Contribute
Register

Help with TP-Link WDN4800

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need lots of cores (I'm a render monkey) so I have long had the battle of 1 fast CPU with fewer cores, or to have dual CPU's with a slower clock speed but more cores/threads. The render package i use likes lots of cores and fully utilises turbo mode

What platform would you go for? I thought the hardships were more related to the chipsets rather than the CPU and the added peripherals

I need lots of cores (I'm a render monkey) so I have long had the battle of 1 fast CPU with fewer cores, or to have dual CPU's with a slower clock speed but more cores/threads. The render package i use likes lots of cores and fully utilises turbo mode

What platform would you go for? I thought the hardships were more related to the chipsets rather than the CPU and the added peripherals

Chipset goes with the socket.

Chipset goes with the socket.

Ahhh, this much is true, my last two builds were C602/2011 both were a royal pain in the preverbal, the Z77/1155 was a doddle to get working with a 4790k but sadly no dual 1155 boards :(

Martin

Well it looks like I have to admit defeat with this setup. I have tried different SMBios settings with fresh installs for each, Clover and Unibeast/Chimera/Chameleon boot-loaders and all to no avail... The base unit itself is wonderfully stable with ML and Mavericks, but the failed audio and the way the WiFi is knocked out at a hardware level by a kext that this system seems to require above all others, sadly makes this build, "not good enough" - I will however continue to use it for a few weeks until I can make up my mind which way to jump next.... :)

On a more positive note, I am getting really quick at setting up installations, and my knowledge is improving a little, but showing I still have lots to learn with alternative kexts

Martin

Still fighting to at least get the WiFi working - I get this error now, can anybody tell me which element is nagging. I understand that it's asking for a version 3.1, but with so many different references to drivers and plugins i am lost as to which one is responsible ...

Mar 20 22:47:25 localhost kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros40 - library kext com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily not compatible with requested version 3.1.

Mar 20 22:47:25 localhost kernel[0]: Can't load kext com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros40 - failed to resolve library dependencies.
Mar 20 22:47:25 localhost kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros40 failed to load (0xdc00800e).
Mar 20 22:47:25 localhost kernel[0]: Failed to load kext com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros40 (error 0xdc00800e).
Mar 20 22:47:25 localhost kernel[0]: Couldn't alloc class "AirPort_AtherosNewma40"

Any help appreciated

Martin

Is there a proper way to inject a 'plugin' kext into a family one ?

I experimented last night and if i drop/copy AirPortAtheros40.kext into IONetworkingFamily.kext/PlugIns followed by touch /S*/L*/E* on reboot it does start to load and access the WiFi card but then freezes up, si it's pretty obvious I have goofed it somewhere ... Do i need to edit a plist or something ?

Martin

Is there a proper way to inject a 'plugin' kext into a family one ?

I experimented last night and if i drop/copy AirPortAtheros40.kext into IONetworkingFamily.kext/PlugIns followed by touch /S*/L*/E* on reboot it does start to load and access the WiFi card but then freezes up, si it's pretty obvious I have goofed it somewhere ... Do i need to edit a plist or something ?

Martin

You should fix your IOPCIFamily.kext problem instead of trying to play tricks.

AirPortAtheros40.kext is already in IO80211Family.kext. Not a good idea to have duplicates...

It seems possible your IOPCIFamily.kext is one built from modified sources.

I'm reminded of this post by Andy Vandijck: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...nv-v2-and-iopccardfamily-48-anv-for-yosemite/

You should fix your IOPCIFamily.kext problem instead of trying to play tricks.

AirPortAtheros40.kext is already in IO80211Family.kext. Not a good idea to have duplicates...

It seems possible your IOPCIFamily.kext is one built from modified sources.

I'm reminded of this post by Andy Vandijck:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/top...-for-yosemite/

Yeah the IOPCIFamily I have was done by NETKAS by the looks of things (Hex Editor) Shows as the user and his/her local path name in the binary, So i chased after that, they have done nothing with it since Mountain Lion release and there is no response to the comments left by others, so I guess the developer has moved on to other projects of interest.

I tried rebuilding it from the sources but it just seems to be identical to the native Apple version after completing so what was 430+K gets shrunk back to 236K and fails to boot.

I aint no pro at coding so I don't know if it is possible to put the IO80211 as a part of its needed modules, but at least it was fun for a few hours of playing, but a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing, and my playing soon broke my build again :p

Interesting link too, but yes that does indeed seem to be similar to what i have here. Assists everything else on the motherboard, but does not detect the Wifi or just ignores it as wi-fi does not appear to be in the source anywhere.... Wish i knew more :/

Martin

Interesting link too, but yes that does indeed seem to be similar to what i have here. Assists everything else on the motherboard, but does not detect the Wifi or just ignores it as wi-fi does not appear to be in the source anywhere.... Wish i knew more :/

Your WiFi problem is that the IOPCIFamily does not have the version markers (for dependencies, OSBundleLibraries) that are required. If you're using an IOPCIFamily from Yosemite that particular requirement should be satisfied, provided the OSBundleVersion is new enough. AirPortAtheros40.kext requires IOPCIFamily v2.8 or later.

Your WiFi problem is that the IOPCIFamily does not have the version markers (for dependencies, OSBundleLibraries) that are required. If you're using an IOPCIFamily from Yosemite that particular requirement should be satisfied, provided the OSBundleVersion is new enough. AirPortAtheros40.kext requires IOPCIFamily v2.8 or later.

Definitely - I did notice it needed at least v2.8 IOPCIF so i did try the lazy route and changed the version markers in the plist files, it didn't break it, but it still made no difference either - lol ... Always worth a try though.

If i use vanilla IOPCIF then the computer slows to a crawl both on 10.9 or 10.10 versions, i get one character a second when typing my password, if it gets through to the desktop then i can't open finder or safari and after a few mins the screen will flash white and then i am back to the login screen and having to reboot. -x fixes the lag issues but then the external data drives are missing, no usb audio and other failures. The guide i followed finished with ML 10.8.5. I could drop back to ML but then everything has to go legacy mode and pretty much all my apps are in danger of becoming unsupported. I think once Yosemite breaks 10.10 versions I won't get updates beyond 10.9

It's all very frustrating, but way too much fun trying to fix things :)

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back