Contribute
Register

How exactly is the performance of the on chip Intel 530 graphics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I originally planned for an i5 plus GT950 or equal card (a short and thin variant), but now thinking of going with an i7 and using on-board video.
Reason - my case is very tight (miniITX build). There's decent airflow from bottom to top (a cylindrical design much like the new Mac Pro), but the graphics card may block a lot of that airflow. I'm afraid I might smell burning Bakelite in the near future.
This build will be used mostly for graphics and CAD, with a few games, but nothing too modern. The graphics consist mostly of Pixelmator, gimp, and a little photoshop & illustrator on less than 1-gb files, while the CAD will consist of Cheif Architect with 1-2 gb or larger files. Everything seemed to run just fine on a GT600 series video card, though the CAD did slow things down about half of the time.
Also, should I go with 16-gb, or would 8-gb suffice (I don't know how much is dedicated to the onboard graphics chip).
Again, thank you for reading and replying. Timeah.

You could try HD530, but I think you'll buy a graphics card shortly thereafter. Your "graphics, CAD, a few games" will demand a graphics cards, IMO. Additionally, your trash can case is probably going to be your biggest problem with a graphics card and cooling. So, you should try the HD530 because, if you'll need a graphics card, you'll probably need a new case as well.

I recommend 16GB of memory as you'll requirements will need all the memory you can supply.

i just finished my build which is i7 6700k on 170 gaming 7 and with 32gb ram and ssd's.
i'm currently using the onboard/cpu graphics HD530 ( i preferred to wait for the 1070/80 drivers)
with dell p2715q 4K for both windows and hackintosh they hold full 4K res on 30mhz refresh rate.

i just finished my build which is i7 6700k on 170 gaming 7 and with 32gb ram and ssd's.
i'm currently using the onboard/cpu graphics HD530 ( i preferred to wait for the 1070/80 drivers)
with dell p2715q 4K for both windows and hackintosh they hold full 4K res on 30mhz refresh rate.
Are you using the "k" processor for the higher base clock and does this help the video in any way over a standard (non "k") processor? I would think the only thing boosting your graphics would be the very large amount of ram. Timeah.

i get the 30Hz on HDMI since for some reason the mac side can't see the dp so i stayed with the hdmi

update :)
you know what, you inspired me to go back and check it, and now its working on the DP on 60Hz :) - Thanks dude

Good to hear :thumbup:

Did you do anything to "fix" that ? Or what it just working ?

(I'm building my second hackintosh with 4K@60Hz on DP in mind so I'm gathering all the informations I can :D)

i get the 30Hz on HDMI since for some reason the mac side can't see the dp so i stayed with the hdmi

update :)
you know what, you inspired me to go back and check it, and now its working on the DP on 60Hz :) - Thanks dude

Hey I'm building a "Hack Mini" right now to drive a 4K display @60hz with the HD530... how is your setup doing? Any hiccups of any sort on any specific situation?

Hey I'm building a "Hack Mini" right now to drive a 4K display @60hz with the HD530... how is your setup doing? Any hiccups of any sort on any specific situation?

You cannot wake from sleep with HD 530.

i didn't have much time to set everything yet, i didn't build PC in the last few years so i'm learning as i go i didn't mess with OC and my Ram which is Trident Z ddr4 3200 and set on the board to the default 2133 far from the full potential :)
i basically i installed the dual OS's Windows 10 and El Capitan, and then i did some post-installation basics.
so far everything was smooth, even my Logitech wireless keyboard and Bluetooth sound bar.

macarelo, FLKone: during installation the mDp didn't work so i remembered that i read somewhere to use HDMI until you do the post installation.

ichris93: yep no waking up form sleeping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back