Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> High Sierra not booting from primary or backup disk. Was working perfectly before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only problem I now have that I didn't before is that connecting external USB drives throws an "insufficient power" error. I guess this is down to one of the USB kexts, but if anyone can pinpoint the solution for me I'd be grateful.

Cheers everyone!

You may need to add SSDT-USBX.aml to your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.

Attachments

• SSDT-USBX.aml.zip
    943 bytes · Views: 47
You may need to add SSDT-USBX.aml to your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.
Thanks Edhawk, tried that but hasn't fixed the problem, that is, as long as you just need to add it to the EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched folder. The USB 2.0 ports are working fine, just not the 3.0. Everything else is working fine. I did not have this problem with the config I was using before the BIOS mishap, so I will have a look and see what the differences are.

Would adding GenericUSBXHCI.kext to clover be a possible fix?

Last edited:
No I don't think it will help. As that kext was dropped from use when the USB port limit changes were introduced by Apple with the release of macOS El Capitan.

Your H77-DS3H motherboard only has four USB3 ports, two on the back and two via a motherboard header. Are all four USB3 ports (assumed two from case front are connected to the motherboard header) suffering with the same power issues?

Do you have a custom USB port configuration for your system, i.e. USBPorts.kext, USBMap.kext or SSDT-UIAC.aml?

If not, you need to create one. Read and follow this guide by UtterDisbelief - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/

Your motherboard only has these USB connections:
Intel H77 Chipset:
  1. Up to 4 USB 3.0/2.0 ports (2 ports on the back panel, 2 ports available through the internal USB header)
  2. Up to 8 USB 2.0/1.1 ports (4 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB headers)
This means your system has a maximum of 16 USB ports available, assuming all three internal USB headers are fully connected & utilized.

The usual assumption is that one of the USB2 internal headers is connected to the case front USB2 ports. The other can be connected to a USB2 card reader or the Bluetooth module from a Broadcom WiFi/BT combo card. The Bluetooth connection usually only uses one of the two ports available from the USB header.

Read and follow the guide linked above. I am fairly sure if you do you will fix this issue.

No I don't think it will help. As that kext was dropped from use when the USB port limit changes were introduced by Apple with the release of macOS El Capitan.

Your H77-DS3H motherboard only has four USB3 ports, two on the back and two via a motherboard header. Are all four USB3 ports (assumed two from case front are connected to the motherboard header) suffering with the same power issues?

Do you have a custom USB port configuration for your system, i.e. USBPorts.kext, USBMap.kext or SSDT-UIAC.aml?

If not, you need to create one. Read and follow this guide by UtterDisbelief - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/

Your motherboard only has these USB connections:
Intel H77 Chipset:
  1. Up to 4 USB 3.0/2.0 ports (2 ports on the back panel, 2 ports available through the internal USB header)
  2. Up to 8 USB 2.0/1.1 ports (4 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB headers)
This means your system has a maximum of 16 USB ports available, assuming all three internal USB headers are fully connected & utilized.

The usual assumption is that one of the USB2 internal headers is connected to the case front USB2 ports. The other can be connected to a USB2 card reader or the Bluetooth module from a Broadcom WiFi/BT combo card. The Bluetooth connection usually only uses one of the two ports available from the USB header.

Read and follow the guide linked above. I am fairly sure if you do you will fix this issue.
Once again - many thanks for the reply and link. All the USB 3.0 ports function with a USB 2.0 keyboard, none with any external USB HDD, so it seems to be the issue with limited power to the USB 3.0 ports. I will study the newbies guid to eUSB and report back.

Once again - many thanks for the reply and link. All the USB 3.0 ports function with a USB 2.0 keyboard, none with any external USB HDD, so it seems to be the issue with limited power to the USB 3.0 ports. I will study the newbies guid to eUSB and report back.

Hi there.

The power problem can depend on the USB HDD you are using. Mine are mostly USB2 anyway, so the need for extra power is not really an issue. However some caddies are USB3 connections and if your ports are not running at full USB3 potential, then maybe there isn't enough power going through.

To help us help you, you can either:

1) upload an export from IORegistryExplorer.app . This will allow us to check the ports you have and their configuration.

2) Run Hackintool and upload a screengrab of the USB tab when selected.

:)

Hi there.

The power problem can depend on the USB HDD you are using. Mine are mostly USB2 anyway, so the need for extra power is not really an issue. However some caddies are USB3 connections and if your ports are not running at full USB3 potential, then maybe there isn't enough power going through.

To help us help you, you can either:

1) upload an export from IORegistryExplorer.app . This will allow us to check the ports you have and their configuration.

2) Run Hackintool and upload a screengrab of the USB tab when selected.

:)
Well thanks to your excellent guide for Idjits https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/ all is now working as it should be. I deleted the unused entries, created the USBPorts.kext and now all ports are working and the power message for the USB 3.0 disks has disappeared.
So heaps of thanks for taking the time to write a guide that even people like me (an IT pro but definitely not a programmer/hacker) can follow. Kudos! I am amazed at the knowledge to be found here, and that you guys'n'gals are willing to share this with us humble wannabes.

So heaps of thanks for taking the time to write a guide that even people like me (an IT pro but definitely not a programmer/hacker) can follow. Kudos! I am amazed at the knowledge to be found here, and that you guys'n'gals are willing to share this with us humble wannabes.
The reason I started out here instead of at other hackintosh sites was because the guides were well written and easy to follow. tonymacx86 started doing this back in 2010 writing Snow Leopard guides. Then came Multibeast and Unibeast which made hackintoshing accessible to most everyone.

We've tried to keep up that tradition since by making guides clear enough even for non-technical people. UtterDisbelief has done an excellent job making the complicated task of mapping and configuring your USB ports very easy to accomplish. Some hackintosh communities expect you to have an iOS or macOS coders level of understanding and don't even explain the basics first. They're not very welcoming to hackintosh newbies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back