Contribute
Register

How does kernel patching work? (Broadwell Xeon/X99)

Which motherboard is better? (Compatibility vs. Reliability)

• Asus X99 Deluxe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z87MX-D3H
CPU
Intel Core i7-4770K
Graphics
Onboard Intel HD4600
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello, everyone!

First of all, please let me know if this type of thread isn't allowed and what to do in that case. In the past, I've only used other people's guides, so I'm just trying to start planning for my own build!

Anyway, I've built two hackintoshes so far, the most recent being tonymacx86's Haswell build. I've recently been thinking about upgrading to a used 2010 Mac Pro and then upgrading the processors so that the computer gets a Geekbench score of around 25,000, compared to the 15,000 from my current hackintosh. Instead of upgrading a Mac Pro, however, I thought it'd be more fun to build another hackintosh. So, I spent a few days looking for good hardware and I found a processor that I can get for under $400 USD and has a Geekbench score of 44,000!

What I Want to Do With The Computer
  • Edit Videos Occasionally (But I will need the video rendered ASAP when I do)
  • Run a small server using OS X Server
  • Have an awesome system!

Proposed Basic Parts

Part
Name
Notes
CPU
Socket: FCLGA2011-3​
Motherboard
Socket: LGA2011-3​
RAM
Brand doesn't matter to me​
GPU
It has 2304 CUDA cores for Premiere Pro​

Possible Concerns
  • Will it even work at all? I've seen one example on Geekbench with this processor and OS X, though.
  • Kernel patch? I'm kind of a noob, so I have two basic questions. First, does patching depend on the CPU, chipset, or both? Secondly, how would I know how/what to patch in the kernel for this specific build? Sorry!
  • Amazon reviews make me doubt the motherboard, but I like Gigabyte and how compatible their motherboards are with OS X (or hopefully macOS, too). Is something like the Asus X99 Deluxe motherboard more reliable? (But also maybe not as easily compatible?) Someone used this exact motherboard (different processor) in their X99 Build and only had to use FakeSMC and VoodooTSCSync.
  • Something always seems to go a bit wrong on my hackintoshes, but I guess that's just part of the process. :)
Edit: So really, my question is: Can I get the kernel working? - How I would patch it for this certain build, whether the patching depends on the X99 chipset or the Xeon E5-2683 v4 processor and its Broadwell Architecture (or both)?

Last edited:
Anyone have any experience at all with kernel patching or X99? (Anything helps!)
Kernel patching is best done on the fly with Clover config.plist. The script to do the patch is built into one of the selections under Kernels and kexts to patch section.
So far as which board is better - flip a coin or look at the specs. Which has more to offer you that you want/need than the other?
With El Capitan and Clover, either works, barring sleep/wake and power management, but you can use a patch in Clover and fool the OS into thinking you are running on X79 instead of X99 and get most things working.

Kernel patching is best done on the fly with Clover config.plist. The script to do the patch is built into one of the selections under Kernels and kexts to patch section.
So far as which board is better - flip a coin or look at the specs. Which has more to offer you that you want/need than the other?
With El Capitan and Clover, either works, barring sleep/wake and power management, but you can use a patch in Clover and fool the OS into thinking you are running on X79 instead of X99 and get most things working.
Thank you very much! I don't plan on actually building this build until November, but if/when I do, I'll be sure to make my own thread (and maintain it)! :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back