Contribute
Register

Help with new build, Clover configuration for Asus Z97-WS

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would help if you could share your specs and if you’re using clover or opencore. I switched to opencore for the z97 ws a while ago and would highly recommend going down that path, improved functionality across the board.

I have never used legacy booting on it since UEFI booting works perfectly even with multiple OS’s via opencore boot loader and it is much preferred.

I mentioned USB port mapping in reference to the fact macs can only have 15 USB ports per controller. Since this board registers more than 15 USB ports you will need to either use a temporary port limit override or setup a proper usb map where you’ll effectively disable a few ports (mostly unusused internal ports) and create a usbmap.kext to use instead of usbinjectall. Read the opencore guide for more info.

let me know more about your setup and I might be able to help more. Also let me know which bios version you’re using
Can you post a guide on how you did it?

specs:
-z97-ws
-msi 1060 gaming x
-Broadcom BCM94360CD PCIe WiFi Bluetooth card
-Orico PCIe to 7 port USB 3.0 card

using Clover
latest BIOS version

Last edited:
LOL I got sleep working!

Had to use the third party USB 3.0 in MultiBeast.

Edit- Eh... now I can't get it to wake up from sleep.

Edit2- I managed to get the computer to wake up from sleep by hitting the power button, but I noticed when I had did that, when it awoke from sleep, both the keyboard and mouse did not work. Removing the keyboard and mouse from the USB ports they were plugged into and plugging them into other ports, such as the USB 2.0 ports made both the keyboard and mouse work again. I could even switch them back to the ports they were in previously. Later I found out that both the keyboard and the mouse had to be removed from the USB ports in order to get functionality. I could not leave one or the either in, as that would not work. They both had to be removed.
EditX- Looks like I can't have my WiFi Bluetooth card in, as that makes staying asleep not work.

Edit3- Looks like legacy booting from USB works. I used UniBeast Chimera, and the drive set to Master Boot Record.
However, with that being said, I could not get legacy booting from USBs to work for Sierra when the drive was set to Master Boot Record.
EditX- Managed to get this working. I think it was a bad BIOS setting or something. Regardless, it does work. Had to have my keyboard and mouse plugged into my USB 2.0 ports for them to work in the UniBeast Clover boot menu.

Edit4- Legacy booting from GUID internal drives works too. I tested this with Yosemite and Chimera and I have success.

Edit5- Sleep works in Yosemite, but getting it to wake up right is a different story. My monitor just sits there. Using integrated graphics too.
Edit6- This was fixed by installing the 3rd party USB 3.0 in MultiBeast.

Edit7- Looks like Legacy booting from GUID internal drives does not work with Sierra. I keep getting an error, something about "AHCI" even though that's what it's set to in the BIOS. It also keeps installing a UEFI boot option even though legacy is selected and installed. Bummer.

Edit8- So I figured it out! The keyboard and mouse both actually work, they just take a REALLY REALLY long time to kick back on/function again after waking from sleep.

Edit9- Figured out why it kept going to sleep, but then after about maybe two seconds it would immediately wake up, hang there for a while and took a lot of time for the keyboard, mouse, and screen to come back on.
My PCIe to 7 port USB 3.0 card was placed in the wrong PCIe slot. Simply moving the card to another slot made it have the ability to stay asleep.

So in summary, it takes a LONG time to go to sleep, and wake up from sleep, but it works. Even takes a long time to shut down and reboot.

Last edited:
Sounds pretty stressful!

I would honestly go down the Opencore route and leave clover, just follow the Dortania guide for haswell.

Since I'm using a 5700XT on Big Sur my config is going to be quite different to yours. I've attached mine just for reference but I've removed any serial numbers so you'll have to add all that, and assuming you are running high Sierra you'll have to follow any relevant NVIDIA guides since I can't help you with that. I've also removed my USB port mapping and included usbinjext all, you may need to enable XhciPortLimit for your usb mapping.

Since I'm now on Z490 I won't be updating this EFI so just use it as a reference and make your own.

TO BE CLEAR: This EFI will NOT work without modifying the serials and enabling booting with an Nvidia dGPU. Read the dortania guide three times

Good luck!

Edit: sorry for the large file size, my EFI includes the resource folder with all the audio files and custom boot icons I made

Edit2: Due to the shared bandwidth of the Z97-WS I would suggest the following PCIE layout:

PCIEX16_1 - GPU
PCIEX1_1 - WiFi / BT Card (Important for working WiFi)
PCIEX16_2 - EMPTY
PCIEX4_1 - USE THIS INSTEAD OF PCIEX16_3 or PCIEX16_4 (I had an NVME bracket running at X4 in this slot. You can also use the thunderbolt card in this slot or the USB3.1 expansion.
PCIEX16_3 - EMPTY
PCIEX1_2 - EMPTY
PCIEX16_4 - EMPTY

Make sure to enable PCIEX4_1 to use x4 lanes in your BIOS (this will disable some of your rear USB ports too due to shared bandwidth - check the manual for all shared bandwidth conflicts on that board.)

Can confirm I have 0 sleep issues on Z97 WS without any patching, just native Opencore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back