Google Chromes rendering does not work at all websites look like c**p and if I try to watch a trailer in iTunes the computer freezes immediately.
These settings do work if I disable the iGPU in the Bios. In this situation I'm still able to use my 3 monitors with max. resolution. But every export Final Cut X Pro, iMovie, Motion fails (they need QuickSync/h.264 encoding).

3.1 - Method No. 2: Post-Installation Steps [THIS FINALLY WORKED]

Almost by accident I noticed that my rendering-times decreased significantly when I booted into MacOS using my Install-USB-Stick. I also had no rendering issues in Google Chrome. So here is what I did next:

1. Mounted the EFI-Partition (of my High Sierra Installation SSD) via Clover Configurator and opened it in Finder
  2. Then I backuped the "EFI" Folder AND deleted the "EFI" Folder on my High Sierra EFI-Partition.
  3. I mounted the EFI-Partition from my "High Sierra USB-Installer" an copied its whole "EFI"-Folder to my High Sierra SSDs EFI-Partition.
Then I made sure that my that my Hackintosh is normally booting into MacOS. It worked. But sound wasn't working (and USB 3.0 probably not either). So I used Multibeast with these much reduced Settings:
  • Drivers > Audio > [ALC 892]
  • Drivers > Network > [Intel Mausi v2.4.0]
  • Drivers > USB > [7/8/9 Series USB Support]
[Optional] The following steps are optional and just for finishing purposes. Because I used the EFI-Folder from the USB-Installer I had to manually select the StartUp partition on every system boot up. But it easy to get rid of this inconvenience:
  • Mounted the EFI-Partition (of my High Sierra Installation SSD)
  • Then I opened the file "config.plist" in /EFI/CLOVER/ with Clover Configurator.
  • In Clover Configurator under "SECTION" go to "Boot":
    • (1) Set Timeout to "3"
    • (2) Uncheck "debug"
    • (3) Under "Default Boot Volume" simply type in the name of your main High Sierra Partition in my case it was "High Sierra" (without quotes).
It seems that Everything is working perfectly as I explained in the beginning at "TL:DR (too long; didn't read)".

4.0 - [For the Experts] There are some other things that I noticed

• In "3.0 - Method No. 1" the iGPU HDMI port on my Mainboard worked with my 1080p Monitor. In "3.1 - Method 3.1" HDMI on my Mainboard didn't work anymore, so I switch it to one of the 2 empty HDMI ports on my RX 580 - which worked. This could be an indicator for a certain setting?!
  • EFI-Folder Size: I compressed and backuped both EFI-Folders from (1) USB Installer (2) after I installed ist in "3.0 - Method No. 1" with MultiBeast.
    • (1) USB Installer is 3.4mb
    • (2) the other one has 17.5mb
  • I'm quite confident that both config.plist have a lot of different settings/values (but I hadn't had the time to compare them) [I added both config.plist files to this post so feel free to investigate]
  • I did a lot of benchmarks which I will publish in my next post
4.1 - Question
  • Can anyone tell me how I can monitor my GPUs Hardware?? (MultiBeasts HWMonitor won't even start on any of my systems)

Attachments

• from_method_3-1-usb-installer-mod_config.plist
    6.6 KB · Views: 291
  • from-method-3-0-mulitbeast-standard_config.plist
    6 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
-------------------------------------------------------------
Windows 10 (i5-4440 + RX580)

Geekbench 4: CPU Single-Core: 3632
Geekbench 4: CPU Multi-Core: 10489
Geekbench 4: Compute: 128944

Unigine Heaven 4.0 [1080p Ultra]
FPS: 100,6
Score: 2534
Min/Max: 9,1/200,2

MacOS 10.13.5 (i5-4440 + RX580)

Geekbench 4: CPU Single-Core: 3329
Geekbench 4: CPU Multi-Core: 9759
Geekbench 4: Compute: 126925

Unigine Heaven 4.0 [1080p Ultra]
FPS: 65,8
Score: 1657
Min/Max: 11.2 / 122.0

Novabench CPU: 487
Novabench GPU: 539
Novabench Metall-3D: 59 fps
Novabench Open-CL: 6193 GFLOPS

Last edited:
Thank you for your great and in depth post! I have a similar build with haswell and hope everything works fine!

Hello

I do have an Gigabyte Z87X UD3H with a Gigabyte RX 580 and I fail to get it running. Would you please share your EFI File so that I could get it running? Thanks a lot.

@BSerMann this Guide is based on macOS High Sierra. I would recommend using the current Version of macOS Mojave (currently 10.14.5), because macOS Mojave has a better out-of-the-box support for Radeon graphic cards. The Installation Process is also much smoother with UniBeast & Multibeast.

Before I write to much, where exactly is your problem? Can you login to macOS after the installation?

Hello actually I cannot. I have started with an ozmosis bios and a description from a german board.
But I failed to run it with the upgrade to 10.13.6. So i decided to use the originally bios from gigabyte and clover instead. But i never got that running. finally i decided that it might be due to my graphics card nvidia 1060 and decided to buy an amd 580 in the hope that it would run out of the box. but i did not get it running.

So I thought that someone might have my configuration. after all i bought the board as a recommadation for an hackintosh and found you via google...

anyhow. I just created an installer usb with mojave and unibeast. when i enter the installation i can see an apply without progress bar and then the screen turns black and the computer reboots which is rather frustraiting.

I be started with clover debug mode ... this is the last picture before the screen goes black and the computer reboots ...

Attachments

• 5D911B63-07F1-429F-B9D4-C307B17F28B7.jpeg
    5D911B63-07F1-429F-B9D4-C307B17F28B7.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 98
I be started with clover debug mode ... this is the last picture before the screen goes black and the computer reboots ...
Did you ever get your RX580 graphics card to work with your Z87X-UD3 motherboard?
I have the same setup and have successfully installed High Sierra, and can get jerky 1080P graphics via my Haswell i7 Intel HD4600 chip, but can't get my RX-580 card working at all.
Thanks for any help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back