Contribute
Register

HenrikN's Build GIGABYTE H97N-WIFI, i5-4670K, XFX R9 280X

Status
Not open for further replies.
The H97N BIOS has been updated to F3, but all the download links are broken. Supposedly was posted on June 4, so nobody has corrected it yet.

Update: I had to click on the Asia download link to get the F3 BIOS. See the smallest type notes on the above page for that solution.

Hi!

I'm planning to build a somewhat similar system.
It seems like I can't purchase the H87N-WiFi anymore, so I'm gonna have to go with a H97N-WiFi.
You said you only have problems with video and audio-things that shouldn't be a problem for me since I'm gonna build the system with a GTX 780 Superclocked card, and my headphones are connected to the computer via USB.
Otherwise, sleep, ethernet, etc works, right?

Cheers, Haber

Yes, apart from audio, things are OK. Sleep works without issues.

Just as a heads up...plan on using a graphics card with the 9 series motherboards for the foreseeable future. Intel's new 9 series chipset is not working with OS X for use with Intel Integrated (on-board) Graphics. We're looking into several solutions, but for the time being, use a graphics card.

Update: For those of you who are reading this thread, but are not going to use a discrete graphics card, see http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...ifi-using-hd4600-no-graphics-card-needed.html

A GTX780 should work fine, shouldn't it?

There's a couple of GT640 around here.

There's the DDR3 2G model, and the DDR5 1G model.

I heard the DDR5 might be better, but most web pages on hackintosh mention the ddr3.
Plus the Asus DDR5 is a lot thinner and might fit better in my case.

Would they be the same to my hackintosh or would the ddr5 not work so well?

IRT the Intel ethernet not working until after the Realtek driver was installed... I encountered something very similar. Upgraded drivers on Z87 board, and the Intel ethernet port would only pull a 169 IP address (self assigned). After installing the Realtek driver, same happened, but live unplugging from one port to the other, and suddenly both ports started pulling proper addresses via DHCP.

Ok, I ordered the gt640 DDR5 following advice. That should take care of QE.

I've got my WIFI by adding a Buffalo wifi router I had laying around. I set it as an extender, and plugged an ethernet cable from it to the computer. Easy.... and leaves the PCIe opened for my graphic card.

Sound is handled by a USB audio interface (had a small Art USBDualPre) which gives me inputs and outputs.

So, that leaves me with the USB bug.... and that's a biggie! If I power on with the USB audio, I'm fine. If I disconnect it, or try to add a USB drive, I get system freeze.

That's the last bug, but the most important!

Anyone else has trouble with USB on their H97N-WIFI board?

Forgot to add: I tried using the Mac Pro 3,1 profile, but I couldn't boot. Choosing the iMac 14,1, I was able to boot.

EDIT:
Looks like the combination of removing HWMonitor and the new HD4600 patch resolved my issues. so far.
I have QE, and I have been plugging and unplugging USB things and I didn't get a single freeze/crash yet.

Adding to the goodies, I also have full sleep / wake.

Time to go to bed with a smile on my face...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back