Contribute
Register

High Sierra - GA-x58-ud3r (Legacy Bios)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Going Bald - I even tried to create an uefi clover usb - this boots into the usb fine but also only lists 2 out of my 3 partitions. so it must be a bios limitation or something to do with GUID,

Just wanted to ask with a dsdt does one still require APPLERTC.kext to be patched by clover to prevent bios reset?
every reboot I do I have to flick the switch on my PSU and then press the power button to drain my board and then power on again and go into bios and load from a saved config.

I have the APPLERTC patch flag set to true but this does not seem to. help I have also installed a patched AppleRTC.kext into S/L/E and then rebuilt caches.

Any ideas on something else I could try.
Just one last question how does one know if DSDT is being utilised?

Any ideas on something else I could try.
Just one last question how does one know if DSDT is being utilised?
On the X58A boards without a DSDT you will KP unless you are using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
You could try further editing your DSDT to get full power management and sleep/wake as I did. The DSDT in the forum database has only minimal edits. Suggest you hit F4 at the Clover boot screen and edit the DSDT in Clover/ACPI/Original and start from scratch, since the forum version has some renaming that d00d did not do. Consequently, you may not find the text you search for when following d00d's guide since it was changed. Start with a fresh DSDT and follow d00d's excellent guide at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...ns/page-1?hl=+native +power +management +ex58

On the X58A boards without a DSDT you will KP unless you are using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
You could try further editing your DSDT to get full power management and sleep/wake as I did. The DSDT in the forum database has only minimal edits. Suggest you hit F4 at the Clover boot screen and edit the DSDT in Clover/ACPI/Original and start from scratch, since the forum version has some renaming that d00d did not do. Consequently, you may not find the text you search for when following d00d's guide since it was changed. Start with a fresh DSDT and follow d00d's excellent guide at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/196771-ga-ex58-and-ga-x58a-dsdt-native-power-management-modifications/page-1?hl=+native +power +management +ex58

Hi Going Bald

So hows this for weird.
I was messing around on my Time Machine Guid partition to see if I could create a recovery partition, so I resized my Time Machine partition to have a recovery partition of 20 gigs, I then installed unibeast 7 Sierra to this in legacy mode, but because its a guid partition clover gets installed to the EFI partition.
I did a reboot and booted into clover and still no Time Machine partition but as suspected the installed MacOS sierra was there, so I though let me try this with the high Sierra unibeast, so I made another 2 partition on my timemachine guid drive one for the macOS high Sierra installer and one for installing it too.
As suspect when I rebooted into clover I could select the high Sierra installer, I then installed macOS high Sierra to the 3 partition on the same drive and guess what it installed and upon reboot I can select the macOS high Sierra and it gets to the desktop. but what I don't understand is why I still cannot see the Time Machine partition and when I did this the first time on my SSD it would not display the drive.

Any ideas, my Time Machine is a normal HDD so it would not have been converted to the new apfs filesystem.
So it has to be something with clover being installed on a EFI partition on the Guid for it to be found or something.

let me know your thoughts as I'm in the dark.

@Bellicus

No ideas, laddie. I have never seen anything like what you describe.

This is a known issue, on old BOIS boards. I use to have that motherboard, Going Bold should have had the issue as well, moving over to clover. You install Clover as MBR, and you can't see the drive, you install as GUID, and it doesn't boot clover. If you search this site you will find the answer. From what I remember, once you boot into the installer and format the drive, you have to go into Terminal and enter a command on that Partition, after that it should work. Honestly, thats going to be one of the easier things to fix. I would recommend you get some newer hardware (e.a UEFI board), if you have the money, because it would save you some headache.

This is a known issue, on old BOIS boards. I use to have that motherboard, Going Bold should have had the issue as well, moving over to clover.
The only issue I had was that Clover had to be installed in the root - not in the ESP. So, if I used MultiBeast to install it (MB installs to ESP) then I had to Show all files so I could see the boot file in the ESP and move everything in the EFI partition to root (EFI folder and boot file). After that the X58A boots no problem with Clover. The caveat here is that the EFI partition must be formatted FAT32 for Clover to boot from the ESP. Later versions of Clover could be installed to the ESP and cause no problems with the boot.

The only issue I had was that Clover had to be installed in the root - not in the ESP. So, if I used MultiBeast to install it (MB installs to ESP) then I had to Show all files so I could see the boot file in the ESP and move everything in the EFI partition to root (EFI folder and boot file). After that the X58A boots no problem with Clover. The caveat here is that the EFI partition must be formatted FAT32 for Clover to boot from the ESP. Later versions of Clover could be installed to the ESP and cause no problems with the boot.

Interesting, My old board was from the same family as yours, and I had to install Clover as MBR. The EFI folder being located right on the root of the drive (no EFI Partition). If I set it up with an EFI Partition, Clover wouldn't boot. In this way I was also able to boot my Windows 10 drive (which was in MBR).
Once I upgraded the hardware. Clover (which was now working in UEFI mode) wouldn't boot my Windows 10 Drive which I cloned. I had to convert it to GPT for it to work.
Getting back on track, I think all this ties together. BIOS board = MBR, UEFI Board = GUID

Interesting, My old board was from the same family as yours, and I had to install Clover as MBR. The EFI folder being located right on the root of the drive (no EFI Partition). If I set it up with an EFI Partition, Clover wouldn't boot. In this way I was also able to boot my Windows 10 drive (which was in MBR).
Once I upgraded the hardware. Clover (which was now working in UEFI mode) wouldn't boot my Windows 10 Drive which I cloned. I had to convert it to GPT for it to work.
Getting back on track, I think all this ties together. BIOS board = MBR, UEFI Board = GUID
You are using MBR and GUID inappropriately. When you say BIOS board = MBR you are in error. When you say UEFI board = GUID you are in error. Whether the board is Legacy BIOS or UEFI BIOS is totally independent of the format of the hard drive/solid state drive partition tables (MBR or GUID). You can format a drive with GUID and boot from a Legacy BIOS board just fine - I do it every day with my X58A build with Sierra installed on a GUID formatted drive. You can format a drive MBR and boot it from a UEFI BIOS board - several members have stated this is the only way they can get their systems to boot. I tend to think this is more a case of not formatting/installing properly rather than a requirement of the hardware or the BIOS/UEFI.

You are using MBR and GUID inappropriately. When you say BIOS board = MBR you are in error. When you say UEFI board = GUID you are in error. Whether the board is Legacy BIOS or UEFI BIOS is totally independent of the format of the hard drive/solid state drive partition tables (MBR or GUID). You can format a drive with GUID and boot from a Legacy BIOS board just fine - I do it every day with my X58A build with Sierra installed on a GUID formatted drive. You can format a drive MBR and boot it from a UEFI BIOS board - several members have stated this is the only way they can get their systems to boot. I tend to think this is more a case of not formatting/installing properly rather than a requirement of the hardware or the BIOS/UEFI.

Hello...
Please i need help, because u have near by same config like me...
I used MacOS on any other PCs like working Dells... Without any problem, because there was a UEFI BIOS..
On my home i have PC with Gigabyte X58A-UD5 2.0 FE BIOS + XEON X5670@4GHz + 24GB RAM (6x4GB) + nVIDIA 1070 FE.
I Really have a problem with running any MacOS on this PC... :( Onetimes i made a Sierra installation (i dont know how, because second try from same USB not working -n Booting) :D and it made me crazy...
Please can u help me with your confog.plist and help me with making a USB drive? I dont know where is the problem... I dont want a new PC, because this canfig is too much enought for everything, VR included... :)

Many many thanks for any answer

David

I understand, that makes perfect sense...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back