Contribute
Register

Help with understanding a bootlog.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm off for the night, talk tomorrow.

Morning @Edhawk

Firstly thank you as always for your considerable support. - You have really opened my eyes here. I had no idea a kext could be customised to this extent. I thought the heavy lifting was all in the config and ssdts...

reset nvram -Loaded the custom ALC - tried layout-id=3 and alcid=3 - on both I just get one line out and Digital Out in sound prefs. no sound though sadly

In your screenshot of the info plist I noticed under the settings it states layout id 7 . I tried alcid=7 and get the 3 line outs and one digital but no sound.

Just one thing I should mention - late last night I took a look at bios settings - audio support is set to enable - is that right? - Ive answered this question by trying it - when disabled theres no mb audio options.

reset NVRAM again and booted with alcid=1 again. This time three line outs and one digital out is available same as alcid=7. This wasn't the case first time. weird.....still no output though

Attachments

• EdALC.png
    EdALC.png
    136.1 KB · Views: 47
  • alcid=7.png
    alcid=7.png
    79.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
The Bios setting is for when you want to completely disable the built-in audio device, usually when you are using an external or PCIe audio device and the built-in device conflicts with the external.

I was going to suggest you use alcid=7, having just reviewed the kext edits.

Can you answer these questions:
  1. Which speakers are you using?
  2. How are you connecting your speakers?
  3. Which cable type are you using?
  4. Which port are you connecting to?
  5. Does the HDMI device provide sound, via the built-in speakers on the TV/display?
  6. I assume you know there will be no volume control for the HDMI output from within macOS, that you need to use the volume controls on the TV remote or display with the built-in speakers.

1, 2 & 3
I have a powered speaker which Im feeding with a stereo 3.5mm cable. I can hear the connection is live at both ends. I know this because If I plug or unplug each end there is a crackle on connection. Also there is a pop and low level noise once OS boots - (this is not unusual ) I should say that pro audio is my field.

4. Green out - I have tried others, but not for a couple of days.

5. Yes - works fine. Ive checked it on every version we have created. Its consistent
6. yes

I looked at hackintool on alcid=1 and the config info has disappeared on the sound tab

OK, that is what I was hoping you would tell me.

If you booted with alcid=7, the alcid=1 option would disappear. This is the expected behaviour when changing id's. You should however see the info for the alcid=7 ports, as per the edited pin configuration.

Hi @Edhawk
This is crazy - went back to alcid=7 after resetting nvram. Doing this every time now.
This time I have a different set of available channels than this morning...still no sound - sorry theres three pics but I can't open up hackintool to display all pin configs in one png. This time round sound pref picked up two analog outs/headphones/Digital out x 1

after this above - I swapped out the audio cable even though I feel confident its ok -just in case - theres more noise on the alternate cable (not proper audio)- cable 1 was like an older iPhone cable that's compatible with stereo 3.5mm. Cable 2 is a 3.5mm to XLR (for the speaker side)

I did wonder if its worth me picking up a windows 10 license and installing it to a drive to check default operation however I read you need to disconnect all other drives to install which would be a real headache. Just looking at ruling out a fault....Im not a windows guy - always Mac -

Attachments

• alcid7 top.png
    alcid7 top.png
    383.5 KB · Views: 46
  • ALC7 Mid..png
    ALC7 Mid..png
    184.4 KB · Views: 49
  • alcid7 bot.png
    alcid7 bot.png
    277 KB · Views: 48
  • alcid7 sound.png
    alcid7 sound.png
    91.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Hi @Edhawk

I have spent the last couple of days getting hold of a usb installer for windows 10. I discovered its not easy to make one from a mac.

Im having a great deal of trouble installing it to a drive. I think the intel chipset drivers may require an update. Hard to tell the real prob as the installer is generally unhelpful. Im loathed update the chipset drivers as im worried updating that this might break the Mac Os side of things. Not sure if its a legitimate concern or not as Im not PC conversant.

As you know the only reason - although it wouldn't hurt to have windows, was to test audio. anyway i bought a windows 10 pro license. what do you think?

Last edited:
loaded windows finally - having a few issues with suitable realtek drivers at present and Im very slow in windows - so hard to find where they put things like utilities....hopefully i can report something useful tomorrow....

Hi @Edhawk
so I now have a dual boot system.
Turns out windows 10 has a well known issue with analog outs connecters not being seen . Spent loads of time experimenting with windows Realtek drivers and the various fixs to no avail . see https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-jack-in/47b76d62-5dc6-49dc-be09-500366fb8f97

what I have established is that the digital outs work in windows as they have vu showing activity.
This morning I booted Mac OS and found I have two line outs , headphones and one Digital out from the MB but no sound. Booted a second time and theres 3 line outs and no headphone out....

I hope you aren't fed up with this -(I am ) As I don't use these connections often since I have TB methods for system audio out and Dante methods, can I move on to the thunderbolt issue with your assistance?

Last edited:
Hi @Edhawk
so I now have a dual boot system.
Turns out windows 10 has a well known issue with analog outs connecters not being seen . Spent loads of time experimenting with windows Realtek drivers and the various fixs to no avail . see https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-jack-in/47b76d62-5dc6-49dc-be09-500366fb8f97

what I have established is that the digital outs work in windows as they have vu showing activity.
This morning I booted Mac OS and found I have two line outs , headphones and one Digital out from the MB but no sound. Booted a second time and theres 3 line outs and no headphone out....

I hope you aren't fed up with this -(I am ) As I don't use these connections often since I have TB methods for system audio out and Dante methods, can I move on to the thunderbolt issue with your assistance?
One thing to note is the ALC,kext info plist also has a ID #, so when changing your OC plist value make sure to also change it in the ALC info plist.
Another thing is there are several versions of each kext in the original ALC kext. They ID numbers can range from 0-100(?) for the same ALCxxx version. You might just try 1,3,5,7,9,11,13 etc. Then 0,2,4,6,8 etc. Or, you could look through the info plist and sort out which codecs have been assigned a ID number.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back