Motherboard
Multimedia - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7-3770k
Graphics
(2) 660 ti 02G-P4-3664-KR
Mac
  1. MacBook
To begin I'm a first time pc builder and Hackintosher.

Reason for build: To apply what I was taught in a computer build and repair class, and to attempt a Hackintosh build of my own. Currently operating on a 2004 - 2005 MacBook Intel duo core 160 gb hard drive with 2.5 gb RAM
I've been Triple booting with the mac book : Windows 7, Tiger and Lion. Most data (iTunes music, SimCity files, {yFlick movies, Pictures, Home Videos}) are on external drives specifically 3 different external drives and each is backed up via time machine to another 3 drives. The machine is in working order but is slow for obvious reasons.

I am trying to follow similar builds to these three forum posts.
1. [SUCCESS] Another Slugnet clone [GA-Z77X-UD5H, i7-3770K, 660Ti MSI Power ed., 500R]
2. Intel i7 3770k + Gigabyte GA-Z77x-UD5H install and testing
3. Slugnet's Video Editor - GA-Z77X-UD5H, i7-3770k, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Ti

What I own prior to build: (2012)
OSX 10.7 Lion USB Thumb drive
OSX 10.4.8 Tiger (2 disk purchased 2004 - 2005) & Apple MacBook Intel duo
Windows 7 Professional
Logitech Wireless mouse multimedia keyboard combo (purchased 2003)
SimCity 4 deluxe for MAC (runs great on Tiger - crashes in Lion) disk version
Microsoft Office:MAC student edition (runs on Tiger - not compatible with Lion)
yFlicks (similar to iTunes but just for movies) Has updated to Usher (manytricks.com)
BeaTunes (creates based upon library analysis a more varied playlist selection than genius)

The Build: (2013)
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU: i7 3770k Ivy Bridge
Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX Hydro Series
RAM: 32 gb Corsair
Hard drives: {#1} SanDisk extreme 128 gb SSD
{#2, 3} Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Case: Corsair White Carbide 500 R
Power Supply: 650 w Corsair
Video Card: (2x) EVGA 660 ti ftw sig 2 02G-P4-3664-KR
{http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130837}

Overall Objective: Goal a faster personal computer, as my MB is aging.
{#1} OSX 10.7.5 (current version running on a 2004/2005 MacBook)
{#2} OSX 10.4.8 Tiger for SimCity 4 and Microsoft Office (running on second partition of MB)
{#3} Windows 7 for school program not compatible with OS X (CISCO Packet tracer){third sec MB}

Pics.

corsair.jpeg
The Corsair 500r White. ^

Custom art applied.

profile.jpg

*EDIT (2014)
I found a friend who was willing to help me build a Yosemite 10.10.2/ MultiBeast/unibeast Flash drive

this helped

I was running Lion 10.7.5 with minimal issues (No internet connection.)
(no chess, couldn't restart from within desktop had to use buttons)

Followed update guide(s) for updating from { lion to ML, ML to Mavericks, Mavericks to Yosemite}
Did not update BIOS (or change any settings), also have to enter (-f -F -v) at boot screen, tried different combinations. The system when booting with just -v hangs and fails a bluetooth load. But with the entered -f -F -v the system boots ~ normally ~

Successfully got to Yosemite setup and ran MultiBeast used same options as Slugnet Video Golden build.
Had issues with sound, ran my with VoodooHDA (v)(0.2.1, 0.2.2, 0.2.56, 0.2.61, 2.7.2) restart after each build of just one kext. sound works out of green port and in sys shows front mic and other port info

Wasn't sure which sys def to pick so picked 3.1

I'll add physical & sys photos soon!

Items that work: Apple chess, Timemachine, (2) 660 ti seen in system, screensaver, sleep, wake from sleep, and shutdown/restart within machine previously had to push the power or reset button. running Lion 10.7.5 with minimal issues (No internet connection.)
(no chess, couldn't restart from within desktop had to use buttons)

Followed update guide(s) for updating from { lion to ML, ML to Mavericks, Mavericks to Yosemite}
Did not update BIOS (or change any settings), also have to enter (-f -F -v) at boot screen, tried different combinations. The system when booting with just -v hangs and fails a bluetooth load. But with the entered -f -F -v the system boots ~ normally ~

Successfully got to Yosemite setup and ran MultiBeast used same options as Slugnet Video Golden build.
Had issues with sound, ran my with VoodooHDA (v)(0.2.1, 0.2.2, 0.2.56, 0.2.61, 2.7.2) restart after each build of just one kext. sound works out of green port and in sys shows front mic and other port info

Wasn't sure which sys def to pick so picked 3.1

I'll add physical & sys photos soon!

Items that work: Apple chess, Timemachine, (2) 660 ti seen in system, screensaver, sleep, wake from sleep, and shutdown/restart within machine previously had to push the power or reset button.

Have only software issue:
1. DVD player failure, But can read DVD/CD's.

UPDATE (2015): just prior to Apple release of El Capitan obtained internet connection and updated to 10.10.5 system is stable. Purchased/installed H110i cooler prior to update.

Added Logitech K750 MAC solar, M525. STEAM: Portal 2, Simcity 4 (NAM 32 for MAC) works!
Added to this post a year reference as timeline sequence

Last edited:
The Updater:

I've purchased and built the machine. Following a variety of guides and similar builds.
I understand that there are differences but as suggested not every build is exactly the same.

Running Bios factory set at F14 not certain how this affects the build.

I've created the Unibeast Lion USB, with bridge helper 3.0 (4.0, 5.0 don't see the SSD)

Had to update SanDisk Firmware for MAC compatibility.

attempting the OSX Lion 10.7 install first, more difficult install, I'm a noob.
because Windows 7 is natively compatible therefore easier to install.

Can Chimera boot into USB and partition SSD.

Update, April 18, 2013.... still waiting for my mobo, so i've decided to work on the external visual case.
I purchased the Corsair 500r white case. Well mostly white. So, i've decided to white spray paint some of the exterior. The removable top, and the large side grate with 200 mm fan. NO, not painting the fan as it is clear and has blue LED lighting.
I've also determined that i'm not painting the front of the case due to the non-removable filter, and USB & power electronic area. Those would require more skill or knowledge for this to be painted.

first issue I found was using a 10.7 Lion Thumb drive, with wrong bridge helper.
and that the SanDisk SSD needed a firmware update for MAC

Fixed the second. Still working on the USB Unibeast issues.

Issue is that after initial load into USB and partition of SSD successful.
I can't login to Terminal to enter commands ... don't understand why this is.

Realizing that I don't know MAC as well as others.

Still stuck trying to Login to the Terminal.

I learned that typing login prompts terminal asking for
user name login: I enter my MacBook username (hit enter)
"permission denied - wrong username" (used # of variations, failing)

searching google for help with terminal.

AFAIK running tiger on a sandy bridge machine is not possible, so Ivy Bridge should be a lesson in futility.

You're welcome to prove me wrong though. :)

AFAIK running tiger on a sandy bridge machine is not possible, so Ivy Bridge should be a lesson in futility.

You're welcome to prove me wrong though. :)

It is more of an "ideal" than I think reality can allow.

Some on Simtropolis.com have stated that the intel patch for Sim City 4 does work with the "vanilla version" of the game. This and patience with the NAM mod for the game (certain parts don't work). I refuse to purchase Sim City 5 (2013) until EA - Origin fix the requirement to be always online &/or the unstated time in which the server will be turned off and the game rendered useless.
And my available time to test on my 2005 Intel MacBook running Lion 10.7.5 (I haven't retried since updating and the game first crashing on me) So, I dual boot into Tiger to play when time permits and utilize MS Office 2010 for MAC. Also, time goes on and small things that drew my attention get pushed further down the road.

Lion for me provides a backup via Timemachine and unique features in Autominator that i've utilized.
I don't like not being able to use my MacBook while a process like Autominator is running.
Therefore building this machine provides me with the challenge of a first PC build and the possibility of running OS on it via Hackintosh.

With this build: the plan is to not have to connect so many different drives into my MacBook and change timemachine settings.
To save my various files.
While at the same time speeding up the processes that take place with a program like Autominator. With the use of a program called Usher (manytricks.com). Create a personalized movie & tv channel.

it is my money and i put it toward things that will last atleast 5+ yrs. not needing constant upgrading.
And, to further this point: note that I went from Tiger 10.4 to Lion 10.7 upgrade (apple and those "geniuses" said it couldn't be done but I did it.) and trying to avoid purchasing Mountain Lion 10.8 cause I don't see the benefit yet.
But also note that Apple states somewhere that MacBooks pre 2009 won't run ML, so physical hardware may be an issue as well.

-try to describe the rationale of purchasing all the components and the building of a new PC to run OS X 10.7.5,
when one has a working MAC? (beyond cosmetic and speed)

I found the "root" problem. I failed to create the USB correctly.
found my help for fix @ http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=62757
Recreated the USB with current UniBeast and Bridge helper 3.0
ran it, ran the terminal commands and... Success!

Followed Slugnet multi beast setup & legacy post. still good.

Until I installed my 2 (2tb) seagate internal hard drives partitioned great
and copy - pasted movies, iTunes music. Let it run this copy process overnight.
Turned the machine off after ejecting the external drives safely. Saturday April 6, 2013

Went to turn it on Monday morning April 7, 2013 and nothing....
Truly NOTHING... the motherboard power light is OFF.
(thought it was the kid turned off the main power switch or the power strip)
NEITHER. took the machine into Best Buy's Geek Squad and they are certain the
Motherboard is toasted. Had them check the power supply, RAM, hard drives, and case
All those checked in working order. GS couldn't check the processor :(.
So frantically went on to my newegg.com account to issue a replacement because
the one month to return time is nearly there (April 10, 2013). Sent that motherboard back this afternoon.
HOPE my processor is okay.

Don't know what went sidewayz!

HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back