Contribute
Register

Hiding Windows 7 Drives in OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trust me, it works ;-) I did this a long time when I had windows on my macs.

cr4nky said:
Or just boot into windows and rename the drive to .windows (the dot in front hides it) ;-)

cr4nky

What do i rename exactly? The windows file folder or the whole hdd?

joedesu1 said:
cr4nky said:
Or just boot into windows and rename the drive to .windows (the dot in front hides it) ;-)

cr4nky

The entire HD. You could also go into OSX, Open Terminal, and type:

mv /Volumes/NAME_OF_MY_WINDOWS_HD /Volumes/.NAME_OF_MY_WINDOWS_HD

Of course, replace NAME_OF_MY_WINDOWS_HD with the name of your windows HDD.

Tom

tinkerC said:
joedesu1 said:
cr4nky said:

cr4nky

Tom

Hi,
I have succesfully gotten rid of 2 of the 3 windows partitions I for some reason have. I had "system reserved" (self explanatory fixed to hide already), "Untitled 1" (says windows ntfs, cant figure this one out), and "Untitled 2" (windows .c drive edit hid this). Heres what i tried in terminal using your method. Let me know what im doing wrong. Thnks

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-09-17 at 7.34.42 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-09-17 at 7.34.42 PM.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 202
joedesu1 said:
tinkerC said:

Tom

Hi,
I have succesfully gotten rid of 2 of the 3 windows partitions I for some reason have. I had "system reserved" (self explanatory fixed to hide already), "Untitled 1" (says windows ntfs, cant figure this one out), and "Untitled 2" (windows .c drive edit hid this). Heres what i tried in terminal using your method. Let me know what im doing wrong. Thnks

The problem is that the existence of whitespace inside your drive name confuses the mv command, try the following command instead:

mv "/Volumes/NAME_OF_MY_WINDOWS_HD" "/Volumes/.NAME_OF_MY_WINDOWS_HD"

The quotes being where they are will make sure that the name of your drive is seen as only one drive.

Tom

I didn't do it that complicated! I just booted into windows and renamed my windows drive to ".Windows". (without quotes of course). Then you reboot into mac and the drive is hidden ;)

cr4nky

cr4nky said:
I didn't do it that complicated! I just booted into windows and renamed my windows drive to ".Windows". (without quotes of course). Then you reboot into mac and the drive is hidden ;)

cr4nky

Hi,
I managed to use your method for 2 of my partitions but I have one partition that I can not get to show up in windows in order to rename it. Hence why im trying to hide it from os x.

Just a quick one - I've managed to hide one partition using the fstab method but I don't seem to have a UUID for my Windows 7 System Reserved drive - should I just use the volume name and use:

Label="/Volumes/System Reserved" none ntfs noauto

or

Label=/Volumes/System\Reserved none ntfs noauto

Or are they both the same thing?

Also is this thread maybe worth a sticky?

Sudds said:
Use this code here NotShy.
Code:
LABEL=System\040Reserved none ntfs noauto

Cheers
:clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back