Motherboard
ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS
CPU
Dual E5-2680 v1
Graphics
GTX660 Ti
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Anybody else having this problem and know how to fix it?

If i boot using Unibeast USB, let it run until install OS X screen, I can see and use Wi-Fi card so i know it works.

If I boot from my OS X partition the adapter is not seen at all. It don't show in System Prefs/Network, I can't add it, and if i try any terminal commands it reports back 'You cannot set Wi-Fi power because all AirPort network services are disabled'

I am at a complete loss and have no idea what to try. IOReg output included incase it helps. Search for 168C in the ioReg file to find the WDN4800 which is listed as Ar93xx Wireless Network Adapter with DPCMIM

Martin

Attachments

• Martin’s Mac Pro.ioreg.zip
    852.7 KB · Views: 57
Anybody else having this problem and know how to fix it?

If i boot using Unibeast USB, let it run until install OS X screen, I can see and use Wi-Fi card so i know it works.

If I boot from my OS X partition the adapter is not seen at all. It don't show in System Prefs/Network, I can't add it, and if i try any terminal commands it reports back 'You cannot set Wi-Fi power because all AirPort network services are disabled'

I am at a complete loss and have no idea what to try. IOReg output included incase it helps. Search for 168C in the ioReg file to find the WDN4800 which is listed as Ar93xx Wireless Network Adapter with DPCMIM

Martin

168c:30 is supported natively. Did you try a fresh install?

168c:30 is supported natively. Did you try a fresh install?

Yes, just yesterday :/

Martin

Installed the following kext files ...

AHCIPortInjector.kext
AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext
AppleACPIPlatform.kext
AppleAHCIPort.kext
AppleIntelE1000e.kext
CalDigitFastIO.kext
CalDigitUSBxHCI.kext
EvOreboot.kext
FakeSMC.kext

Then installed all the apps i use, then the Nvidia Web Drivers for build 13F34, then did the cumulative update including the security update 2015-002.

Rebooted after updates, Apple Nvidia drivers took over, went back to App Store Updates to make sure there was no more to do, Nvidia Driver Manager kicked in and said new drivers for 13F1066 so installed those and rebooted.

Don't know at what point Wi-Fi did a bunk as it was never showing on the menu bar other than when booting from UniBeast :/

Martin

Oops forgot to say Installed FakeSMC HWmonitor and plugins, these were manually removed once i had tested the CPUs were working with SS and Turbo. I also have a fresh patched DSDT and an SSDT generated with ssdtPRGen.sh from a previous mavericks install.

Last edited:
The plot thickens ...

Mar 17 19:14:31 Martins-Mac-Pro.local com.apple.kextd[12]: /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros40.kext - no compatible dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily.
Mar 17 19:14:31 Martins-Mac-Pro.local com.apple.kextd[12]: /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros40.kext - no compatible dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily.
Mar 17 19:14:31 Martins-Mac-Pro.local com.apple.kextd[12]: Can't load /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros40.kext - failed to resolve dependencies.
Mar 17 19:14:31 Martins-Mac-Pro.local com.apple.kextd[12]: Load com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros40 failed; removing personalities from kernel.

The plot thickens ...

Mar 17 19:14:31 Martins-Mac-Pro.local com.apple.kextd[12]: /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros40.kext - no compatible dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily.
Mar 17 19:14:31 Martins-Mac-Pro.local com.apple.kextd[12]: /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros40.kext - no compatible dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily.
Mar 17 19:14:31 Martins-Mac-Pro.local com.apple.kextd[12]: Can't load /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros40.kext - failed to resolve dependencies.
Mar 17 19:14:31 Martins-Mac-Pro.local com.apple.kextd[12]: Load com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros40 failed; removing personalities from kernel.

You must have installed a replacement IONetworkingFamily.kext or removed it entirely.

Restore the vanilla IONetworkingFamily.kext...

Same thing seems to be the case for IOPCIFamily.kext.

There is generally no reason to replace these kexts that the OS X installer provides.

Yeah - Just replaced them both with vanilla kexts, i get system freeze with vanilla ones so just put custom IOPCIFamily.kext back in, I can reboot (obvious really otherwise i wouldn't be typing this) but the WiFi is dead again, I have no idea how to fix that now, but at least i know i don't need the custom IONetworkingFamily now.

Would you know how to edit the IOPCIFamily.kext to make it Wi-Fi friendly again ?

Many thanks for your assistance RehabMan, i know your a busy guy

Martin

With vanilla IONetworkingFamily i now see firewire and bluetooth devices in the System Preferences/Network ..... No wi-Fi though and no option to add one still grrrr! so close!

Yeah - Just replaced them both with vanilla kexts, i get system freeze with vanilla ones so just put custom IOPCIFamily.kext back in, I can reboot (obvious really otherwise i wouldn't be typing this) but the WiFi is dead again, I have no idea how to fix that now, but at least i know i don't need the custom IONetworkingFamily now.

Would you know how to edit the IOPCIFamily.kext to make it Wi-Fi friendly again ?

Many thanks for your assistance RehabMan, i know your a busy guy

Martin

With vanilla IONetworkingFamily i now see firewire and bluetooth devices in the System Preferences/Network ..... No wi-Fi though and no option to add one still grrrr! so close!

You should not expect WiFi to work until the kext can load. The cause is the incompatible IOPCIFamily.kext. Determine what has been done to the IOPCIFamily.kext you're using and patch the vanilla one appropriately. Or find a way to make your system work with the vanilla IOPCIFamily.kext.

The kext files are from this thread ...

http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...e-w8-ds-2x-xeon-e5-2660-gtx-590-3gb-64gb.html

On a Vanilla install my system is so slow that the only way to get things done is with a safe boot. I guess i will have to start again but this time try and see how far i can get without that kext.

The size difference between the two kexts is significant and are beyond my capabilities at present ...

Doh! So close to having it all working too :crazy:

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back