Contribute
Register

hibernation/sleep not working properly

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have also reviewed your OpenCore EFI folder and decided to create a new EFI for your system. Copy attached below.

This new OpenCore EFI is set for your Coffee Lake system, using the following:
  1. iMac19,1 SMBIOS - newly generated and checked agains Apple Support, it is not used by a real Mac.
  2. Intel Framebuffer for IGPU to run in headless mode, alongside natively supported Nvidia dGPU.
  3. Config.plist, kexts, drivers and tools for OpenCore 0.7.9
  4. Resources folder for Acidanthera GoldenGate GUI boot screen.
  5. SecureBootModel for Big Sur/Monterey.
I have removed a number of placeholder entries that the OC developers add, but provide no additional help when used in a Coffee Lake system.

The two EFI folders don't look that different, as can be seen in the two screenshots below.

Screenshot 2022-04-15 at 17.48.17.png Current EFI folder contents.

Screenshot 2022-04-15 at 17.48.29.png New EFI folder contents.

Given my previous post what I have not included in the EFI is your current USBPorts.kext. That would defeat the object of creating a new/clean boot loader, as I see things.

I also removed the AirPortBrcm4360_Injector.kext plugin from AiportBrcmFixup.kext included in the /EFI/OC/Kexts folder. As there are other parts to the AirportBrcmFixup.kext that you weren't using in your previous setup.

I would recommend you do the following:
  1. Copy this EFI folder to the EFI partition on a spare USB pen drive, do not change anything in this EFI.
  2. Boot your system from the pen drive not your normal macOS drive.
  3. Press the F12 key when the Gigabyte screen logo appears and select the UEFI partition on the USB drive from the Bios Boot Menu.
  4. You will need to use the ClearNvram.efi and ResetSystem.efi tools when you get to the OC Boot screen. This is so any previous entries in the Nvram are removed and you don't end up using mixed settings.
  5. These tools will be hidden by default on the OC boot screen, just press the Spacebar to display these and two other tools.
  6. When you use the ResetSystem tool the system will reboot, part of clearing the Nvram.
  7. So you will have to select the USB pen drive from the Bios Boot Menu again, by pressing the F12 key at the correct moment.
  8. When you boot macOS from the pen drive EFI you should see the verbose kext from the system, then the Apple Logo and progress bar. Hopefully this will then result in the Login screen being displayed.
  9. If a KP occurs take a photo and post a copy here so we can see what is causing the kernel panic.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    6.4 MB · Views: 75
I have reviewed your USBPorts.kext/Contents/info.plist and compared this against the USB ports provided by your motherboard.

These are the ports provided by your motherboard.

View attachment 545985

This gives your system a maximum of 20 USB ports. This can be broken down as follows:

• 2 x physical USB2 ports on the rear I/O plate, using the connector type USB2 (0)
  • 2 x USB2 ports from the Internal USB2 motherboard header, using the connector type Internal (255)
  • 6 x physical USB3 ports on the rear I/O plate, all using the connector type USB3 (3)
    • 6 x USB3 ports (physical and
    • 6 x USB2 ports (virtual)
  • 2 x USB3 ports from the Internal USB3 motherboard header port, all using the connector type USB3 (3)
    • 2 x USB3 ports (physical) and
    • 2 x USB2 ports (virtual)
Below is a screenshot showing the connector type for each USB port commonly found in PC's. Your system doesn't contain any Type-c ports, so you don't need to worry about types (9) and (10).

View attachment 545986

Your USBPorts.kext/Contents/info.plist looks like this, with as you previously stated only 13 USB ports being activated.

View attachment 545987 USBPorts.kext/Contents/info.plist, viewed in ProperTree

From the above I see that you have the following set incorrectly.

Ports SS04 and SS05 are both USB3 ports, probably serving the case front ports from the motherboard USB3 header. These are currently set as Internal (255), which is wrong. They should be set as USB3 (3).

All 11 HSxx ports are set as USB3 (3). This is probably correct for some of the ports. But your system does not have that many USB2 virtual ports served from the physical USB3 ports. There should be a maximum of 8 HSxx ports set as USB3, to correspond with the number of physical USB3 ports.

At least 3 of the HSxx ports are incorrectly set with the USB3 connector type. This could be any combination of USB2 physical ports and USB2 Internal header ports. You need to identify which ports are physical USB2 ports, i.e. the two ports on the rear I/O plate and which port(s) are served from the Internal Motherboard header. This Internal Header port could be serving a case front USB2 port, a case front USB2 card reader or an internal Bluetooth module. Only you will know the device being served from the header port and which port(s) are identified in Hackintool when it/they are in use.

If you fix these issues in your USBPorts.kext you are likely to fix the sleep/wake/hibernation issues you are facing. If you don't fix these issues you will continue to encounter these sleep/wake/hibernation issues.

Sorry to say this but I wouldn't recommend using @tedyun USBPorts.kext. As it too is wrong, as can be seen in the screenshot below taken of the info.plist in ProperTree.

View attachment 545988 USBPorts.kext/Contents/info.plist (tedyun's kext)

In this kext all the HSxx ports are set as USB2 (0), when up to 8 of these ports could be USB2 ports served from a physical USB3 port and should be set with the connector type USB3 (3). The 6 x USB3 physical ports are correctly identified and use the USB3 connector type.

What is also lacking from this kext is the correct identification of the Internal (255) port(s) from the USB2 motherboard header. They/it should not be set with the connector type USB2 (0).
Thanks @Edhawk . I think I followed UD guide, so I don't know enough to tweak it. But it may explain why I am having BT connection issues.

How do I set the internal connector?

Thanks

Ted

I have also reviewed your OpenCore EFI folder and decided to create a new EFI for your system. Copy attached below.

This new OpenCore EFI is set for your Coffee Lake system, using the following:
  1. iMac19,1 SMBIOS - newly generated and checked agains Apple Support, it is not used by a real Mac.
  2. Intel Framebuffer for IGPU to run in headless mode, alongside natively supported Nvidia dGPU.
  3. Config.plist, kexts, drivers and tools for OpenCore 0.7.9
  4. Resources folder for Acidanthera GoldenGate GUI boot screen.
  5. SecureBootModel for Big Sur/Monterey.
I have removed a number of placeholder entries that the OC developers add, but provide no additional help when used in a Coffee Lake system.

The two EFI folders don't look that different, as can be seen in the two screenshots below.

View attachment 545993 Current EFI folder contents.

View attachment 545994 New EFI folder contents.

Given my previous post what I have not included in the EFI is your current USBPorts.kext. That would defeat the object of creating a new/clean boot loader, as I see things.

I also removed the AirPortBrcm4360_Injector.kext plugin from AiportBrcmFixup.kext included in the /EFI/OC/Kexts folder. As there are other parts to the AirportBrcmFixup.kext that you weren't using in your previous setup.

I would recommend you do the following:
  1. Copy this EFI folder to the EFI partition on a spare USB pen drive, do not change anything in this EFI.
  2. Boot your system from the pen drive not your normal macOS drive.
  3. Press the F12 key when the Gigabyte screen logo appears and select the UEFI partition on the USB drive from the Bios Boot Menu.
  4. You will need to use the ClearNvram.efi and ResetSystem.efi tools when you get to the OC Boot screen. This is so any previous entries in the Nvram are removed and you don't end up using mixed settings.
  5. These tools will be hidden by default on the OC boot screen, just press the Spacebar to display these and two other tools.
  6. When you use the ResetSystem tool the system will reboot, part of clearing the Nvram.
  7. So you will have to select the USB pen drive from the Bios Boot Menu again, by pressing the F12 key at the correct moment.
  8. When you boot macOS from the pen drive EFI you should see the verbose kext from the system, then the Apple Logo and progress bar. Hopefully this will then result in the Login screen being displayed.
  9. If a KP occurs take a photo and post a copy here so we can see what is causing the kernel panic.
I rewritten the ports, now I have 8 USB 3.0, two usb 2.0 ports and one internal port to which my BT card is connected, it did not help, so I checked your EFI, I reset the NVRAM and then checked with your EFI, except that the BT card stopped working then once the computer went into hibernation, I woke it up, I opened the safari browser, I tried again and the computer turned off again, for literally the same reason, and now the question is whether "CSM Support" which is enabled for the reasons mentioned above cannot cause these problems? Isn't it a problem to use two different RAM bones?

I will add that I carried out the tests with all usb Devices removed

Last edited:
I rewritten the ports, now I have 8 USB 3.0, two usb 2.0 ports and one internal port to which my BT card is connected, it did not help, so I checked your EFI, I reset the NVRAM and then checked with your EFI, except that the BT card stopped working then once the computer went into hibernation, I woke it up, I opened the safari browser, I tried again and the computer turned off again, for literally the same reason, and now the question is whether "CSM Support" which is enabled for the reasons mentioned above cannot cause these problems? Isn't it a problem to use two different RAM bones?

I will add that I carried out the tests with all usb Devices removed
You can test the answer to those questions yourself by changing to the iGPU in the bios, double check you have the right device IDs input in your config.plist to support it first. You should then be able to turn off CSM and be able to boot into OSx and see if sleep works.

You should also be able to pull one of the RAM modules and try running that way, make sure you follow recommendations in your motherboard manual for placement of a single stick.

Last edited:
currently resigning, it is possible that I will try again when I buy a graphics card that supports MacOS Monterey and when I install this system. I can not give up a dedicated graphics card because I have two monitors connected, and I have macOS mainly for editing movies in Final Cut and for creating music in Logic Pro, currently I do not need hibernation so much, it just feels like it would work, but the most important thing is that everything else works for me

Sorry to say this but I wouldn't recommend using @tedyun USBPorts.kext. As it too is wrong, as can be seen in the screenshot below taken of the info.plist in ProperTree.

View attachment 545988 USBPorts.kext/Contents/info.plist (tedyun's kext)

In this kext all the HSxx ports are set as USB2 (0), when up to 8 of these ports could be USB2 ports served from a physical USB3 port and should be set with the connector type USB3 (3). The 6 x USB3 physical ports are correctly identified and use the USB3 connector type.

What is also lacking from this kext is the correct identification of the Internal (255) port(s) from the USB2 motherboard header. They/it should not be set with the connector type USB2 (0).

Hi @Edhawk

I studied the USBPorts of other Golden Builds and I think I figured it out. I reworked my plist. Would you mind checking it over? I would like to release an update to my EFI in my build thread and include the new USBPorts map in it.

Functionally, I don't notice any difference. My BT connection is still intermittent in that once in a while, after a restart, I have to reconnect the BT between my magic mouse and the system.

Thanks

Ted

Attachments

• tedyun 2022-04-18 USBPorts.kext.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 35
How do I set the internal connector?

Using Hackintool if you select the 'connector' name for a specific port, it will show a dropdown list from which you can select the appropriate USB type.

Screenshot 2022-04-18 at 15.42.58.png Example USB tab (Skylake system)

Screenshot 2022-04-18 at 15.42.42.png
Dropdown list of USB connector types available for each port in Hackintool.

If a port has an incorrect connector type, simply select the correct connector from the dropdown list, it will automatically replace the old type. You would then have to re-export the USB configuration, to obtain a new USBPorts.kext. Which can replace the kext with the incorrect configuration in your OC setup.

Your revised USBPorts.kext looks better and from it I can see the following:
  • HS12 is served via the single Internal USB2 header and has your Bluetooth device connected
  • HS09 & HS10 are the 2 x USB2 (Black tang) ports on the rear I/O plate
  • HS01 to HS06 and SS01 to SS06 are served via some of the USB3 ports.
  • These ports appear to be set correctly.
You have disabled the following ports to keep within the 15 port limit:
  • 1 x internal USB2 header port HS11 or HS13, not sure which.
  • 2 x USB2 virtual ports (from pair of USB3 ports)
  • 2 x USB3 physical port.
Did you Reset Nvram and reset the system(reboot) from the OC boot screen before booting in to macOS, after changing the USBPorts.kext? This is usually required to make sure the new settings are used in place of the previous settings.

Hi,

I was reading this post because I'm having a similar issue. I was able to put my computer to sleep but if I wake up after more than 1 minute (of course it was a test, usually you wake up after more than that time), the computer starts like a normal boot and then on the macos desktop i get an error with a report of Sleep Wake failure in EFI.

I'm attaching my EFI folder. I want to add that I have Fast Boot, Secure Boot, Serial port, VT-d, CSM, Intel Platform Trust and CFC Lock disabled on the BIOS.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    33.7 MB · Views: 25
I have an update. I noticed the problems appears after the first sleep. So, If i am using the computer and put it to sleep, wakes up good but if i repeat the same it doesn't and i got the error Sleep Wake failure in EFI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back