Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> High Sierra not booting from primary or backup disk. Was working perfectly before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can obtain the ACPI tables from the Clover boot screen, by pressing the F4 key.

This will extract the ACPI tables and save them in the background (no notification is provided that anything is happening), so you need to wait 30-60 seconds after pressing the F4 key, while the tables are written to the /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder on your USB.

You can then attach a copy of the origin folder here.
Attached the origin folder for your expert perusal - many thanks!

Attachments

• origin.zip
    51.5 KB · Views: 44
I have used Corpnewt's SSDTTime python script and your system's DSDT.aml to generate three custom SSDT's, which should be added to your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.
  • SSDT-EC.aml
  • SSDT-HPET.aml
  • SSDT-PLUG.aml
Along with these SSDT's the script also generated three ACPI config.plist rename patches, related to the SSDT-HPET.aml. These rename patches are required if the SSDT-HPET.aml is to work. Below are a couple of screenshots showing the changes to the config.plist with the SSDT's and patches.

Screenshot 2021-06-28 at 16.53.58.png
ACPI - DSDT1 - Rename patches added, FixIPIC and FixHPET removed, Generate CStates & PStates added

Screenshot 2021-06-28 at 16.54.08.png
ACPI - DSDT2 - FixRTC and FixTMR removed.

Try the attached Clover folder v3 below to see if these fixes/changes help get you further along the boot process.

Attachments

• CLOVER-v3.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 50
Now this is a bit late, but can you go through your Bios and make sure you have it set as shown below:
  1. Virtualization : Enabled
  2. VT-d : Disabled
  3. XHCI Hand-Off : Enabled
  4. Legacy USB Support: Auto/Enabled
  5. IO SerialPort : Disabled
  6. Network Stack : Disabled
  7. XMP Profile : Auto / Profile 1/Enabled
  8. UEFI Booting set to Enabled and set Priority over Legacy
  9. Secure Boot : Disabled
  10. Fast Boot : Disabled
  11. OS Type: Other OS
  12. Wake on LAN : Disabled
When using a Dedicated Graphics + Integrated graphics card use these settings:
  1. Integrated Graphics : Enabled
  2. Graphics: PEG/PCIe Slot 1
  3. Initial Display Output : PCIe 1 Slot
  4. DVMT Pre-Allocated : 128M or higher
Some settings may not be present, others may be hidden within a sub-menu that only becomes available when you select another option, CSM being the one that springs to mind.

Now this is a bit late, but can you go through your Bios and make sure you have it set as shown below:
  1. Virtualization : Enabled
  2. VT-d : Disabled
  3. XHCI Hand-Off : Enabled
  4. Legacy USB Support: Auto/Enabled
  5. IO SerialPort : Disabled
  6. Network Stack : Disabled
  7. XMP Profile : Auto / Profile 1/Enabled
  8. UEFI Booting set to Enabled and set Priority over Legacy
  9. Secure Boot : Disabled
  10. Fast Boot : Disabled
  11. OS Type: Other OS
  12. Wake on LAN : Disabled
When using a Dedicated Graphics + Integrated graphics card use these settings:
  1. Integrated Graphics : Enabled
  2. Graphics: PEG/PCIe Slot 1
  3. Initial Display Output : PCIe 1 Slot
  4. DVMT Pre-Allocated : 128M or higher
Some settings may not be present, others may be hidden within a sub-menu that only becomes available when you select another option, CSM being the one that springs to mind.
Sorry to report this hasn't helped. Still clicks off after random seed, saying "Invalid tree for kext injection"

I assume when you use one of the new CLOVER folder, you are replacing the WHOLE folder not just parts of it, yes?

As the "Invalid tree for kext injection" error would imply the kexts are not in the /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder. I just checked the CLOVER v3 folder I provide in post #22 and the kexts are in the correct/expected folder/location.

I assume when you use one of the new CLOVER folder, you are replacing the WHOLE folder not just parts of it, yes?

As the "Invalid tree for kext injection" error would imply the kexts are not in the /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder. I just checked the CLOVER v3 folder I provide in post #22 and the kexts are in the correct/expected folder/location.
Absolutely correct - I replace the whole clover folder as you provided. It seems strange that it won't boot with the config at all, however I don't really know what goes on in which order in the whole clover boot procedure so I can't figure out which bit is not working.

Thanks for your perseverance in debugging this - it is a tremendous help.

It seems strange that it won't boot with the config at all
A long shot but maybe there is a conflict between the contents of the /EFI folder and the contents of /Library/Extensions on the system partition.

Try adding -f UseKernelCache=No to your boot arguments.
Also try booting without injected kexts (spacebar and select at the Clover menu).

A long shot but maybe there is a conflict between the contents of the /EFI folder and the contents of /Library/Extensions on the system partition.

Try adding -f UseKernelCache=No to your boot arguments.
Also try booting without injected kexts (spacebar and select at the Clover menu).
Hi Pilgrim, I tried both of these options and it still just reboots after the random seed line.

I also checked the EFI partition of the boot disk (all others are removed until it will boot) and replaced the clover directory with Edhawk's last version. No difference. If you ask me I don't think it is even getting far enough to load the clover config.

In the meantime I have also swapped out the CPU (for an i7 3770K) to rule that out - no difference.

Attached is a screenshot of how far the boot gets showing the last messages.

Attachments

• IMG_7073-1.jpg
    IMG_7073-1.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
SOLVED.

After much trying out of clover versions etc, installing a new CPU and checking and rechecking BIOS Settings, I finally managed to get the system to boot from a freshly made Unibeast Install USB Stick using the 5119 Clover settings supplied by Edhawk.
HOWEVER
I believe that the culprit was indeed the BIOS setting LOAD PREBOOT XHCI DRIVER which was set to enabled. After disabling this but leaving XHCI handoff enabled, and the other XHCI settings on auto the stick, and subsequently the SSD booted up just fine.

I know for a fact that I didn't change that setting prior to the system not booting so I wonder if the ECOS bootstick did.

Now the system is running as before, in fact, better, probably down to the changes in the Clover folder you have so kindly put together.

MANY THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!! IOU guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back