Contribute
Register
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this may sound like a stupid question... I am new to this whole concept of a Hackintosh... But i love it!!!
I just picked up PowerMac g5 which i loved for a long time. Even in 2016 the case is so futuristic. My question is if anyone can point me in the right direction ? of what parts i need / more info to get started. I primary want this machine for music production (edm/house/techno) I viewed a bunch of youtube videos and was directed to this forum. I know it might be challenging to do something like this because i never messed around with Mac's only PC... and i getting bored of my pc lol... Can someone please help or point me in the right direction.

Thank you everyone

There's not much you can do with a PPC G5. You can stay with OSX 10.5.8 or install Linux on it. The big problem is the availability of updated browsers - they're all 32bit and are no longer supported. I wouldn't do any banking, bill paying or purchasing on it. (Never use an ATM card on the Internet.) There may be some Linux distros still being kept up to date on PPC Macs. (I'm still trying to get Linux working on my old G4, and years ago I had Linux running on my G3.)

Had it been a MAC Pro then you could have changed the video card and then installed Mavericks, Yosemite or El Capitan on it. But Mac Pro ECC memory is expensive, unless you paid $400 - $600 for one on Craigslist with more than 8G of memory, preferably at least 16GB, and a bargain if it came with 32G.

YouTube NJu_KmN3MSI (Copy/paste into Google search box)
Ubuntu PPC is 14.04, iirc, which is still being supported.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back