I used these commands:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/fstab

typed this

Code:
LABEL=System\040Reserved none ntfs noauto

and checked permissions

The System Reserved partition is already there. So I have a question:

I've installed Paragon NTFS for Mac 8, shoud I use "ntfs" as file system in the fstab or another one? I know that if is installed ntfs-3g we should use "ntfs-3g" in the fstab...

Thanks

tetodbs said:
Sudds said:
Use this code here NotShy.
Code:

Hi to all, this is my first post.
I've tried with no success...
I used these commands:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/fstab

typed this

Code:

and checked permissions

The System Reserved partition is already there. So I have a question:

I've installed Paragon NTFS for Mac 8, shoud I use "ntfs" as file system in the fstab or another one? I know that if is installed ntfs-3g we should use "ntfs-3g" in the fstab...

Thanks

Best thing to do - go into Windows and then load Disk Management and there you can rename the System Reserved partition to something more sensible like "Windows" or "WindowsSysRes" i.e. something without any spaces in.

I found when I did this that my drive also got a UUID which I could then see in Disk Utils and use the UUID in the fstab file instead of the name. Or given that you've renamed it to something more straight forward - it should be easier to block it with FSTAB.

I hope this helps

I looked through the thread and didn't see it.... what's the purpose of doing this?

I understand this would rid the Finder of the extra Windows drives but is there a performance benefit?

Would OSX have issues with leaving them as-is ( System Reserved + other drives/partitions?

I have my Windows HDD showing 2 partitions + the "system reserved". I'd like them hidden... just curious what the reasons for doing it are over just cleaning up Finder.

Thanks!

lilcheen said:
I looked through the thread and didn't see it.... what's the purpose of doing this?

I understand this would rid the Finder of the extra Windows drives but is there a performance benefit?

Would OSX have issues with leaving them as-is ( System Reserved + other drives/partitions?

I have my Windows HDD showing 2 partitions + the "system reserved". I'd like them hidden... just curious what the reasons for doing it are over just cleaning up Finder.

Thanks!

I did it to clean up Finder. I have my drives appear on the desktop (old habits) so I didn't want my desktop cluttered with Windows partitions that were NTFS and hence OSX couldn't write to them (yes I know there are programs) and I didn't need to copy any data from them. So I hid mine ....

I encountered similar problems and the HD icons are still at their place... nothing has changed. :cry:

I tried all the methods, except the one with developers' kit. without success.

So, how to hide Windows 7 drives in OSX?

Thanks
Michael

Open textedit, select format tab, select make plain text.

My own example:

UUID=6C8131C0-F79D-46F1-BB2C-B49BBDFD1364 none ntfs noauto
UUID=78D4F0C4-9DF4-4CE7-B7D4-B82D250F3A9C none ntfs noauto

Do not copy and paste, use TAB -->| key for spacing.

When saving untick use .txt as extension, name the txt file "fstab" without quotes.
Place in the "etc" folder in root of your drive, you may need show all files app which is available with multibeast.

Sudds said:
Open textedit, select format tab, select make plain text.

My own example:

UUID=6C8131C0-F79D-46F1-BB2C-B49BBDFD1364 none ntfs noauto
UUID=78D4F0C4-9DF4-4CE7-B7D4-B82D250F3A9C none ntfs noauto

Do not copy and paste, use TAB -->| key for spacing.

When saving untick use .txt as extension, name the txt file "fstab" without quotes.
Place in the "etc" folder in root of your drive, you may need show all files app which is available with multibeast.
Thanks Sudds

Actually my Win7 has crashed... so no Win7 drives to hide :D
When I reinstall Win7 on a new 1TB I'll try again.

I understand that LABEL=System\040Reserved none ntfs noauto is a disk named System Reserved.
But what are the other 2 UUID numbers? Where I can find the corrisponding numbers of my Win7 Hds?
In my Win7 installation I can see 2 HDs:
- System Reserved
- Untitled

The latter "Untitled" Hd in terminal has no name (blank field).

Thanks
Michael
So, how can I hide it?

Sudds said:
Head into Disk Utility, select the drive you want to hide, click on info, and it should give that drives UUID number. ;)
Yes, but I have Western Digital HDs and they have different UUID numbers, starting with FAEX or something similar...
Now I'm not in front of my Hack, thus I can't remeber well..

Anyway, if I succeed taking a screen picture of that info window, I'll post it on this forum.

regards
Michael :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back