Contribute
Register

High Sierra & Win 10 - Use Win 10 in Parallels VM - One or Two Drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Looking for the pros/cons of using one vs two drives for multi-booting High Sierra and Windows 10. In addition to being able to boot to both operating systems, I would also like to boot into Windows 10 via Parallels Desktop in a virtual machine.

My reasons for using just one drive are simply saving a couple bucks as well as a SATA port. Is there any downside to using one drive outside of the setup/install being a little different? Will my need to access the Win 10 install via Parallels while booted in macOS influence my decision?

Thanks in advance.

Looking for the pros/cons of using one vs two drives for multi-booting High Sierra and Windows 10. In addition to being able to boot to both operating systems, I would also like to boot into Windows 10 via Parallels Desktop in a virtual machine.

My reasons for using just one drive are simply saving a couple bucks as well as a SATA port. Is there any downside to using one drive outside of the setup/install being a little different? Will my need to access the Win 10 install via Parallels while booted in macOS influence my decision?

Thanks in advance.
I have 3 OSs installed to one drive, single EFI partition, works as UEFI is supposed to. EFI boot option contains a hard drive partition and a file path so it makes no difference anyway, unless you are doing something wrong or your firmware is broken.

I have 3 OSs installed to one drive, single EFI partition, works as UEFI is supposed to. EFI boot option contains a hard drive partition and a file path so it makes no difference anyway, unless you are doing something wrong or your firmware is broken.

Thanks for the quick reply. Any experience with running any of the other OSs in a VM?

Thanks for the quick reply. Any experience with running any of the other OSs in a VM?
Afraid not, though if you've got sufficient RAM it shouldn't be a problem. If its an SSD I doubt you'd notice much difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back