Contribute
Register

Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could a $20.00 purchase of Mountain Lion, have avoided rendering a $130 motherboard useless ?

dougiefreshcoh

No I don't think so ( and I should Know a thing or two : but I still keep learning)

Surprised you not thinking of running a Snow Leopard System 10.6.x which should support some of the 10.4 stuff - or have patches to the software that would enable it ( its the 32/64 bit thing)

Question was your 10.4 for intel hardware or motorola :

Also Sandy Bridge is supported in SL ( not Ivy though)

IN reading the last post - how old is that power supply - age causes the filter caps to fail ( heat and usage) this can cause the capacitor to prematurely discharge and but a large voltage spike ( DC) on the motherboard killing it.

If your PSU is not a Spec 80 unit suggest a replacement ASAP - don't need a monster PSU just cover the basics.

As to Video - suggest we dig in the parts bin ( friends house salvage goodwill electronic recycling center etc ) or in older computers ( luv em) for a nVidia GT 9xxx series GFX cards w DVI ports (at least one DVI port - as VGA is dead to OSX) -
Look for a GT 9400 GT 9500 GT 9600 GTX or GT 9800

Usage of VGA was ok in 10.4 but after 10.6 no...Apple went digital. Means you should use a DVI cable to the monitor now. ( heck you may need to use both if you keep 10.4 and switch at monitor ) Selector switch on inputs.

Reason is that these GFX cards are supported across all three versions OSX 10.6 10.7 10.8 ( this I know for sure ) and Tiger as well ( I think)

Your current choices in video are not well supported in all osx's versions.

Thanks for the reply totenkopf4,

I'll address things as listed in your post.

don't understand (intel or motorola) it is a PNY 16gb USB
utilizing personal Lion 10.7 apple thumb drive

I thought of purchasing Snow leopard
- I didn't purchase it to upgrade from Tiger to Lion
- Apple tech support via phone call & genius bar in store,
both told me I couldn't skip OS, but I did with my MacBook.

I purchased a brand new 650w Corsair psu
- had best buy geek squad check it out, it is good according to them

I realize that my un-willingness to install the video card may or may not
have contributed to this current problem -uncertain-
yes I have the evga 660ti, still in the box : received it march 25, 2013

Was having issues as stated in previous posts so I prolonged installing the video card.

I'll also point this out, compiling various builds with similar success and attempting
a hackintosh build for the first time a more step by step guide would be useful.

example: when building the USB following the Lion unibeast guide
but that doesn't work by itself one needs to apply a bridgehelper to the USB
Then one needs to enter terminal commands.
Then once into the install hard drive, one needs to then run multibeast.

But is there more that I'm missing which may have been the down fall.
- also not certain why everything worked fine after I ran multibeast (shutdown)
installed my 2 (2tb) seagate hard drives (turned machine back on)
plugged in my two external 2tb usb 3.0 to transfer data onto seagate drives.
transferred at ~75 mb/s , so left that run over night. ejected the external drives (ok)
Shut down the machine and went to turn it back on a day later and nothing.

(sure I could have installed the video card when I installed the harddrives, but things where running okay - i thought , obviously missed something)

dougiefreshcoh

No I don't think so ( and I should Know a thing or two : but I still keep learning)

Surprised you not thinking of running a Snow Leopard System 10.6.x which should support some of the 10.4 stuff - or have patches to the software that would enable it ( its the 32/64 bit thing)

Question was your 10.4 for intel hardware or motorola :

Also Sandy Bridge is supported in SL ( not Ivy though)

IN reading the last post - how old is that power supply - age causes the filter caps to fail ( heat and usage) this can cause the capacitor to prematurely discharge and but a large voltage spike ( DC) on the motherboard killing it.

If your PSU is not a Spec 80 unit suggest a replacement ASAP - don't need a monster PSU just cover the basics.

As to Video - suggest we dig in the parts bin ( friends house salvage goodwill electronic recycling center etc ) or in older computers ( luv em) for a nVidia GT 9xxx series GFX cards w DVI ports (at least one DVI port - as VGA is dead to OSX) -
Look for a GT 9400 GT 9500 GT 9600 GTX or GT 9800

Usage of VGA was ok in 10.4 but after 10.6 no...Apple went digital. Means you should use a DVI cable to the monitor now. ( heck you may need to use both if you keep 10.4 and switch at monitor ) Selector switch on inputs.

Reason is that these GFX cards are supported across all three versions OSX 10.6 10.7 10.8 ( this I know for sure ) and Tiger as well ( I think)

Your current choices in video are not well supported in all osx's versions.

The 10.4 was purchased as combo from Apple Store, 10.4 with MS Office 2005, Macbook 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.5 Gb 533 MHz Ram, 150 Gb hard drive. Originally only 1 Gb Ram, i upgraded one (.5 Gb) to a 2 Gb. Initially for faster speed within SimCity 4, probably helped when I installed Lion 10.7 Thumb drive. I've only gone through one power chord, the battery is going so there is some need to fix or replace this soon.
- This is my current laptop personal computer, going on near 6 yrs old, running 10.7.5! didn't purchase leopard or snow leopard!

Think i found a possible reason for my mobo fail.
I didn't apply a bridge helper &/or update the OS X to the internal Hard drive. :banghead:

as found #6 here:: http://www.tonymacx86.com/lion-desktop-support/58452-z77x-ud5h-i7-3770-install-troubles.html

I don't understand the reason for the mobo working after I ran multibeast and turned off to install the internal drives.
And, removed the Unibeast USB. Then turned back on and ran disk utility on the two new Seagate drives and copied data.
Then the mobo failing a day later when trying to turn on the machine. : Hope the RAM & Processor are not defective as well.
or affected by this, well at least newegg is returning my mobo asap :beachball: (UPS),
hope to have machine back together by ...

Update: mobo was recieved and an email was sent stating the user had bent CPU pins on the motherboard.
I called newegg, they said they would look into it further and send confirming pics (monday 15). Newegg sent email
stating that the wrong return # associated with email was sent by mistake, newegg still looking into mobo problem. (tues 16)
still in limbo @ newegg , no contact from newegg, :beachball:. (monday 22)

Also, should I reformat the Lion partition?
from following choices...
a.) possible reformat SSD with firmware update for MAC from Sandisk
b.) reformat the Lion partition from the Unibeast USB install disk utility boot
c.) neither, boot into Lion and apply OS 10.7.5 update, Bridge Helper 4.0 and Multibeast

Well, got the mobo back from newegg.
Found new issue, when 3.0 usb is plugged into mobo, there is a power problem (unclear behavior) sum it up when the case 3.0 ports are connected to the mobo the mobo light goes out no power, disconnect 3.0 ports and remove and replace cmos battery and mobo light comes back on.

Everything else works, fans, leds, hard drive, NVIDIA EVGA 660 ti 2gb video card, DVD drive. with strange oddity video out is via HDMI -EVGA and the screen view is window(ed) within the HDTV screen.

As I don't really need that many 3.0 USB ports, just leaving disconnected!

Also, still not able to install lion 10.7 via unibeast usb.

on MacBook
1. create unibeast (1.7.0) with lion thumb drive (10.7) from apple store
2. apply bridge helper 3.0 to USB (4.0 & 5.0 don't see SSD i don't know why, 4 should right?)

on Custom PC
3. Boot into unibeast USB & disk utility partition GUID
4. install mac os x to (lion) drive {restart}
5. enter terminal via USB & rm /Volumes/lion/mach_kernel
cp /Volumes/USB/mach_kernel/Volumes/lion/
(if you try this step before #4 it can't find files message)
6. Boot USB & choose lion {FAIL MESSAGE: can't find :: system restarts
- sometimes restarts chimera load screen USB & lion : choose USB and it starts up LION 10.7 installation welcome screen, no choice or uncertain which drive (USB or SSD) 10.7 is installed on: can only asume USB because when choosing lion option {Can't find error message}, even when restarting machine and booting from SSD.
7. power switch turn off, restart boot into USB @ Chimera boot screen (sit baffled and confused) :confused:
8. repeat step #3 & recycle (x5) except all of #6 no sense reinstalling 10.7 over and over on USB.

even tried older find of unibeast 1.2.0 for lion 10.7 thumb drive with bridge helper 3.0
same results.
HELP!!

um, re created USB, unibeast 1.4.0 & BH 3.0
did du, terminal, reboot to USB ..... screen went straight to Lion install screen
installed..... applied BH 3.0, multibeast 4.7.0 (as http://www.tonymacx86.com/lion-desk...-gigabyte-ga-z77x-ud5h-install-testing-8.html) no audio selected.

ejected usb to insert another usb with 10.7.4 update, bh 4.0 & bh 5.0 and other apps to apply ....
---literally turned around pc turned OFF.
so went to turn back on via main power, fans & leds flicker and nothing.
turned off power supply, turned back on pushed power .... same flicker.
turned off, video card remove + cmos battery removal reinstall , turned power supply on, .... flicker. (*note tried turning on with mobo power button with case power wires not connected, only video card installed, cpu fan and back case fan connected. the back fan, power supply fan & video card fans spun up for a second then off they went the cpu fan didn't spin & the mobo mini led display is black.
no noises .... just sadness.)

um.... my pc is a paperweight?

:confused:

UniBeast 1.7.0 is the only supported version using any previous version will result in you not getting any help.

UniBeast 1.7.0 is the only supported version using any previous version will result in you not getting any help.

Thank you... I knew that, issue was purely visual (i.e. screen shots vary)
same with multibeast.

But neither are the "root" problem.

I think it may have been the kid, uncertain.
i'll explain, took everything apart rebuilt on cardboard desktop. mobo, cpu, ram, power supply, video card all work fine.
noticed while in the tower that a wire looked funny. Did some wire trace and it is to the case & based upon wire layout inside (possibly audio or mic: uncertain)
this wire connects to the power supply 4 pin connector, the wire is split near the inside top of tower area and in contact with the case.

So new captain obvious reason for why the pc randomly shut down.

And thanks for the info on what is or isn't supported.

Thinkin.

When i get the tower case back from best buy.

Gonna drop the $20.00 for 10.8 Mountain Lion
-for build use only, { Called Apple: "your 2005 MacBook with it's current components will not be able to run 10.8. .. It might work if you upgrade the RAM but that is questionable. Could we transfer you to sales, for you to purchase a new MacBook or MacPro with 10.8? ..
You can always visit our Apple.com store to personalize an Apple computer, have a good day." }

- and explicitly follow slugnet's guide @
http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...-i7-3770k-gigabyte-geforce-gtx-660-ti-46.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back