Contribute
Register

How about this mothermoard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a beginner who want to use ASRock X68 EXTREME7 GEN3 motherboard. It is apparently not very popular here. Will there be problems with the BIOS? But this board has everything I want. Have tried to get a Gigabyte motherboard with PCIe3 (Rev 1.3), but it can not be bought here in Scandinavia.
What I can understand that I must have a DSDT file. Why? And is it entirely necessary to everything should work.
Grateful for the help.

Hello! Welcome! The DSDT is basically a boot file that is built for your specific PC and allows it to work well with almost all the features working. It's not required, but however, it is a lot more convenient than finding individual kexts that match your system devices, and work better most of the time. Its not required for everything to work, but imagine your sound not working. Or your screen stuck in a tiny resolution. All of these features are taken for granted on Windows PCs, but in Hacintoshes, that's a lot harder. Remember that.

gyroknight said:
Hello! Welcome! The DSDT is basically a boot file that is built for your specific PC and allows it to work well with almost all the features working. It's not required, but however, it is a lot more convenient than finding individual kexts that match your system devices, and work better most of the time. Its not required for everything to work, but imagine your sound not working. Or your screen stuck in a tiny resolution. All of these features are taken for granted on Windows PCs, but in Hacintoshes, that's a lot harder. Remember that.

Thank you
I will try to do a DSDT myself. This motherboard is not included in any list. There's a guide that shows how to do, I hope? I will have the ASRock board as gifts for Christmas and an Intel Core i5 2500K too. It is well almost as good as the i7 2600K, but much cheaper? I will not use my computer to any advanced game.

290416 said:
I am a beginner who want to use ASRock X68 EXTREME7 GEN3 motherboard. It is apparently not very popular here. Will there be problems with the BIOS? But this board has everything I want. Have tried to get a Gigabyte motherboard with PCIe3 (Rev 1.3), but it can not be bought here in Scandinavia.
What I can understand that I must have a DSDT file. Why? And is it entirely necessary to everything should work.
Grateful for the help.

Latest ASRock z68 boards has the same power management issues the Asus boards has, it has the MSR 0xE2 bit locked (nullcpupowermanagement.kext needed) and can not wakeup properly from S3/S1 state on OS X. I recommend you look at gigabyte boards, sadly the only viable mobo option to have a somewhat full working mac with few patches.

Latest ASRock z68 boards has the same power management issues the Asus boards has, it has the MSR 0xE2 bit locked (nullcpupowermanagement.kext needed) and can not wakeup properly from S3/S1 state on OS X. I recommend you look at gigabyte boards, sadly the only viable mobo option to have a somewhat full working mac with few patches.[/quote]

Thanks for your help.

I've already got my mobo as a gift. I will try to get it to work reasonably or else can I use it as a Windows computer .
Unfortunately, I can not find a Gigabyte mobo equal qualified that this ASRock card here in Scandinavia

Nevermind on the sleep/wake issue, a fix on it is available at here.

For the network on that mobo you'll probably need this kext

For the audio on the alc892, here is a fix.

Thanks for the enlightenment. Now I will start to assemble my computer. It will take some time so I will be back when I am installing OSX Snow Leopard

290416 said:
Thanks for the enlightenment. Now I will start to assemble my computer. It will take some time so I will be back when I am installing OSX Snow Leopard
Lion would be best on this board if you can get it.

I can get Lion but don´t I have to install Snow Leopard first and then upgrade?

290416 said:
I can get Lion but don´t I have to install Snow Leopard first and then upgrade?

Yeah, im not sure if you can make an usb installer from windows but if you are on a mac already you'd use unibeast to boot the lion install without the need to install SL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back