Graphics
Mobility Radeon X1600
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey all, first hackintosh here. Heck, first new computer in almost seven years! I'd like to get it right, and to that end I have a few questions.

Here are the vitals. Stole a bunch of them from the buyer's guide:

- Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
- i7-3770K
- EVGA GTX 680 2GB or 4GB - have any of the 4GB 680s been explored for use in hackintoshes? Is there any reason the buyer's guide is all EVGA, or is the brand arbitrary? Does the extra 2 gigs make enough of a difference to justify the extra cash?
- For memory, does anyone have firsthand experience with either G.Skill Ripjaws or Corsair Vengeance? Going to put in either 4x4GB or 4x8GB
- Samsung 840 Pro SSDs for OS X and Windows plus additional hdd bulk storage
- Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler
- Is 650W for this kind of setup comfortable, or should I go with 750W for additional headroom?

Primary uses:

- Modeling, rendering, simulation, and video editing - hence the gobs of RAM
- Recording, mixing, mastering (Logic is my primary)
- Gaming in OS X and Windows with a high degree of future-proof-ness. I don't want to have to think about specs for a long while

Thoughts? Thanks all!

Regarding GPU:
Is there any reason the buyer's guide is all EVGA, or is the brand arbitrary?
The buyer's guide is not an exhaustive compatibility list. There are many similar components which are also compatible. Barring some exceptions with specific cards the brand is arbitrary.
Does the extra 2 gigs make enough of a difference to justify the extra cash?
For many uses the extra RAM of 2 GB vs 1 GB is not justified. 2 GB should leave you with a powerful system with room to grow, but 4 GB does seem like overkill to me. I guess it all depends on what work you're going to be throwing at the GPU. Is it just for accelerating graphics on the screen or is it to do things like accelerate video processing? All sorts of factors such as video frame size can have an effect on the GPU RAM usage. 4 GB does feel like it's going to give you a bit of "future-proof-ness", but I'd check that there aren't compatibility issues with the apps you're going to use.
I don't think Logic cares about the GPU at all.

- For memory, does anyone have firsthand experience with either G.Skill Ripjaws or Corsair Vengeance?
Do some more reading. Many people here are using each. There shouldn't be a difference except for the timings of specific models and the physical size that will fit under the front fan of the NH-D14. Most of the Ripjaws and the Vengeance LP sticks fit fine: have a look at the compatibility info at Noctua.
Going to put in either 4x4GB or 4x8GB
I'm not aware that there's a speed advantage in using 4x 4 GB vs 2x 8 GB: the motherboard only does dual-channel access. So if you were going to go with 16 GB I would suggest 2x 8 GB to give you room to grow later.

Thanks for the reply!

Barring some exceptions with specific cards the brand is arbitrary.

Great to know, thanks. I'll search around for relevant reviews

2 GB should leave you with a powerful system with room to grow, but 4 GB does seem like overkill to me. I guess it all depends on what work you're going to be throwing at the GPU. Is it just for accelerating graphics on the screen or is it to do things like accelerate video processing?

I was thinking that 4 gigs was overkill as well (the shiny is always so tempting). I use a few rendering and physical sim applications that can utilize the gpu, but even then, I'm not sure 4GB will be necessary.

Do some more reading. Many people here are using each. There shouldn't be a difference except for the timings of specific models and the physical size that will fit under the front fan of the NH-D14. Most of the Ripjaws and the Vengeance LP sticks fit fine: have a look at the compatibility info at Noctua.

I was more thinking in terms of customer satisfaction - how does each company treat its customers if there's a problem? Does one have more sticks doa than the other? etc

I'm not aware that there's a speed advantage in using 4x 4 GB vs 2x 8 GB: the motherboard only does dual-channel access. So if you were going to go with 16 GB I would suggest 2x 8 GB to give you room to grow later.

I believe you misread: 4x4GB or 4x8GB. Which I get will probably depend on how much disposable income I have at the time of purchase (much like the gpu)

Hey all, first hackintosh here. Heck, first new computer in almost seven years! I'd like to get it right, and to that end I have a few questions.

Here are the vitals. Stole a bunch of them from the buyer's guide:

- Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
- i7-3770K
- EVGA GTX 680 2GB or 4GB - have any of the 4GB 680s been explored for use in hackintoshes? Is there any reason the buyer's guide is all EVGA, or is the brand arbitrary? Does the extra 2 gigs make enough of a difference to justify the extra cash?
- For memory, does anyone have firsthand experience with either G.Skill Ripjaws or Corsair Vengeance? Going to put in either 4x4GB or 4x8GB
- Samsung 840 Pro SSDs for OS X and Windows plus additional hdd bulk storage
- Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler
- Is 650W for this kind of setup comfortable, or should I go with 750W for additional headroom?

Primary uses:

- Modeling, rendering, simulation, and video editing - hence the gobs of RAM
- Recording, mixing, mastering (Logic is my primary)
- Gaming in OS X and Windows with a high degree of future-proof-ness. I don't want to have to think about specs for a long while

Thoughts? Thanks all!

For the GPU: You generally want about 1gb of GDDR5(VRAM) per screen @60Hz @1080p. If you aren't going to go more than two screens, a 2gb is perfect. For the manufacturer, EVGA makes cheap, reference cards. These are called reference because they are basic-other companies add things, like better coolers, or faster core clocks. If you have enough cash to pay the extra $100 for 5% performance boost over the 670, I'd say go with Gigabyte or MSI for the 680. Asus makes mammoth cards that can bend(because they are so heavy) and that disrupt airflow in your case.

RAM: GSkill Ripjaws are awesome, I've used them in five builds so far. They, along with the UP5TH, are compatible with the NH-D14. MAKE SURE YOU GET 2 2x4gb OR 2 2x8gb BECAUSE Z77 IS DUAL CHANNEL! Not that getting a quad channel wouldn't work, just that you get a bit more performance if you go two dual channel kits like Z77 is meant for, and one quad channel kit is generally cheaper than two dual channel. I've touched the heatspreaders on the Ripjaws while in Prime95(with them maxed out of course), and they DO get hot. Id say go Ripjaws over LP because the RAM DOES get hot.

PSU: Nice PSU, I'd say you wouldn't have to worry with a 750W. I recommend Seasonic or Corsair.

Everything else: Nice choice! I love how you chose that NH-D14, its wonderful I can post my prime95 results on here if you care that much. Also, nice ssd choice.

For the GPU: You generally want about 1gb of GDDR5(VRAM) per screen @60Hz @1080p. If you aren't going to go more than two screens, a 2gb is perfect. For the manufacturer, EVGA makes cheap, reference cards. These are called reference because they are basic-other companies add things, like better coolers, or faster core clocks. If you have enough cash to pay the extra $100 for 5% performance boost over the 670, I'd say go with Gigabyte or MSI for the 680. Asus makes mammoth cards that can bend(because they are so heavy) and that disrupt airflow in your case.

Ah, I didn't realize there was that little difference between be 670 and 680 - I'll just save the money if that's really the case.

RAM: GSkill Ripjaws are awesome, I've used them in five builds so far. They, along with the UP5TH, are compatible with the NH-D14. MAKE SURE YOU GET 2 2x4gb OR 2 2x8gb BECAUSE Z77 IS DUAL CHANNEL!

Thanks for the tip! I had glossed over that fact before you mentioned it

I love how you chose that NH-D14, its wonderful I can post my prime95 results on here if you care that much.

While I'm already convinced it's a great cooler, go right ahead!

I was thinking that 4 gigs was overkill as well (the shiny is always so tempting). I use a few rendering and physical sim applications that can utilize the gpu, but even then, I'm not sure 4GB will be necessary.

For the GPU: You generally want about 1gb of GDDR5(VRAM) per screen @60Hz @1080p. If you aren't going to go more than two screens, a 2gb is perfect.

Different issues here. The simple answer is, do you program the simulation algorithms yourself, or are you using a canned program? Most canned programs (especially if they use CUDA) specifically limit chunk size to fit in one GB of GPU memory (at most). If you ask it to do something that requires larger chunks it will send it to the cpu. In this case there's no reason to get more than a 2GB card.

If you are writing your own code, or someone else is writing it to take advantage of larger memory size, the 4GB might be useful, depending on your specific application. I'm guessing this is not the case though, because if it was, you'd already know whether 2GB or 4GB was better for you =).

Different issues here. The simple answer is, do you program the simulation algorithms yourself, or are you using a canned program? Most canned programs (especially if they use CUDA) specifically limit chunk size to fit in one GB of GPU memory (at most). If you ask it to do something that requires larger chunks it will send it to the cpu. In this case there's no reason to get more than a 2GB card.

If you are writing your own code, or someone else is writing it to take advantage of larger memory size, the 4GB might be useful, depending on your specific application. I'm guessing this is not the case though, because if it was, you'd already know whether 2GB or 4GB was better for you =).

Not writing my own code as of yet, no; not sure if I'll ever find the need to. Didn't know that my applications might not take as much gpu memory as is available, so I guess I'll be emailing a lot of developers to confirm! Thanks for the heads-up.

I believe you misread: 4x4GB or 4x8GB. Which I get will probably depend on how much disposable income I have at the time of purchase (much like the gpu)
No, I didn't mis-read. My point was if you're budget-limited to 16 GB, get 2x 8GB rather than 4x 4GB. Mainly to leave room to add more later.

Alright, revised my working list to include:

- Gigabyte GTX 670 (GV-N680WF2-2GD)
- Corsair HX750 750W Modular
- G.Skill Ripjaws 4x8GB (dual-channel kit)

So for the GA-Z77X-UP5 TH, specs state it has an 'Exclusive Bluetooth 4.0/WiFi Expansion Card'. Anyone have problems using this solution for wireless/bt?

No, I didn't mis-read. My point was if you're budget-limited to 16 GB, get 2x 8GB rather than 4x 4GB. Mainly to leave room to add more later.

Ah, my bad

So for the GA-Z77X-UP5 TH, specs state it has an 'Exclusive Bluetooth 4.0/WiFi Expansion Card'. Anyone have problems using this solution for wireless/bt?
It's a PCIe x1 card which houses a mini-PCIe wireless card. This card isn't the same model as in the GA-Z77N-WIFI board, but the end result is the same: Bluetooth works but WiFi does not. Options include:
  • Put this card in and use it just for Bluetooth.
  • Leave the card out and use a USB BT dongle if you need BT.
  • Replace the mini-PCIe card with a supported WiFi model. But it won't have BT.
  • Use something else for WiFi.
I left it out entirely. No need for WiFi, limited space with all the other cards I have going on, and USB Bluetooth dongles are so easy I couldn't be bothered futzing with the card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back