Contribute
Register

High Sierra wake problem (x79)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I tried the 10.13 first release beta 1 and the problem repeats, so there doesn't seem an easy way to find a working 10.13. And its stopped my 10.12.6 from booting. ooops. Not sure how that happened, I unplug the 10.12 SSD and use a HDD for 10.13 tests.

This problem has been a real PITA. Here's my theory on why it may be happening on the x79 platforms and or the Sandy Bridge Processors. In order for the system to sleep, all of its devices must also sleep. If there's a device refuses to sleep, the system will fail to sleep or partially sleep. My guess is that some of the third-party devices have partially compatible drivers, or drivers with incomplete sleep implementations that are not responding to system sleep messages. Interestingly, the fully Supported Apple hardware appear to sleep correctly.

Does anyone have an install working with all devices running on High Sierra? This includes sound USB 3 and all the other normally problematic devices. Please specify your BIOS as well. If you post your clover boot older and any 3rd party kexts in the sytem, I will spend some hours tracking down the issue and give you my ruling and hack something together. I am a software engineer with a little experience writing Mach and BSD drivers. Hopefully we can work to get to the bottom of this.

@JoeBeazelman, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard (Mobo), CPU and Graphics Card.
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

Joe, I can post my clover folder here, but frankly, I do not think it has anything to do with 3rd party kexts. I have tried a LOT of things, including disconnecting any PCI hardware, resetting CMOS, using different BIOS and whatnot. As you seem to have such a system yourself, why not try with your own setup? Of course if you need anything else I am glad to help.

I haven't been able to get USB 3 to work and I'm not sure it can work at least not on High Sierra. So far, I have yet to encounter anyone on this forum who has managed to get a fully working High Sierra System on the ASUS x79 mobos, especially with the Asmedia USB 3.0 1042. If you're one of those lucky few, but still have sleep issues, I can almost certainly say it's due this particular device. I cannot, however, confirm it with any certainty without enough data to work with. It's why I am asking for some configuration information.

I've read some of the ACPI specifications (1000 pages long), I've learned that USB is extremely critical to sleep and its interface to the power management system is very complex and tightly integrated. It's why you can wake up a machine by simply moving a mouse or pressing a key. The other onboard Intel USB works flawlessly primarily because Intel couldn't afford to have a bad implementation of their own specification.

If I cannot find a solution, I can at least help confirm what the source of the problem is.

ASM1042 is known to be not working properly since at least 10.11 ... So, forget about it! I have completely disabled it a long while ago and achieved USB3 funcionality with a FL1100 based PCI card (same chip as in the mac pro 6,1). Also I have tried booting with only the X79 USB2 ports active. No dice.

So just disable that chip in BIOS and try if you can wake then (I bet you can't). I may be wrong, but I don't think it is becuase of USB.

So just disable that chip in BIOS and try if you can wake then (I bet you can't). I may be wrong, but I don't think it is becuase of USB.

You're thinking in terms of the old BIOS mechanism. ACPI is fundametally different. The BIOS can turn off the power to the device, but a device driver or the OS can turn it back on. In fact, there is really no way to turn off the Asmedia Chipset in the ASUS BIOS. You can see this for yourself by trying to turn it off and then launching Windows 10 and looking at the device manager.

The Power management issue is very common for this chipset on other operating systems. I had the same issue with Windows in the past running Window 7 on the same machine. Google "ASM1042 Sleep issues". Asmedia is a terrible company and I would avoid all their products in the future. Unlike other chipset manufacturers, they don't directly support their products. You have to get their drivers from third party vendors. That said, have you tried updating the firmware to the latest version?

I have everything but the USB 3 working with my D30 motherboard, it is using the NEC uPD720200 chipset, no ASM1042. Still a problem.

bit of an update, with 10.13.4 I'm getting a different wake behavior, now instead of getting a continuous reset loop, the machine appears to start for a few seconds and then shut down on a mouse click wake. Nothing useful showing in pmset -g log though

anyone else confirm or know how to fix this?

Has the USB and or sleep worked in previous versions of OS X?

What is your USB driver and version? Have you tried to update the firmware on the USB chipset to the latest available? Did you check if it works with 10.13.4?

Did you patch any DSDT your SSDT?

The behavior appears slightly promising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back