Contribute
Register

High Sierra - GA-x58-ud3r (Legacy Bios)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a thought - I was reading this thread as am just about to try and install High Sierra on an old machine which uses this system board.

Is it possible that the whole GUID / MBR issue is a red herring. Could this issue be related to which SATA port the intended boot drive is connected to. I do not remember exactly but I do remember several operating systems ago when I first built this machine that it was sensitive to which SATA port was used. I am going to dig out the manual for the board shortly as I start collecting bits to use when rebuilding this. That may help me remember the SATA port issue.

Edited to add - just found the manual and realised my board is a X58A-UD3R.

@the_gael

UD3R is an easy board to install on. Only SATA port restriction is to connect to the Northbridge driven SATA ports. Do not connect to the ones driven by Marvell or Gigabyte chips.

@the_gael

UD3R is an easy board to install on. Only SATA port restriction is to connect to the Northbridge driven SATA ports. Do not connect to the ones driven by Marvell or Gigabyte chips.
@Going Bald thank you - I remember now that is all it was. Just about to install just now using latest unibeast and multi beast :)

Is there any issue I should be aware of regarding USB ports on this board? I am aware of and have disabled the USB 3.0 ports.

Trying to boot from a USB stick just now and very very slow boot time. It took over 5 minutes to reach the clover screen. Am going to swap USB ports and see if it makes any difference.

I don’t remember anything like this when I first built this board when it was new - but then again I was vague on remembering the SATA issue

@Going Bald I noticed that you used Mac Pro 6,1 system definition. Is that best for this board with High Sierra - I am using a Xeon processor?
The 6,1 may have been an experiment. Attached is the actual config.plist from Clover I am using with the serial number removed.

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 152
Is there any issue I should be aware of regarding USB ports on this board? I am aware of and have disabled the USB 3.0 ports.

Trying to boot from a USB stick just now and very very slow boot time. It took over 5 minutes to reach the clover screen. Am going to swap USB ports and see if it makes any difference.

I don’t remember anything like this when I first built this board when it was new - but then again I was vague on remembering the SATA issue
AFAIK the only USB issue with the GA-X58A boards is the unsupported USB3.0 chip. There were Renesas drivers up through Lion or Mountain Lion, but not after.

The 6,1 may have been an experiment. Attached is the actual config.plist from Clover I am using with the serial number removed.
Thank you - I will look at it in a little while. Discovered I am having the same issue as the OP - I can install to the HD using Unibeast created USB stick and can see the target HD at that point however on rebooting I can't see the drive I have just installed to - attached it to another Hack to see what was on it and noticed that the install process has not converted it to APFS it remains as before even though it is an SSD. I did not do anything to avoid converting to APFS. About to try your suggestion regarding moving all files on unibeast clover installer usb to root.

Just tried moving boot file and and EFI folder to root of the installer USB but I get a bootaf error. I am creating another USB installer - this time just issuing the following command in terminal
"sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB && say Boot Installer Complete" and then I will install clover legacy to root of the USB. Then will test to see if it sees the HFS HD I installed on in the X58 machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back