Contribute
Register

Highpoint 2720SGL WORKS Perfectly in a Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not listed under PCI cards it's listed under Parallel SCSI because OSX sees it as a SAS RAID Controller. SAS "Serial Attached SCSI". As for RAID 6 I've never tried so I don't know if it will work.

2014-05-07_11-43-24.png2014-05-07_11-42-45.png

yes I see them as scsi, but it must be possible to see it as pci card I found this solution, but I'm not shure how it works {http://hackintoshhardware.wordpress.com/2013/05/08/rocketraid-2720sgl/}

as for the raid 6 maybe you can check in your web gui, if it is available, when you create a new raid, it should be in the list. If not, than its not available.

Best and thanks

Out of curiosity, has anyone been able to install the WebGUI under Mavericks?

Every time I try to using the installer packages it locks up my machine the minute I click "install".

The card works ok without it, BUT I would really like to see SMART data, etc. from the drives.

Highpoint 2720SGL WORKS Perfectly in a Hackintosh (almost)

Hi – just thought I’d drop a note on here, as I found it useful when doing my own investigations into using the RR2720 in a hack – thanks to everyone who post their findings, thats how progress is made.

I put one of these cards in a vanilla mockintosh build, straight out of TonyMac (GA-H87 MB, Intel CPU Chameleon boot, Mavericks 10.9 etc etc etc) in a U-NAS 8-bay enclosure to act as an iTunes server, hence the desire for this card.

I set up various combinations of cardware-based RAID0, 1, 5, RAIDZ on ZFS, OSX RAID0 and 1, and just plain JBODs – every time under heavy load (an rSync of media files from single disk to array) it would crap out and fail a drive or two. Tried WD Reds, Greens, Sammys, Seagates. Random fails. Annoying beeps.

I then tried flashing the card BIOS with various versions, eventually settling on RR272x_1x-BIOS-v1.2-110126 from http://www.highpoint-tech.com/BIOS_Driver/rr272x_1x/BIOS/QuickBIOS/ – took me some finding – and now although the cardware RAID no longer works (no BIOS load, no drives show up in web GUI), it seems to be passing the load test at the moment (fingers crossed). Think there is some incompatibility with the RAID BIOS and something in my system, but as I intend to use ZFS long-term, I don’t care – I don’t need the cardware RAID.

Maybe this might help someone else, maybe its just to make me feel better after hours of experimentation… who knows – I might even get round to blogging about it myself….
Thanks again

I looked into the Highpoint installer at one point, and it was just installing a minimal old-style StartupItem. As I recall, I was able to connect to the card’s Web interface in Safari without that StartupItem installed.

I haven’t yet populated the card, so I have removed it for the moment.

The kernel extension for it was definitely present in Mavericks. This is similar to the kernel extensions for other RAID cards, like the CalDigit RAID Card.

Wondering if anyone can help?
Finally realised why my 2720sgl wasn't showing up in OS X - I got the non-raid version.
Is there any hope I can get it working?

Wondering if anyone can help?
Finally realised why my 2720sgl wasn't showing up in OS X - I got the non-raid version.
Is there any hope I can get it working?

@Csacmelb: Did you make any progress on this? I too spent quite a bit of time on this trying to get my card recognised in Yosemite without any success; I'm also using the Rocket 2720 HBA and not the RocketRAID 2720 RAID card.

I wonder how much faster, if any, using a software raid card is than just using SoftRaid? Because honestly I was blown away by how easy it was to get that up and booting EFI with clover.

What is the common disk speed test used with OSX? Because I wouod like to test my 4 disk Samsung 850 evo SoftRaided 1+0 boot drive to see how it compares.

Just an update from me.

I was recently given *yes, given* two (almost new) HGST 6TB drives for my studio setup. They needed SAS, so I purchased the 2720GSL for my 10.11 hackintosh pro.

The install went fine and somehow I was able to fit all the drives (more than 30TB in total) into my machine. But when it came to turning it on, I found I had to manually install the software to get the management console to play ball.

However, with 10.11.2, installing the web software from Highpoint mentioned earlier in this thread caused a KP. I ended up installing manually using Pacifist, and that allowed the install to work without any problems.

Now rocking a 1TB four-way RAID0 setup with 900 MB/s write, 1400MB/s read, and a 12TB two-way RAID0 with about 500 read and write. :)

Nikki.

Reactions: dez
I've been searching, keep coming up empty. Will this card do raid 0+1? I do not see it listed, but am thinking it might be implied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back