Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
512K, Plus
Mobile Phone
iOS
Actually I'm thinking about 3x 2TB SSD on RAID 0, I don't know if that configuration will benefit from having a RAID card or it's just fine using Disk Utility as I'm doing right now with 3 x 2TB HDD.
I just need as much as Read/Write performance as I can get, and I don't know if having a RAID card instead of using software RAID makes much difference.
If you can't afford SSDs (Mushkin reactors are affordable and reliable) then go with 3.5 inch 7200 RPM drives or 10000 RPM 2.5 drives. My test was with Slow 5400 drives. My MacPro has 4 SSHD 4TB 3.5 drives and the combined 32GB of SSD across the 4 drives helps. They are in a RAID 5 but are backed up regularly. Seagate does not recommend SSHDs in RAID, but they work well for me.

At any given RPM, smaller drives are always slower.

Motherboard
ASUS Prime Z370-P
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
Just installed my first rocketraid 2720 on 10.14.2. Originally I wanted to install 5x 8TB in raid 6, but highpoint told me later on, that 2720 doesn`t support raid 6 on OS, no stuck with raid 5, what I really wanted to avoid...

Does anyone achieved to lock free raid 6?
Does anyone succesfully flashed the bios? (to avoid the raid bios each startup)

Motherboard
ASUS Rog Maximus IX Hero
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Just installed my first rocketraid 2720 on 10.14.2. Originally I wanted to install 5x 8TB in raid 6, but highpoint told me later on, that 2720 doesn`t support raid 6 on OS, no stuck with raid 5, what I really wanted to avoid...

Does anyone achieved to lock free raid 6?
Does anyone succesfully flashed the bios? (to avoid the raid bios each startup)
I have not tried RAID6 yet, however, I was getting annoyed with the Blue BIOS screen that sits there "initializing" for several minutes. So I decided to flash the BIOS. Here's the link to the drivers and BIOS. The easiest way to flash it is to get it done through Windows if you have a Windows machine or hard drive.

1. Install the driver.
2. Install the WebGUI.
3. Apply the BIOS

You might want to read the GUIDE which helps explain which BIOS you might want. I personally chose QuickBIOS because I don't intend to boot my system from the RAID set up and only use it for storage.

NOTE: Make sure you disconnect all drives from the RAID controller before you apply any updates.

Motherboard
ASUS Prime Z370-P
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
Thank you! I`ll try that!

Motherboard
Supermicro X8DTL
CPU
2x X5670
Graphics
GT 730
I've got a 2720 in both of my machines. One UEFI and one legacy. I'm having trouble booting either of them into Mojave. if I boot off of USB, Clover sees them just fine, and I can boot up to my array. However, if i try to boot directly from the array, I get dropped into the grey boot manager screen, and it cant see any of my drives. I've tried directly copying my EFI folder from USB drive, no change. Format & clean install of Clover on the EFI partitions gives the same behavior. Is the 2720 no longer usable as a boot volume, only storage? I want to note that I have working Mojave installs on both machines on single disks... this is only when I copy my working install to the array, on both the legacy bios and the UEFI machines in my signature.

(Picture below is not mine, but this is the same screen I get on both machines when trying to boot off the 2720.)

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASUS Rog Maximus IX Hero
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
I've got a 2720 in both of my machines. One UEFI and one legacy. I'm having trouble booting either of them into Mojave. if I boot off of USB, Clover sees them just fine, and I can boot up to my array. However, if i try to boot directly from the array, I get dropped into the grey boot manager screen, and it cant see any of my drives. I've tried directly copying my EFI folder from USB drive, no change. Format & clean install of Clover on the EFI partitions gives the same behavior. Is the 2720 no longer usable as a boot volume, only storage? I want to note that I have working Mojave installs on both machines on single disks... this is only when I copy my working install to the array, on both the legacy bios and the UEFI machines in my signature.

(Picture below is not mine, but this is the same screen I get on both machines when trying to boot off the 2720.)
Are you trying to boot off of the 2720? I don't believe that will work. You can try installing macOS on a separate drive and then clone that drive to your RAID configured array. Make sure you update your RAID controller via Windows first and set up your RAID array via Windows as well before doing any cloning.

Motherboard
Supermicro X8DTL
CPU
2x X5670
Graphics
GT 730
So, a bit of an update on this...I got it to work on the UEFI board by swapping out my graphics card. Apparently, it did not like the specific combination of pure UEFI video card and a legacy storage card. By swapping out the graphics card (AMD) with an Nvidia GT 730, I was able to get the 2720 booting successfully on my UEFI board. Not an ideal solution, but it works.

The all-legacy board (X8DTL-iF) continues to vex, however. I have gotten it so far as to actually get me starting to boot into Clover, by selecting BIOS-block IO option instead of SATA i/o option, but it hangs at scanning devices stage. I have a feeling like this is either going to be some obscure Clover option, or some kind of EFI driver is needed.