Contribute
Register

How do you remove the metal fan guard on the Mac Pro 1,1 case?

Motherboard
Mac Pro 1,1
CPU
Xeon > Need full CPU model name > See Forum Rules!
Graphics
> Need model name > See Forum Rules!
I'm preparing a Mac Pro case for the laserhive ATX conversion kit. As far as I can tell, both the top shelf and the top metal fan guard must be removed. Thanks to the help of older guides and much frustration, I managed to remove the top shelf. However, I'm really struggling to understand how to remove the fan guard.

macprofan01.jpg

I've managed to remove all the obvious screws and nuts on the fan guard:
macprofan02.jpg

However there seem to be 4 rivets. What should I be doing here?

Even if I could dremel out the two obvious rivets, the other two are hidden and very difficult to access!

There are 2 ways of doing it:

1 - you keep the parts that make case in place they are and grind with a mini grinder the rivets out, than you have to use a bit a force to get it out.

2 - the case is made out of 4 parts unscrew all screws on the inside (both sides) than tape the top and bottem of the case and a bit inside, because you going to take the front/back i/o case part out (this is a 2 part frame DO NOT LOSE THESE SCREWS YET!!) After that its really simple to remove that metal fan frame. and if you want to paint the case its easier because everything is in parts now.

Both take a bit of time and some elbow grease and patience.

This is my build i made with out using a laserhive ATX conversion kit tried to make it look as stock as possible even the back and how the mac pro 1.1 looks inside. Also chanced the front i/o from 2 usb and 2 firewire ports to 4 3.0 usb ports.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/mac-pro-1-1-hackintosh-z390-designare-build-2021.311051/

hope it helps you own your way with your build

Last edited:
There are 2 ways of doing it:

1 - you keep the parts that make case in place they are and grind with a mini grinder the rivets out, than you have to use a bit a force to get it out.

2 - the case is made out of 4 parts unscrew all screws on the inside (both sides) than tape the top and bottem of the case and a bit inside, because you going to take the front/back i/o case part out (this is a 2 part frame DO NOT LOSE THESE SCREWS YET!!) After that its really simple to remove that metal fan frame. and if you want to paint the case its easier because everything is in parts now.

Both take a bit of time and some elbow grease and patience.

This is my build i made with out using a laserhive ATX conversion kit tried to make it look as stock as possible even the back and how the mac pro 1.1 looks inside. Also chanced the front i/o from 2 usb and 2 firewire ports to 4 3.0 usb ports.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/mac-pro-1-1-hackintosh-z390-designare-build-2021.311051/

hope it helps you own your way with your build
Thank you for that reply!

I’m somewhat torn what to do. The fan shield seems to be quite thick steel. Do you think it’s a problem to remove it with nothing but a dremel with cutting disc?

On the other hand I’m somewhat tired of disassembly. How hard is the second option you discussed? (To remove the casing). I wish there was a YouTube video on this!

Thank you for that reply!

I’m somewhat torn what to do. The fan shield seems to be quite thick steel. Do you think it’s a problem to remove it with nothing but a dremel with cutting disc?

On the other hand I’m somewhat tired of disassembly. How hard is the second option you discussed? (To remove the casing). I wish there was a YouTube video on this!
No problem, a dremel will work just fine, second option is not that hard in my opinion against the first option(will be a hassle did it one time like this and also did the second way and prefer the second one above the first one anytime of the day.

First remove all screws on the inside ''both sides'' (this is going to take the most time) to prevent scratches on the case use painters tape on the bottom and top between the outer frame of the case because you're going to pull the outer frame outwards so you can take the inner frame out upwards (this part is best done with two extra hands) after that you can remove the nuts of the inner frame making it two seconds for the best angels and more wiggle room

I bent mine back and forth until it came off after cutting where it meets the lock rail.

One word of advice on that ATX kit: One of the screws to hold the back plate on will interfere with the pin for the latch to unlock the case door. I don't know if it has been revised this or not, but I figured I would pass that along so you're not beating your brains out.

Back